Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ester Eddie, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I just got a neat old Ford from a friend . It's got a 322 nailhead under the hood . It needed a water pump so I ordered one . Now I'm waiting on the "belt pulley" to arrive in the mail . I work 6 days a week so this will be my Sunday fixer upper

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

3. ChefMike

ChefMike

you have a great friend ! very nice truck best of luck to you !

4. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks Mike. It's seems like most guys I know are into Subarus or newer trucks. This is right up my alley. I may try to turn it into a Wrecker if not a nice flat bed will do for now .

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Anyone else here own one of these Fords ?

6. hosedagain

hosedagain
    from Canada

Enjoy your Sundays,

7. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I try my best to enjoy every day but yeah Sundays will be the most enjoyable .

8. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Welcome! Nice truck, should move out fine with that nailhead!

Are you aware of the dangers of Widowmaker wheels? You've got them on there. They are very dangerous!

9. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks Ross. No not really Ive heard of split rims before. I'll have to do so reading up on them.

I hope I don't have to hard of a time finding new rims for it .

10. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

We took a '49 F-4 apart 2 years ago. The frame went under a Reo cab & nose, & the running engine is going into a '34 phaeton soon. Nice cab & nose is available ...

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

13. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I've never done that before. I'm sure it's possible . I was just hoping to get her going and drive around before it snows.

14. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Does anyone know of any rims that will fit this ?

15. 19.5 5 lug wheels from 70s era dodge motor home. there are also some 5 lug 22.5 wheels from f600 trucks in late 50s and 60s. I have also heard 5 lug Studebaker and international harvester will work. There is a lot of info on this subject on the ford truck enthusiast forum. I have a 49 f5 with the same issue going to use the stock wheels for now. Most tire shops wont touch them but they are not difficult to change with common sense. Most newer frames have a wider track with than your truck. Cab overs have wider fenders making late frame swaps easier so that's why you see so many of them going this rout.

16. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Hey thanks those links lead me to tons of info I'll be needing . I appreciate you taking the time to post it for me.

You too Anthony thanks man

I work at a scrap yard up here so maybe my chances of finding different rims/wheels will be better then the average joe .

I just hope the fan and pulley get here by the week end .

17. Check out the FTE site, FORD TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS!

18. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Will do that right now. I haven't really been on any other site besides the hamb .

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I just went and looked at the rims. I see a outer ring but not sure if they are split in the center.

20. That front wheel looks like a lock ring type, perfectly good if the contact area between ring and rim are OK and not badly rusted away.
    The rear wheel is hard to see, but might be a two piece, these rims can be used if they in excellent condition, I run a pair on the front of my '57 F600. A REAL tire man at a REAL tire shop that does truck work should be able to check them.

21. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I took better pic of rear tires. Ill see if I can upload from my phone .

22. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

50' F1 here. You have a great piece of machinery.

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few better photos .I just don't see how these can be 2 pieces of rim that join in the center .They seem kinda thin.

24. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Kool! I'm working on a '36 Ton and a half, I think it has the same bolt pattern and wheel! BUT, I want to go faster than 40! Mine has something like a 5.67 rear gear. I'm thinking of changing the rear axle to a 60's one ton and changing the front hubs to match. I'll probably go with a Y-Block and a 5 speed O.D. trans. How is the weather up there? P.S., in response to your wheel question; you have the outside lock ring style, that's the ring on the inside pic of your second photo.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  25. those don't look like the widow makers on my truck. do a google on split rims and you should be able to confirm.. I drug home a 49 f5 this spring that i was going to part for other projects but my son decided he would like to have it fixed to drive to school so looks like I have another project to deal with. Brake parts for that truck are not hard to find but tires are high. I think these big trucks are cool.

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Hey thanks Mike . Iwannaflattie an someone else posted some really useful links in regards to these wheel/rims. Your 36 sounds cool too. Weather here is rainy clouds rainy a little sunshine. I wish it had the original motor but the nailhead is pretty good from what I hear. It all new to me.

27. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I'm glad you don't think they are either. My son is six as long as it takes to finish these projects I should start on his car/ truck now. Lol. Best if luck on getting it going in time for school.

28. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Ok the pulley came in the mail now to track down the fan and spacer and should be good to go.

[​IMG]

29. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

neat truck. my dad and i are doing a 50 ford f4 right now. we scored a 1974 superior motorhome that had wheels that would fit. plus a 440! 1970's dodge, superiors, some winnibagos, and i think some ford motorhomes used 5 on 8 wheels that will work for you.

30. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks ...yeah now its just a matter of waiting for one to show up at the crusher at my work.I'm sure something will roll in before it snows .