Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john51mer, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. again thanks for all the great comments. I was so happy when I got to my car. I want to have it in paint within the next few months and then I will be thrilled to death. I have attached a few more pics of here. The pics look good but do not do her justice. The lines on this car just flow together so well. This has been a long time coming to see her come together, but to see her in one color is simply amazing ven though it is only primer, and to see it all done in steel is even better. Larry and Chris have worked some serious magic on this car. Every part on this car has been modified in so shape or form.

Attached Files:

2. Good for you John! Looking great!

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

John, your Merc is looking real "spiffy". Nice job and well done.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great, John! Larry and Chris do some amazing work.

5. Demon V8

Demon V8

Read all the "up in arms" ranting in regards to billet wheels. While I admire traditional rods, to each their own. And there are definitely some nice Mercs with billet wheels. My favorite is Bobby Rice's '49 Mercury built by Fesler. One of the prettiest Mercs I've ever seen and an inspiration for my project. Keep up the great work on your car and I look forward to seeing your future posts!

Attached Files:

6. Yeah that's a nice Merc it's not in the spirit of the HAMB but of course we can appreciate many aspects of a car like that.

7. Well considering this is a TRADITIONAL SITE then I consider it insulting that you call it ranting..:eek:
    How about reading the rules and doing an intro first instead of stirring.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. alright fellow hambers time to get the mercury done. I am back in Iraq on a new job and time to finish her up. Giving Larry a call and tell him to roll on.

10. natoinc

natoinc

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy....:cool:
    Cant wait to see this Merc finished. She is already beautiful with all the work Larry and the crew have done. Be careful over in the sandbox and remember...were all pic-mongers....

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to stop by Larry's next week while on my way to Charlotte and check it out again. Love this build!

Be safe in Iraq!

12. hell yea thanks and let me know what u think of her. check out the dash too and see if you like.

13. A hint at my headlights. A little different but I like it!!!! Hope to get to see her in September when I return from Iraq
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

14. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Looking good man!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, I haven't had a chance to drop by Larry's lately. If I do, I will post something up for you.

16. choppachris

choppachris

Wow, just read this whole thread and what a ride. This is the stuff dreams are made of. Now whoever has seen my car will understand why I call it a beater, haha. Very nice car man (understatement of the year), can't wait to see it done!

17. Rockable no problem man, I know how it is when you are real busy. It should be ready for paint in the next week or two. I got to call HOK so I can get some special mixtures for my color, but if you get buy there it will greatly appreciated, and give me your thoughts on how she is looking. Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I915 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Choppachris, thanks for the nice post. Like you with your car, this has always been my dream car, and with me working overseas I decided now was the time to do something about it. I did not intend to go this in depth with a car, but I am a firm believer in do it right the first time or not at all plus a littl extra cash never hurts. I am so ready to have her completed but my motivation is dwindling , because of the extensive build time. However I think once she gets paint on here, I will begin to see the light at the end of this forever long tunnel. Again thaks for the ecstatic words and I will use them to build the much needed kick in the ass that will get her done.

19. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

like the thread, good call on getting a quality paint product/job. had mine painted about 6 months ago and wish i'd had it done differently, looks good but it has a few minor issues

20. Ok please explain. I am all ears.

21. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Now thats good stuff!!!!

23. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

John I think he meant his car had a few issues not your Lol

Posted while on the run with Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

25. mikes51

mikes51

The car looks good, especially the top. Looks like the last shop took and flattened the rear half of the roof, which it needed. You're doin a fantastic job considering it's by "remote control" from another country.

I know you are planning to show the car and then drive it after the show circuit is finished. I recall years ago, there was a pretty big controversy on this site about the safety of strutless Mustang 2 type lower a arms. Does anyone else remember that?

Reason being, when you start driving on those regular roads, there is extreme stress put on where the wide a arm transfers all the stress to the narrow lower cross member. Hopefully someone remembers what the final conclusion to that debate was. Thinking about the safety of your car and it's occupants.
    [​IMG]

26. Mike51 I am unsure about that debate, but all i can say is that if the Art Morrison chassis had any bad issues or if they weren't designed to work. They damn sure would not be around selling them for this long. I understand what you are trying to say but that is why I went to such a reputable builder of the frame to elminate any problems. This is not a piece meal frame, this is a completely designed frame for my car, the engine, tranny and axle. I bought a complete roller for my car and have heard nothing but rave reviews about Art Morison chassis' s, but really thank you for your concern and any imput is well noted.

27. mikes51

mikes51

I tried searching for the thread. I found some related threads but guess what, they all were talking about the company that supposedly pioneered the strutless Mustang2 style suspension. That company mentioned is not Morrison. So unless some old time HAMBer's chime in, probably nothing to worry.

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  29. I have read them and seems to be talking alot about shortning the cross member or lengthening it. Also about double flex in lower a arm, either way it is a mute point. I bought this chassis and dont plan on changing it. Lol I still have faith in my chassis, and whole lot of it for Art Morrison's work too. I believe in my heart that he would not build anything that would hurt or cause harm to anybody. However I do appreciate the concern.

30. mikes51

mikes51

I couldn't open up that link. I remember now we're talking apples and oranges. The old thread was about a rod that was almost a daily driver. It was driven in winter storms and pot hole filled roads. When you finish your show quality Merc it's going to be trailered in any questionable road conditions. I would do the same to keep the value of my investment. So we are talking about two different driving conditions.

On second thought I regret bringing up the subject. So let's get back to looking at your progress pics.

19Fordy, thanks, I got the link to work. Cosmo's car was mentioned in one of the threads. That was the one I was thinking of.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013