Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 international spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shanebaby, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Shanebaby

Shanebaby
    from Ky

I have a 47 international KB5. It has two piece wheels. I need to swap spindles to something different so I can use regular bolt on wheels. What spindles will fit? If here is something close I can machine them to fit

2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

A KB-5 has huge wheelwells, it's a 1.5 ton truck.
    Even if you could change spindles to put half-ton wheels on it, how are you going to deal with the acres of space between the tires and the fenders?
    Lower it? Sure, but if you're going to do that better purchase an appropriate
    half-ton axle and have it dropped by Nostlgia Sid.
    I love these old IHCs, I own lots of them.
    I often think what you're thinking, but the fact is 1.5 ton is too different from
    half-ton for TRADITIONAL hot rodding.
    I may get shot for saying it, but maybe a different frame?
    I'd be glad to talk about these trucks anytime.
    Good luck, Don

3. mechanic58

mechanic58

Go here - these guys will be able to answer all of your questions.

The website is kinda weird - when you go that first page, click the link that takes you to the forums. Good buncha guys on there. Very helpful.

4. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I'm on that site, we are nice guys!

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

Ha! Me too! Come to think of it I'm on just about every automotive-type forum on the internet! lol

6. Terraizer

Terraizer

The KB5 was offered with 2 types of wheels, the 2 piece wheels (outside ring with center as the hub/drum) and a one piece wheel with a large 5 lug patten (way larger then any 1/2 ton pickup), pretty sure both used the same spindle, you just need to find the other hub and drum plus the other wheels. The KB-5 like stated is a 1.5 ton truck, with a larger frame, springs and axles, the fenders are longer at the lower rear then the smaller pickup and the wheel opening is a bit larger, other then that the fender is the same size over all, you just need to shorten the lower 2.5"s and its just a pickup fender is a little larger opening. The cab.hood, grill, inner fenders, radiator support are the same from K-1(1/2 ton) through K5(1.5 Ton).

7. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I have the other hub and drum assemblies. But what about the rear axle?
    With the different hubs, now it takes Budd 20" split rims.
    Still not traditional. I personally have no problem with it.
    How does he get the truck lowered, though?
    I completely understand the need to hot rod.
    But maybe another vehicle would be a little easier?
    Or show me I'm wrong, hot rod the heck out of it and I'll learn something.
    Not a bit of meanness in this post, i guarantee it!

8. Shanebaby

Shanebaby
    from Ky

Smog guy could you post some pics of the wheels and hubs you have? What is the bolt pattern? My spindles look the same as a Chevy or ford but they are a larger diameter. The outer bearing is .937 (15/16) and the inner is 1.562 (1 9/16). I think the disc brake conversions from speedway have 3/4 and 1 3/8 bearings. I guess I could machine my spindles down and use one of those kits. I do own a machine shop so it wouldn't cost me anything.

9. Shanebaby

Shanebaby
    from Ky

Here is a pic of my spindles
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

On the half ton truck axles I've been installing 48-52 F-1 Ford spindles. When dropping those axles I set the inclination to match those spindles. With the f1 spindles there are all kinds of brakes that fit those.

www.droppedaxles.com

11. iarodder

iarodder

Not sure if it helps or not but my brother has a '47 international KB-2 i believe, and he just had a machine shop turn his down to accept chevy hub/rotors off a chevelle and the bearings. It worked out awesome. That way we could just re-use the stock front axle, and the spindles would just bolt right back up.

12. bcook

bcook

shanebaby, what have you done with those spindles?...any chance you would sell?.. pm me..thanks Ben

13. adam401

adam401

in my previous off topic aicooled vw life drop spindles were made (long ago before aftermarket recasts)by taking two pairs of spindles, cutting the axle stub off the one to be attached to the suspension and welding a second with the bosses cut off the back offset to lower (or raise). To the first one.

You could do the same thing but with 2 different dpindles to change brakes/wheels and lowers at the same time.

track width only widened bywidth of the flange on the spindle on each side. Just a thought

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I realise this is an old thread but...

If it was my truck I would be looking for a whole new axle. 1 1/2 ton trucks use leaf spring solid axle suspension still don't they? If I could find one with springs the same width apart I would bolt it on and have modern disc brakes, later king pins and all (easy to get parts for).

I would try to cabbage the rear axle off the same truck and have compatible brakes, wheels and all.

15. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Old Sprint cars use those spindles, do they have a 1" king pin ? I have a set with 6 pin knockoffs and Wilwood disc brakes. Chris

16. silversink

silversink

If anyone needs 1/2T stuff message me

17. gladiator

gladiator

I,m wondering if you or anybody on here know about wildmanbills international front end convertion from drums to disk ,, I need a template he has to finish this project have all the other parts but this thanks and please ask your friends if they might know I seen him on here a while back I have just joined this page ? thank you

18. gladiator

gladiator

sorry my first time

19. rickl

rickl

gladiator, bill is active on oldihc.org and has posted his front disc brake conversion many times.

rick