Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2013 Meltdown Drags thread, real vintage drag meet, July 20-21 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. oldwilly

oldwilly

To say our entire group had fun....is the understatement of the year!
    We had a blast!
    Hats off to Eric,Paul,AJ,Smokey Moe and the rest of the MDA crew!
    You really out did yourselves this year!
    We had a blast doing the Gasser Shoot-out with the Great Lakes Gassers.
    They are a great group of guys with some great cars!
    We are already looking forward to next year!
    Thanks again for a job well done!
    Ron
    Nostalgia Gassers Racing Association

2. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Had a BLAST!!!! Broke a frayed throttle cable all the way unloading the car Sunday night. That's part of why I didn't make Sunday passes. Ticket as a DD on Saturday night in the Big Cat, Slept in a truck cab all weekend! AND STILL HAD AN AMAZING TIME!!! Model A John it was good seeing you and the Chevy II again! Mr. Johnny Rotten, GREAT meeting you! Kamp, Awesome time hanging at our lil Model A speed mecca along the fence. To my pals Mr Nick32vic, both the Ukrop Brothers, and Zach. LETS DO IT AGAIN! Is it next year yet? To the Whole MDA you dudes are a class act!

3. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Relic Stew, me and my better half attended on Saturday..... what a truly incredible event; words cannot do it justice.

many many thanks go to the organizers of the event for their vision and hard work. thanks also to all of the entries who came from far and wide to attend the event.

on a personal note, i met and talked some with Quain Stott at Sam's Drive In when the Stott clan showed up there for the cruise and some grub Saturday evening. He is a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

4. olskool61

olskool61

Thanks to all that attended and all that helped! I met some great people this weekend!! It was great to be a part of reliving our past!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

6. Outstanding show and racing as always. Hanging with my brothers the Twisted Pistons, seeing old friends and making new ones is the cats ass. Dang I gotta wait 360+ days till the next one? Will be a long year!

7. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

FED DRIVER UPDATE
    On a more serious note……I just spoke to the driver of the FED….he is leaving the hospital and in good spirits. He has 3 broken ribs but is doing great! I would like to add this quote from him “You guys put on one hell of a show and I am disappointed I wasn’t able to see the rest of it.” The MDA and all friends and supporters are happy to hear he is doing well.
    On a side note, I would also like to mention that the video someone posted is NOT funny, it is NOT entertainment, there is a person in that car, someone’s husband, brother, father, fellow Hot Rodder, and it took some brave people to go up to a Nitro Motor running full out to extinguish it……this situation was terrible but could have been so much worse.
    People stating they should have cut the mag or used the kill switch…….that would have turned the engine into a bomb, The crew did EXACTLY what they should have done to properly cut the motor off……so thank you to one of the crew who knew to extinguish the engine through the injectors…..any other way and it would have become a bomb!!
    Racing is fun, but things can go wrong in a blink of an eye, the driver clearly had someone watching out for him….and all of us this past weekend!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  8. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

On behalf of the Meltdown Drags Association....
    and by the way....the association is NOT an exclusive group...you support the event your part of the association!

THANK YOU to all that brought race cars, car show cars, swap meet/vending items, pinup girls, burlesque girl, Byron Track Staff....and to all spectators who came to watch and support the event!

Nostalgia Gasser Racing Association, Great Lakes Gassers, Y-Block club not only attended but contributed to the Goodie Bags for racers.....THANK YOU....

Rock Chevrolet, Gasser Wars Magazine, BZ Rods, Rooster six customs, Morley Performance engines, Fabcraft, Streamline Design, Hot Rod Radio, Hot Rod Honeys,
    Miller/Coors, Gears & Gals Magazine, Bangshift, Dan Lau, Al Tuscher, Bob Huberty, and many many more.....these people/business listed above truly support and ADD to the
    Meltdown Drags....things they donated and gave went right to participants which is FANTASTIC!!!!

I also want to give a big special thanks to Paul Zielsdorf, Art Zangerle, Smokey Moe Petersen, Tom Bucek, Steve & Jack Liberto, Dave & Jeff Koopmeiners, Nick Myskowski, Kip Hansberry, Jeff & Joe Brothers Racing, Big E, Jeff, Eric Steffanelli and his father, all the wife's and girlfriends who helped at the t-shirt booth all weekend and put up with this shit all year long!
    (I am sure I am forgetting someone I apologize it was not intentional)
    You guys are great guys.....and when you say your going to do something you do it...and you can be counted on. That is #1 in my book and I know it is in yours as well!!!! THANK YOU guys for helping make, and helping be part of something great!

9. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Had an amazing weekend! Well post a couple pics when I get a spare moment. Ps goodie bags?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

goodie bags went to the first 150 pre registered they were awsum! thanks again,,

11. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that is a tough oil pan......have not seen that in a while....

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I guess I missed mine, I thought it was the first 150 that shown up that were pre registered. Unless it was just for # 1-150?

I wish more cars would have stayed for sunday, maybe give the racers half off or something for sunday to entice more to race both days? Kinda disappointing really. The only real down thing for me outside of my car issues.

I would have ran both full days but had a few small issues so stayed and watched instead until the storm came in.

13. ...what time did it rain? I left about 3:00 PM,...I hit a little on the way home.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  14. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374725897.251630.jpg yep tore it down tonight , hope the head is good ill have it checked this week some time has a dinger in it ?? I'll post some pics of the block tomorrow it's a goner Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

SBC 355ci.

Meltdown Drags 2013 July 19-21

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Too Bad , I have a killer deal on a 565 BB (all parts new in boxes) short block
    I do have some NEW 6" Howards alu rods if you are interested

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I think they announced about that time a storm was coming in, right after someone oiled down the track. I figured with the drive I had time to get out of there.

19. When can I preregister for next year.

20. The track staff got the oil down taken care of fairly quick, but the rain came shortly .AJ and I still managed to get in our annual grudge race with the rain starting to hit the windshield as we crossed the 1000 foot mark of the track.

21. Anytime, We already have several!

22. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

how do we preregister paul?

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A big thanks to everybody that was involved in putting on the best show in drag racing. I've been racing since 1975 watching since the late 60s and I have to say the meltdown drags was one of the best times I've had in a long time. Modern day racing has lost it thrill to me but this deal has brought it back. What ever y'all do keep it the way you have it don't let the modern day stuff in, they have plenty of places to race we don't. I don't know if I will be able to be back next year but I will do my best to be there. Thanks again from the Stott family.

24. Sit tight for a few weeks, if you absolutely can't wait email [email protected] a picture of your car with the wheels your going to run. We may need to ask a few more things but that is yet to be determined.

25. Thank you for making it Quain. It was great to have you and Donavan there and to see you both run so hard and then take the cars to town for dinner. I sure hope you come back with a possie. Did you tell everyone what they missed yet?

26. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Well looks like I already red light for next year....sent my email off today! Lol

27. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i can wait,,,

28. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey which trophy did you get? Our shop made the trophies, but I missed them getting handed out.

29. Saxxon

Saxxon

This one... I wasn't there when they handed them out, my brother accepted it in out pit area. He deserves a lot of credit for the Scout build so having him being part of the presentation sits just fine with me.

Cool trophies. Well done.

Attached Files: