Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sramoa

sramoa

I am looking for informations these two old big cars:

-Purelube Spl.(maybe Indiana)
    -1930 Schultz special aaa number 119 and likely run by George Schultz.(I think ran Legion Ascot or Oakland)

Thanks

2. sideways27

sideways27

Stan,
    Can you show a picture of the Kenny Worth Sprint Car that you now have? I showed Arlen your pictures and he gave me a lot of information regarding this car. When it was first built it had a flathead motor and they took it out and put it into T Bucket and Arlen took it to San Fernando Drag Strip and ran it thru at 92 MPH that was fast for an old flat head back in the day. That is a rare car indeed as Frank only built four sprinters if I am remembering correctly and this was the first one.

3. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Ihave photos of Roy Prosser in it when it had the four banger in it it was unpainted. Another couple with Bryan and Flattery in when it had a Studebaker V8.Also one with Barker with Hemi. When Kenny Worth owned it it had a
    chevy. My friend Jim Chinni gave me a lot of photos, but sadly none with Johnny Parsons. Gordon Wright gave me a complete rundown of who raced it and race reslts of what it did in AAA. Neat old car.

4. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Here ia photo of Roy Prosser in Tom Barnes Kurtis Sprint chassis X1.

Attached Files:

5. sramoa

sramoa

This is Pure or Purelube special:
    1005209_559077394151156_682573751_n.jpg

6. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I'm not sure where this photo came from but I believe this car ran in the Midwest and was based in Indianapolis in the 1940s and early 50s. I'd like to know more about it. I've been told that black race driver Charlie "Dynamite" Stewart drove this particular car at one point. :)

7. racer76

racer76

Josh, I know this was several yrs ago(rereading the whole post) was the #16 a upright sprinter or a indy style(my dad, Bobby Marvin drove a #16 Nulls roadster in USAC in 62

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

See post 12844
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6086950#post6086950

9. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Stan, there's a picture of Parsons driving the car in Buzz Rose's book "Kings of the Hills", p97. It's probably the April 3, 1949 event at Carrell, presumably its very first race. Unpainted #7, and followed by Mack Hellings in the old Morales nail. Interestingly, both Hellings and Prosser (in the Dietrich V8) finished ahead of Parsons that day!

EDIT: Didn't Jim Chini provide all the pictures for the Buzz Rose books? Maybe you should ask him again... :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

Would like to hear stories about Colby Scroggins...he worked at Blair's at some point in the late '50s or really early '60s, and drove Don's sprint cars. When I started there in the mid'60s he was no longer there but Colby stories remained....

11. sramoa

sramoa

So the only question left is:

12. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

EDIT: Didn't Jim Chini provide all the pictures for the Buzz Rose books? Maybe you should ask him again... :D[/QUOTE]

Mike Ferner, There were loads of us that provided photos to my friend
    buzz Rose for his books. He gave photo credits for every picture he published.
    Now that you made me aware of the Parsons photo I`ll have to find it check the photo credit and get a good copy. If it is Chinni`s I`ll get it from him in a couple days. Thank You!!!

13. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Well, I don't have much, but perhaps better than nothing: George Schultz (no hometown) was listed as the owner of #34 "Schultz Special" on the AAA Pacific Coast circuit in 1930; no drivers, no results. In 1933/4, perhaps the same car ran as #4 in San Diego (Neil's Speedway and Silvergate), drivers Schultz himself, Eddie Waugh, Don Jeancon, Van Edwards and Bill Leasure. Only result I have is a second in a heat to Ora Bean, courtesy Van Edwards (July 15, 1934). It's also the last entry I have for the car. You can call that "obscure"!

14. sramoa

sramoa

Thanks Michael!!!!

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I passed by there two weeks ago towing to Milwaukee Miller Meet and wanted to stop but couldn't find a Speedway sign off the 81.

Hope you or someone will take some photos you can share with us.

If you have the opportunity please stop by and say hello to my compadre, Don Robertson who owns the Gold King Mine up in the ghost town of Jerome AZ.
    Hand built this 1928 Studebaker straight 8 from vehicles abandoned in the town.
    He's pretty excited to be going to this event.

Best Regards
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA
    [​IMG]

17. KK500

KK500

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

It was an Upright, caged sprint car. Very heavy.. If I had to guess, it was built in mid 70's.

The #16 was on it in Chrome Vynil so... no telling what number it was back in the day.

Thanks for reading and joining thread!

J Shaw

19. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Fantastic Millers. the Zenith of race car designs..
    I am looking for past or present photos of the Millers owned by Mitchell Rasansky...(just for personal enjoyment..)Can anyone help?

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

The last event I saw Mitch at was 2011
    Here's link to some photos from that event:
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/c...&page=1&_suid=1374685179890037397419448739583

and here's a shot of both his Millers 1928 FD and 1927 RD at the ceremonial on track photo
    [​IMG]
    If you go to the Miller Offenhauser web sit there's a short video of him piloting the BVS through the pits

carl schulz
    indio, ca

21. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Thanks so much, Carl. Great photos and vid. I had been on the Miller-Offy website so many times, and had never noticed that video before. Made my day!

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just posted this Challenger roller on Dogfight's classifieds. A little new for here, but thought some of you may have interest...thanks

Attached Files:

23. racer76

racer76

Does anybody know who has the #6 Novi that Unser drove in 1963

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I think the Unsers have it in their museum in Albq.

25. racer76

racer76

Thanks Rootie....would like to sit in it one day..dad never got the chance to. but I do have the uniform he was going to wear in 63

26. sideways27

sideways27

I am hoping someone on here can help me out. I am searching for the person or persons that purchased LaVern Nance's (Nance Speed Equipment Co.) I am restoring an old Nance Sprint car and was wondering if there was any inventory left and who may have it. Thank you for any help you may have. You can PM me with any information.

27. sideways27

sideways27

Would anyone on this site know how to get in touch with Allen Nance, LaVern's son? I have a phone number but it is not working. Please PM me if you can help.

28. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

This event may be of interest of those who like the history of American racing. This year we are featuring the work of Frank Kurtis. Arlen will be there with his Sports Car along with another 10-12 Kurtis-Kraft cars.

Mark Randol is bringing his Kurtis-Kraft sprint car. As you may know very few were made.

We will also be featuring four drivers; Buddy Cagle, Gordon Woolley, Bill White and Jim McElreath.

Join us. More info here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bart

29. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

30. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

First guy I met there Friday afternoon was your compadre Don, a very enjoyable guy.

The event was well organized, well attended with 76 cars on the lineup board for Saturday. Unfortunately the rain early Saturday created problems getting the track runnable and although they got the entire program in, the track was compromised.

Sunday the track had been worked over and looked good until the intermittent very light rain created a stop the action situation after only a couple heats had been run.

All in all, with the luncheon, Hall of fame inductions, Saturday running, Sunday lunch and museum touring I think we all had a good time.

Below is a couple photos of Tom Barclay's first time out for his new Wayne Sprinter, the Leon DeRock Offy, and the Claire Cotter flathead V8 in the museum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013