Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead help in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillyred36, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

As many of you know this has been such a rainy summer in Ohio it has put my garage build months behind schedule. .. I've recently acquired a 51 merc that needs a little help to get it driving down the road and as much as it pains me to say this the only way to get it on the road before the end of fall is to find a shop that can get it ready...I have found it difficult to find anyone in the east central area of OH that is willing to work on a flattie...as I am new to this area (originally from the western states) any referrals would be greatly appreciated...really want to get this car rolling...thanks Dave
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

What kind of work needs to be done? If you need any machine work done on it Fleming machine in Utica is good and quick service.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

No machining work...strictly mechanical...throttle linkage is off...radiator was re-cored but I would like it tested...ignition needs help (pretty sure its the ign button but haven't metered it yet)...new fuel tank and lines...its all simple stuff but I haven't got anywhere to work on her...also, as this is my first flattie it would definitely help to have someone that knows them to go over it with me

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

OMG are you kidding me? Flatheads are all over east central Ohio.... We got are own crowned rodfather and a bunch of guys runnin flatheads. and a few blown flatheads..... If you get a chance to get to the spin out in brimfield you will see them all.... some featured in the hard cover Rodders journal.... My guess is to send a PM over to Diamond Dave he has some great connections to get you in touch with the right people.

5. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

Thanks mustang6147 ... like I said I'm new to the area and just starting to get to know a few people. ..that's why the h.a.m.b. is such a great resource...connects you with people you might otherwise never meet...would love to see those cars ...the garage build has been pushed back to end of Oct.

6. nsh57

nsh57

Where are you located in Ohio?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

Near St. Clairsville

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You may also want to reach out to W V. because your in Southern Ohio on the eastern side. Wheeling is your big closest town.

I am sure there is an engine builder near you, there used to be a lot of flatheads used down that way as well. Brimfield is probably 2 hours north or more of you.

9. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

I had Danny's radiator in Zanesville check the original radiator in the '33.

10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

They're hotrod people, too. Originally, the father had the business, and after he retired, if I remember correctly, the sons split it a bit. One does radiators, one does hoses and something else, and another does the whole heating/cooling thing in a building dressed up like an old Sinclair station. Usually something cool to see parked there.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Unless you need machine shop work, everything you've described is just general mechanic work that doesn't require flathead expertise.

12. mechanic58

mechanic58

I grew up in St. Clairsville. If you're new to the area, be sure to go to town there and try some "Home Pizza". Best pizza on earth IMO.