Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lacquer + old-school primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddy's Toy, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Daddy's Toy

Daddy's Toy
    from Pburg NJ

Has anyone tried using today's lacquers over old-school primer? I wonder if there would be a compatibility issue, and if everything should just be done new new new. Does anyone still use lacquer?

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3. indyjps

indyjps

Can ou give more detail on the primer

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm no painter but the last single stage primer I bought was thinned with acetone. Speediprime I think it's called. Acts very much like lacquer primer but I believe it can be topped with polyurethane. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. I have no idea what you mean by old school primer. Lacquer is compatible with most everything but enamel. When you buy your paint, get a P sheet. (procedure instructions)
    That will tell you exactly what your paint can go over.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

You can apply lacquer over any of the modern primers.

You can not apply any of the modern primers over lacquer.

7. You can shoot enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel. The enamel takes longer to gas out and when it is gassing out it causes to lacquer to craze or crackle. I do not know about shooting lacquer over urethane.

There is a lacquer social group and some of these guys know their shit. You may ask your question here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=741

8. 1967gt

1967gt
    from ohio

Stay away from that shit. It wasnt any good in the 70s ..Get with it..you get what you pay for.. you can get bc/cc. Paint approx 350.00 -1200.00 complete. Depending on your taste in color..it looks better and easier to use. .. and dont listen to people who havent done any painting. for gs.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

We currently have double digget unemployment throughout this country, and this guy wants to take the job of a comidian:rolleyes:

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

And after only 17 posts