Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint street/strip build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thefalconkid, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374715746.324481.jpg Here's a shot before the engine went in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374715794.570483.jpg
    I know it's hard to tell in this pic, but the hood is closed all the way, and I have over 2 inches above the front ram tubes. The hood gets taller as it goes back, so I have even more clearance over the rear ram tubes.

3. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374715981.359255.jpg
    Here's a shot inside, still working on it.

4. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374716057.329042.jpg
    Rear seat area.

5. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I picked up a set of Doug's headers for my 63 1/2, they fit pretty good. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374806380.670985.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374806392.817570.jpg
    I have family coming to visit this weekend, and I am still waiting on some more parts. I hope to have it running next weekend.

6. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375055821.255744.jpg
    Nozzles cleaned, and installed, new hoses installed, getting closer to fire in the hole!

7. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375065137.217500.jpg

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like your building a very nice little Falcon. Love these cars. Back when I was a kid, there were two local Falcons. One had the 260 replaced with a "new" 289 and the second one ran a 327 Chevy. Both were light and fast. By the looks of your motor, yours should be a killer. Nice job.

9. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Love your car. Looks great. How streetable is that injection setup. I hope it works good because it looks great.

10. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I have owned this car for almost 18 years, and have yet to drive it, but I'm getting close. As for the injection, everyone you talk to says you can't drive it on the street, due to the lack of any type of part throttle metering, or accelerator pumps, but then they say it ain't so bad with a stick shift car. You have to run a fuel shutoff valve, and lean it out by closing the valve you can get away with it. I hope to have it running soon, then I'll let you know how it is.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;just heard from Mike,Hilborn found three bad injectors,one almost closed off,throttle shafts loose in their bores,barrel valve full of junk! It is going to cost him big time for the repairs/replacements,but it SHOULD be ready to go when he gets it back!! I hope yours turns out GREAT!!!! ROY.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Truly a very radical build, and I love it! I hope the injection works great, as it's such a cool feature for this great build!

13. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I hope it works too, but now Roy has me thinking I need to double check my barrel valve. I had one clogged nozzle, and I installed new lines, but I guess I overlooked the barrel valve.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;I crewed on an Altered that ran injected on alcohol,the owner never wanted any fuel filters,even though Enderle suggested them.We always had tuning issues,he finally had a tuner come to a race to help tune the car.He found all kinds of junk in the lines,in the injectors,in the tank,everywhere,he convinced the owner to install the filters and replace ALL the lines and clean the tank.The owner did everything,then had someone else drive the car,they managed to break the engine on the burnout!! ROY.

15. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Roy, I can only imagine the crap in there. I do plan in running a filter.

16. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Roy, I do plan on running at least one filter before the pump, maybe one before the barrel valve too, but I don't want to disrupt fuel flow too much.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;the Injection Companies make Hi-Flo filters for their systems that are able to be separated and inspected/replaced as necessary!I would also use a filter on my fuel funnel or fuel jug!!! I hope you do not have the trouble/expense Mike has gone through!!!! ROY.

18. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Roy, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck. I'm sure ill run into my fair share of problems. I hope mike is happy with his setup once he gets it back.

19. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375647753.189566.jpg
    Pedals, and masters mounted, line lock mounted, clutch is almost hooked up. I should have the front brakes plumbed, and the line lock wired today.

20. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375647910.242369.jpg
    Here's a shot of the pedals.

21. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I have to pull the rear out, and weld tabs on it for the brake lines. While I have it out, I'm gonna clean, and check the rear brakes. Also, I have to safety wire all the hardware on the rear Wilwoods. I ordered new u-bolts & new rear shocks from Calvert racing, they should be here tomorrow. I only need a few AN fittings, some hose, spark plugs, oil, alcohol, and a cable for the gas pedal, and one for the fuel shut-off. Should be running really soon!

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;it sounds like you are getting close! That little Falcon will be sweet!!! ROY.

23. Looking great!

24. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375824362.725052.jpg New rear shocks & U-bolts came today.

25. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Well, took the rear out yesterday to run new brake lines, and put it back in with the new u-bolts from Calvert. I went to install the new shocks, and they are way too long. I have to call tomorrow & see if they have something short enough to work for me.

26. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

Brian, Pleasure to meet you at Downs last Friday afternoon! Will keep you posted on my 61 Gasser build. Best, Big John

27. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Same here John.

28. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I know that I've been slacking, but family comes first. I got the rear out, ran new brake lines on the rear, and put it back in with new u-bolts and shocks from Calvert racing. Bleeding the brakes now, sucks doing it by yourself. I was hoping to have it running this week, but like the dumbass I am, I ordered the wrong starter. I'm waiting for the new one to arrive. Once it's here, and in, I can put the headers on & fire it up. I can't wait to take it around the block for the first time!!!

29. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

On the bright side, with the Wilwood brakes, and the torque thrusts, I can access the bleeders with out taking the wheels off, to take the wheels off, I have to unbolt the shocks, and the rear shackles so that the rear hangs low enough to get the tires off. It's a pain in the ass, but I personally do not like cut up wheel openings on falcons.

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;big tires are FUN!! I had that same issue until I had the rearend narrowed 3/4" per side when I switched to big bearings and 35 spline axles,now I just have to jack the Comet up enough to let the rearend go to full droop.Good luck on your fire up!!! ROY.