Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can molasses for rust removal do nany damage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris101_ny, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Scumdog

Scumdog

And don't leave the bits partly submerged - you may find a 'tide line' in the bit at the water/molasses mix surface, an etched ring around it where the top of the fluid was sitting.

2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

But did the molasses cause the pits or did it just clean the rust out of pits that were already there?

3. camcb

camcb

Good reading for me since I bought two rusty Kraft milk cans several weeks ago and put one in a 55gl drum submerged in a weak molasses brew off 50 to 1. That was 3 weeks ago . The drum is covered with its lid and lock rig screwed tight. An eight inch hole provides ventilation since this concoction stinks to no end. So tomorrow if I can find a gas mask and the nerve I will remove the milk can and report back. :( ;)

4. I don't use it on cast iron, anymore. It ruined a pair of camel hump heads. I've noticed the sheet metal that's not completely submerged, will get eaten up quickly. Keep everything completely submerged

5. camcb

camcb

OK so how does compare to electrolysis with regard to cast iron?

6. noboD

noboD

I've not had trouble with cast. Would like to hear and see how it ruined the heads. It will eat aluminum and pot metal, it's only for use on ferrous metal.

7. Thanks Tom, id left two items poking out. Got that sorted, and my mix is roughly seven to one. I have some 28 Hudson spare wheel holders, running board brackets, shock mounts, rear leaf spring u bolts and a 29 Packard interiour cast iron bracket all soaking. This is a learning curve, so i havnt put anything real important in. Ill watch for damage, and check on weekend. One more question, ive got large bucket covered with piece of wood. Should i have it vented? Thanks, Jeff.

8. I have tried this too and find it preferable.

The reason for prefering electrolysis is that the electrolysis, (in this case a reduction reaction for those that remember their high school chemistry), is only working on the oxidised iron. Once that process is complete, that is the iron oxide is reduced to iron in the form of fine black particles and oxygen driven of to the atmosphere, then it effectively turns itself off and leaves the parent material alone.

9. Checked the brew, and no gases or need to ventilate. It dosent even smell strong. Im going to make up a small brew, and test diffrent metals, just for fun, and to see how much damage it causes on diffrent types of metal.

10. NORSON

NORSON

kiwijeff
    Good for you. Post your results. Norm

11. camcb

camcb

Well even with such a weak mix it worked really good! The photo shows the one that has yet to be dipped and that is how the other started. The cleaned one had started to flash rust so a wipe with prep etch shows how the can looked when I first washed it off. [​IMG]

12. bathcollector

bathcollector

Has anyone found Molasses damaging to brass ?? I have some old Amal brass body carbs that the needle has rusted solid into.

13. I was probably that guy - and I guarantee that it caused some weird pitting on the deck surface and some other areas. It was only in the bath for a week or so if I remember. My recommendation is that if you're doing cast iron, that you just check on things as you're soaking it.

Also, definitely do this BEFORE any machine work!

B&S

14. jkski

jkski

only to the rust!

15. 8flat

8flat

yikes that's nuts

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats the recommended procedure for removing the molasses from your nanny when shes done? And pics or it didnt happen.:eek::D
    I bought some carbon rods, I am going to try the electrolisis method