Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstripe newbie question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rokkett77, Jul 25, 2013.

1. I bought one of Kustom Shop pinstriping starter kits a few months back. I haven't had as much time as I would like so I've only cracked open a couple of the cans. I opened one of the cans tonight and it was kind of thick and gloppy - kinda like it was starting to dry up. Has anyone else used this product and what has been your experience with it?

Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Airwolf

Airwolf

Usually just about any enamels for pinstriping and lettering are going to need some reducing anyway. As long as the colors/pigments still thoroughly mix you should be fine. Get some small dixie cups and pour the needed amount in them, reduce until you get the brush to load and get some good flow.

If you want some good practice panels, get some old washer / dryer lids. Keep some rags and thinner handy and just clean them up when your done.

3. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Yes, this is normal for striping and lettering enamels. If it looks like it is starting to separate or is a bit crusty in the middle from not being closed tightly, it could be brought back to life, but its not worth the risk on that new cherry paint job!. The stuff comes in the canister just about as thick as tooth paste, maybe a bit thicker. There are some great how-to vids on the web on striping by hand that shows a whole lot in the way of how its done, such as loading the brush, starting and stopping, and caring for those expensive camel or squirrel hair brushes. Anywho, its not as hard as it looks and with a bit of practice and the help of some outliners tape (if you don't have a super steady hand) you can do a pretty good job. Good luck

4. Thanks guys. I have the stuff out on the garage and was worried that the heat may have gotten to it. It did seem to mix ok after I added the reducer.

I have been practicing on a roughly 12" x 12" glass picture frame and it works pretty well - easy to remove mistakes. I used the Kuston shop brushes and a couple Kafka brushes that I got when I ordered the kit. The Kafka brushes are gonna take some getting used to. I think I am going to score a couple cans of 1shot and a couple mac brushes for comparison.

5. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

rokkett77, there is a problem with the Kustom Shop Paint. Throw the stuff away & buy some 1-shot or Ronan enamels.We used to sell the stuff b, but got tired of complaints & no answers from Kustom Shop.
    www.xcaliberart.com

6. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

1 shot is awesome, you'll be happy w/ it. I used to use mineral spirits to reduce...haven't done anything in about 20 years & was recently considering playing around w/ it again.

7. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

One shot is the good stuff! I have to agree. I have used the others but One Shot flows nicest and is easier to control IMO. I just had the best luck with it:D

8. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

I'm very partial to 1shot. It's easy to use and it's sold at a local art store in my area. Try it for sure. I have the Kafka brushes and they have been tough for me, I have Mack's and after I learned to trim them I love them. Several months back I bought the Excalibur brushes and was blown away. I love them and that's what I use most of the time now. Just remember its different for everyone. What works for me may be miserable for you and practice constantly. There's a lot of really good artists on this site that helped me so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck!

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have used a product for the past 30 years that prevents the skin from forming over the top of the cans of One Shot paint.

The product is called Paint Sav and it is manufactured by a company located in Bay Pines, Florida called Sapphire Paints.

It comes in pint cans and all you need to do is put in a few drops and mix the paint a little and put the lid back on and your paint will be fine. I purchased two pints cans years ago and it works like a charm.

This product sometimes is not easy to find but I think Sid Moses sells it on his web site.

Do a search for Sid Moses who is located in Calif. I forget the town he is in.

Now a day's I only letter once in a blue moon but when I open my old lettering box and take the top off a can of One Shot there is no skin.

Try it and you will love it.

One other trick I learned years ago was to take a plastic Tupperware container and lay your brushes in it and then pour in some mineral spirits so that the brushes are completely covered and then just put the plastic lid back on and your brushes will last for years. You just need to wipe them off before you start using them again.

What kills all paint brushes is being exposed to air and all the junk that's in it.

I still use the exact same brushes that I used twenty years ago and they are like brand new.

Hope that helps. Jimbo

10. I had bought the 10 color started kit from Kustom Shop - TCP Global and it seemed to be a good deal. I didn't read any negative reviews about it so I figured it was ok. I agree that TCP Global didn't offer much in the way of technical help or product info for that matter.

That chemical to prevent drying out sounds like a good idea, I'll have to see if can find some.

I would like to again say thanks to everyone for thier input, it's been enlightening.

11. Jimbo, you don't use any kind of brush oil, motor oil etc on your brushes?

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey rokkett,

havent used Kustom Shop paint, but over time , all paint will get ''thick & gloppy''! If the paint had become too lumpy, strain it, and remove the lumps, and transfer the strained paint to a smaller container. Pour the paint to the top of the container, and leave no room for air inside. Store in a cool ,dry place with the lid of the container pointed down.

Pratice pulling straight, uniform lines on broom sticks, until you can run several lines of uniform spacing the length of the broom handle. Too, pratice pulling same lines vertically as well as horizontally each pratice session. These sessions will teach you proper brush loading, and pulling straight lines the length of a vehicle.;)

'' Homie don't play that thing ''

13. Abomb

Abomb

Not long ago I spent several hours on the web trying to find some paint sav, and had absolutely no luck, evn chased down the Sid Moses lead with no luck. Does anybody have a current source for this stuff, or a similar product ???

Oh, as for the origanal poster / thread starter, I bought a couple of cans, and HATED kustom shop paint, there is no comparison between it and one shot. I would recommend picking some one shot up if you find yourself frustrated with the K shop stuff ...

14. Just a heads up,keep your brushes in a sealed container,,moths will eat the bristle. HRP

15. VonDad

VonDad

Ronan lettering enamels are pretty decent too.

You can find them on the web, I use Rayco sign supply and Davinci art supply to get them. Both have really great service.

Most of all keep at it. Pretty soon you'll get the feel for the drag of the paint. Too much reduce. Too watery dip it in the paint again.. Make sure you pallet pallet and then pallet the brush a little more to make sure all the hairs are takin paint and there you go. Use an old magazine or catalog for a pallet. Throw it away when you're done.

Hit youtube. Watch everybody. Always be up for new ideas. And practice practice practice.

You can do it.

VonDad

16. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Google Bloxygen. It's stuff you squirt into a can of paint as you seal the lid.