Register now to get rid of these ads!

**Rooster - The 55' International R-110**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wityler, Jul 28, 2013.

1. wityler

wityler

Hey HAMB,

I decided to post a build thread for my '55 International R-110. I did an intro on joining the site and was going to post progress on that thread but I thought the truck deserved it's own thread, for posterity's sake and because I feel like it will help keep me motivated. I've lurked on the HAMB for sometime, I am a member of the JockeyJournal as I have been in and around garage built bikes but decided to get into cars / trucks a little more as I've had some close calls on two wheels lately.

I named the truck Rooster - I think roosters are cool animals, they puff their chests out and strut around, they are loud and proud. And they live on a farm. So it was fitting.

My end goal for the truck is a fun and easy to drive / maintain vehicle, that was built by me (with help) in my garage that me or my GF can drive, take to shows, and just enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I still want the thing to bark and be able to rip the tires loose.

First impressions:
    Truck is pretty solid, engine runs if you dump some fuel in the carb but the tank has pinholes, fuel lines are non-existant, so are the brake lines, one tire is flat off the rim. So not driveable. Electrical was converted to 12V at some point and someone was half way through installing a wiring harness kit. There is mud in the cab corners as well as in other various spots around the truck. Cab is a mess, stinks like mice pee and mildew.

This is the picture of the truck at the previous owners place just before I bought it.
    [​IMG]

And when I got it home:
    [​IMG]

2. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

Cool truck, I have been thinking about getting an international truck. They don't seem too expensive to get into and I like that you rarely see them fixed up. I will be looking for your progress on this thread. Thanks for sharing.

3. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Hi, Wityler!
    There are a few of us IHG guys here. I own IHC trucks including a R100 and R 110.
    Another site you might like is www.oldihc.org
    I can smell the smells you describe. Every old truck guy has had that experience.
    I'll be watching your progress.
    Good Luck, Don

4. wityler

wityler

Next order of Business was to get the truck situated properly in the garage:

[​IMG]

Didn't like in there this way so I decided to move it. Not as easy as it may sound. With one flat tire and only one floor jack - so I borrowed some wheel dollies from work and spun it around. The truck fell off of the floor jack twice.

[​IMG]

Better:
    [​IMG]

Then I had to run new electrical to the garage as I only have a 15A circuit running out. To do any type of welding or anything with a compressor the minimum was a dedicated 20A circuit. Which Is all I had room for / could do myself. My garage is in an alley and is about 20 ft. Away from the house. All electrical is underground - had to pull new wire etc. Not too bad. Then I rigged up a welding table for myself.

[​IMG]

Cleaned the Cab out and started ripping away at the front end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wityler

wityler

Thanks for the Welcome!

Don, I did recently join oldihc.org - Same Username. That's a nice site as well. Lots of nice trucks.

I love the look of IH pickups. I also like that there are not tons of them around. My uncle has been into Scouts since I can remember and I've always loved IH. I found this truck and couldn't get it out of my head for two weeks. I sold my 2005 HD Road King that was my dream bike in order to fund this project. If you know me, you know I loved that bike. Just had too many close calls lately and no longer feel comfortable on it. I live in the city and found myself locking up the brakes a lot with people pulling out in front of me or veering into my lane while texting. Just not worth dying for.

6. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Hey wityler just to let you know I'm also a member of oldIHC and am in the middle of building a '53 R130, '53 R160, AND a 1952 Austin A40. have you decided how to build the '55 yet (drive train)?

7. wityler

wityler

I have decided on what I'd like to do. I'm sorry to those that are purists but I will be hacking this one up a bit. I am going with a SBC / TH400 Drive train. Original rear end. Mustang II style front cross member. Air ride suspension with a 4-link / step notch and bridge over the rear axle. I know this has been done several times but being my first build I don't want to re-re-invent the wheel.

I love the idea of being the frame of reference for others but in this case I just want to keep it somewhat simple. I will try and let some of the details be the difference in this truck.

The final scheme will be Grey, black and Red. So it will be more of a Grey Rooster.
    Grey paint, Black steel wheels / accents and a red seat with other small touches of red.

In the meantime I'd like to go through the original SD220 straight six as well as the trans just to have it.

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw these two things sitting in NE Montana a week ago. They're only two states away from you if you need some spares...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wityler

wityler

Thanks! I'm always looking for extra parts.

The headlight cups are shot on mine and the running boards are gone. I also am missing a few of the emblems.

Where are those in Montana?

My tailgate is shot and so are my rear fenders. The fenders are repairable with a lot of work. Instead I found a guy a bit north of me selling this trailer, It was in really good shape and it came with a R-112 rear axle. I couldn't pass it up. Someone cut up a R-112 sometime and made it into a trailer. I'm using it as a trailer for now but I'm going to swap beds with my truck when I get that far. I'd really like to make a matching trailer to the truck. Air Ride and all. Just have a quick connect air fitting that you hook up when you hook up the trailer. It'd be fun for get togethers and whatnot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Richland: far Northeast corner. They are visible from the main (unpaved) road through town, across the street from the CO-OP (and they are even visible on Google maps imagery...). The lot is undeveloped but I don't know whether or not it's private property. The guys working at the CO-OP would know.

11. wityler

wityler

Cool! thanks for the info.