Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE: Is this a good trade? '47 Ford for '60 Bel Air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

he should have had his title work already done from april ! not your problem its not done , nor should it be your expense. as far as the trade? i like both styles, but the ford looks pretty rust free and straight, both need lots o work, and you will find that working on a new project is always funner than an old one. i say if he gets the title done trade, just my 2c.
    goat

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Just a thought, if the title isnt in his name how did he drive it 65 miles to meet you? You did the right thing. titles have to be correct or it just causes headaches.

3. Abomb

Abomb

Having had both (well...a couple of 59 chevies, and a 48 tudor ford) I have to say that the kid did you a favor by trying to title jump...The book may say the values are about equal, but the hiway will tell you that the 60 chevy is a much better driving car. Could you make the Ford into a better road car ? Sure you can, but you WILL be dragging out your tools and your wallet to do so.

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I agree with Thor1 on calling off the deal. It maybe only $150 but it wasn't part of the deal and the kid knew it. The kid has the same hassles ahead to sell his car and he will someday have to get the title in his name or he will miss out on more deals.

5. belair

belair

Smart call, Thor. You did the right thing for a lot of good reasons. Keep the 60 (I regret trading mine), put a 700 or 200 trans in it, and never look back. The world is full of old cars and deals.

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys,

I hear what you are saying but the Bel Air has its issues too.. For me the challenge of turning the Ford into a better road car would have been the fun part. I was planning converting it to a 5 speed and then doing so work on getting it lowered all the way around. The thought of working on a car that is that clean was really appealing.

It's all good either way. Like I said there is still a chance me and the kid can work something out and if it is meant to be it will happen.

I've said it before, but I really do appreciate all of the input you guys have given.

Thor

7. Abomb

Abomb

5 or 6 years ago, I sold this car for $5500. It was a v8 3 speed car with dual 94's, reds headers, a mallory ignition, 12 volt alternator conversion and an electric fan. A T5 would have made the car more road worthy, I suppose, but I was glad to get rid of it for that price...

[​IMG]

While it's true that I am a "chevy guy", I appreciate most cars. I guess I expect any car I have to be highway capable, and I just didn't like the looks of the 48 enough to put in the effort...anyway, do what you will, if we all liked the same stuff, car shows would be boring...:D

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Although I understand what you're saying, I also understand sticking to your principles. The old saying about principles is this:

"Principles are for those who can afford them."

What "afford" means is up to interpretation, but I would have probably walked away too. Besides, I like the BelAir much more...

9. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I'm generally not a big fan of the 60 Chevys, but yours has changed my mind. I love the stance. I had a similar deal on an OT trade and we signed an agreement that he would produce a clear title. The person that owned the car had lost the title and was going to file for a lost title as part of the deal. After a couple of weeks of no title I called the guy I had been dealing with and he said he would give me a bill of sale. I told him no the deal was for a clear title, to which he replied that a bill of sale was the same thing. In Oklahoma a bill of sale would work but I would have had to pay all the back tags to bring it up to date which was why he didn't want to supply a title. I called the deal off but he called a week later with an updated clear title.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In MI it doesn't work as "even trade" as far as I know. They tax your acquisition of something else which is a peeve of mine anyway. I don't think used parts or cars should be taxed at all. Plates and reg fee, done. They taxed once already so what are they taxing? The person's ability to move up or down. Since you have an even trade clause, I fully understand, and I'd assume the person who sold it to him put the full price, and now he's a few sheckles short of the game. Too bad.

I'm still in shock how "undesirable" a 46-7-8 Ford Tudor is in this topic. Not to dis your car, but offer me either one I know what line I'm in, and according to this topic, the short one(!).