Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hearses / HAMB Friendly or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldColt, Jul 28, 2013.

1. OldColt

OldColt

Drove by an old hearse yesterday that is used every Halloween for a haunted house advertisement.
    I'm guessing it is based on about a '61-63 Caddy.

Is there just not much interest with rodders and customizers? Maybe to morbid?

An old black hearse with a blown 392 Hemi, 5 Spoke Mags, and some tasteful pinstriping would be over the top cool in my opinion.

--- Steve ---

2. There's a hearse club close by and personally I don't get to excited by them. I really don't understand the one's that go the morbid death looking theme. Not traditional in my opinion but if a guy want's a hearse, we live in he U.S.A and he can have one.

3. Steve,,I'm not into the big hearses but a local funeral home has a pretty cool looking early Dodge. HRP

[​IMG]

4. I never had an appreciation for old hearses, but I have had a few cars
    that smelled like dead people. Whatever floats your boat.

5. 54rat210

54rat210

Old hearses are cool. Even some of the early 1900's. Some of the work that was involved and the design is absolutely amazing. Ive never been much in to tradition.

6. George

George

Used to see a late 30s Packard Hearse @ shows in Miss, looked good best I recall.

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

8. OldColt

OldColt

I was thinking somewhat along these lines. Maybe 30's to 40's era with fat fenders. Something that looks like a proper rod, but is long enough to be unique. No tacky death theme's and crap like that though.

--- Steve ---

9. The Body is hand carved wood. HRP

10. Hell, if a '59 Rambler 4-door is HAMB friendly why wouldn't a beautiful old custom coachwork vehicle like a hearse be? I personally like old hearses - not for the death, spiderweb, goth, skull thing - but because they are usually beautifully crafted old vehicles.

I know that some people get so freaked out by them that they almost get violent. Maybe it reminds them of their own mortality, I don't know. I'm not superstitious, nor does it scare me that so many people took their last ride in it. I would be more freaked out by an old ambulance.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Friend of mine in high school had a band, and a 55 Pontiac hearse to cart the equipment around in. Silver, with a black vinyl top. Forget what kind of wheels were on it, but it was a good looking car. 287 and a Hydro. I'll bet he wishes he still had it. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. I have a '56 and love the custom coachwork they did back then. Unless your brain is stuck on the morbid aspect, it's just another custom car.

Attached Files:

13. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I love old hearse, had a 66 and about the question about HAMB friendly, Hell yes there cool!
    Look at the Boot Hill express.

14. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

HAMB FRIENDLY ????

Might depend on if you are driving or lying in the back ????

15. slammed

slammed

Now OP, why do you think there has not been too many of these things made into a custom/rod/camper/driver? Ever bury someone you really, really cared for? Bingo.

16. OldColt

OldColt

Thanks for the link mashed. I'm having some java settings issues right now, and didn't hit anything.

Good reading, and this one caught my eye. hearse.jpg

Just add five spoke mags, a blower scoop barely peeping out the hood, and some dark metallic violet paint.

Personally, a hearse wouldn't be my first choice of car (at least for a few more years lol), but they are cool to look at if done right.

--- Steve ---

17. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

The early ambulances often doubled as hearses. Would be kinda weird, today.
    So ambulances should be included here, too?
    I owned a WWII Packard ambulance that the US miliary bought for a local military installation and it was cool!
    Along the way it was it used by the Cholame Ambulance Service in Cholame, CA.
    Don't remember Cholame? That's where James Dean died in 1955.
    I put in on eBay as "James Dean's Last Ride"!
    People went nuts.
    Sold it to a Packard-loving mortician in the North West.
    Very cool.

Attached Files:

18. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

BTW, the hood scoops aren't for the engine. The US Military was BIG on fresh air for the sick and injured.

19. I remember see a early Dodge very similar to the one I posted made into a hot rod back in the 70's that had the paint striped and the owner had stained the wood,,it was nice. HRP

20. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

To each their own- personally they give me the fricken creeps.

21. George

George

Recently saw a motorcycle towing a trailer, the trailer was made out of a coffin!

22. guitard

guitard

Just be careful and clean it real good. I've heard you can catch some kind of funereal disease...

23. guitard

guitard

My cousin Mal had one, but it was so big when he was trying to get away from a speeding ticket... (sigh)...

...there was nowhere formaldehyde.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah....NECROPHILIA! (thought I caught it when I was married to my ex wife...)

25. That's funny! :D HRP

26. waterhorse

waterhorse

There is a whole 'Proffesional Car Collectors Society' that is based on Ambulances, Hearses and flower cars. I really respect the effort in keeping these custom contracted body styles alive.....so to speak.:D

27. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

They make great donor cars since they were often lower mileage vehicles. Never got into them myself but have a friend who is into caddy's and has had a few hearse, amblulances and limos and really likes them. Likes 'em big, takes all kinds. :)

28. guitard

guitard

My father has one - when I was a kid I'd fly out for visits in CA and one time he picked me up at the airport in it... 56 Pontiac hearse, rake, moon discs. This was early '80s. Being a sales rep on the road a lot (not in the hearse of course), he did buy a casket for the back... and wrote it off as a tool box.

29. bathcollector

bathcollector

Hahaha, very good.

30. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

I have four, my wife has one.....always lookin' for more.
    Just a big 'ol station wagon. Drove my '88 Lincoln daily for a year and a half, would go out of my way to run errands for the shop!
    We belong to the Chariots of the Dead out of Joplin, MO, be sure and check out the Nation Hearse and Ambulance Association on the web too!