Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs RAISING the front of my Shoebox Ford——Ditching the 3" JAMCO springs for 2" Aerostars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MainProp, Sep 23, 2012.

1. 58CountrySedan

58CountrySedan

Ordered everything today hopefully it all works and ordered 2 inch block kit for rear!! Thanks for the tip!!!

2. Dillrod

Dillrod

Gona order these when I get the cash

3. zcwagner

zcwagner
    from Tucson

MainProp, You the man! Thank you for the post. Less than $200 for this stance. jamco? fatman? ha ha ha. Im on it and I #$%ing love it amigo.

4. chop32

chop32

Perfect timing, Im just about to un-airbag the front of my '49 Coupe and this info saves me a lot of searching...Thanks!

5. You're welcome guys.
    Remember, I DO have the FATMAN 2.5" dropped uprights installed WITH the 2" Aerostar springs...

6. chop32

chop32

Mine does too, Im also going from a 6.40 to a 6.70 Firestone, so I should pretty much have the same stance as you.

7. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

I just installed the aerostar springs and the shocks that were recommended on my 59 Ranchero wow what an improvement. Had cut coils and bad ride. It raised it about an 1" But sometimes you have to sacrifice cool for function. This is my daily driver.

8. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Great to see another 51 Fordor on the roads. Looks very clean and minimal..the same avenue i went down. Thanks for the thread....the next area i need to attend too on mine :)

9. zcwagner

zcwagner
    from Tucson

After messing around for too long, I just ordered these. I have to wait a week but free shipping is free shipping. Thinking about just flipping spindles upside down and side to side. how hard can it be.

10. A better question would be: "Why don't people do that?"

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. daddio211

daddio211

Search for Rocky's post on doing this, I think he wrote it around 2004. Not hard, but bending the spindle arms to the exact angle is critical.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. Iggys31

Iggys31

It looks like even with cutting the ends of the eyelets on the bottom mount of the shock, It is too narrow. Barely hanging on half a bolt per side. Any issues with this?

13. I used large, thick washers on both sides to maximize the coverage of the shock mount. No issues.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  14. Iggys31

Iggys31

Thanks. I will post a shot once it is done.

15. Great post. I should mention thou for the guys with 49-50 fords, the 51, i believe, has a higher driveshaft tunnel. I noticed that on my friends 51. I raised my tunnel my 50 to the same as the xmember underneath.with 3 inch blocks and i'm on the edge.
    May try this shock conversion as i'm running nos stockers i had laying around with areostar springs.

16. mlagusis

mlagusis

I plan on putting Aerostar springs on my 58 Edsel.

I wonder if companies like Moog notice an increase in demand for Aerostar springs and find it odd. I can just picture someone looking at a production report thinking, "wow, people must be restoring these Aerostars now."

17. daddio211

daddio211

LMAO, I've wondered the same thing!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

18. daddio211

daddio211

19. bab59

bab59

20. mooch-ass grassy-ass...

21. MainProp, you said you were running FATMAN 2.5" dropped uprights installed with the 2" Aerostar springs. After this combo was installed did you front wheels have negative camber at all?

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The difference is in the tunnel hump as 1951 was the first year for Ford-O-Matics,some sheet metal suppliers have '51 humps available.If swapping an SBF and C4 into a 1949-50 it clears, an AOD will not but will clear in a '51.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good info, thanks!

24. U-235

U-235

Interesting on the tunnel height difference between the years....I'd never heard that before. My 51 coupe is lowered in the back with 4" de-arched springs from Jamco and 3 inch blocks for a total of 7 inches with nary a problem.....no driveshaft scraping.

25. daddio211

daddio211

Post a pic of your car please, I'd love to see it as I'm planning something similar for my '50. Did you notch your chassis for more rear axle clearance?

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

26. I definitely did have negative camber, but you can adjust it out with the upper eccentric.

27. Sportypaul

Sportypaul
    from England

This is a great post ! I'm just importing a 50 Shoebox (thanks to Poopbox :eek:) ) It has some front bottoming out issues, i'll be looking to order these parts and see if I can get them shipped over here. Don't think it will be free postage though lol ! This has saved me hours of trawling the net for info. Thank you !!

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

This goes to show, you can make magic in the moog catalog, that's where i found '70 442 ragtop w/AC springs for the front of my '65 el camino daily!
    Cut one coil off, and it's stock height, 500 or550lb rate and handles like a badass!

29. What the F happened to all my pictures on this thread? The text on my original post got jacked-up as well. I'm sure everything got screwed-up changing over to the new HAMB format. It appears I can't edit the text or add the photo's back, so here's a link to the pictures I had posted... they are in my Shoebox photo album in my profile. Sorry everyone, this thread sucks without the pics... If someone knows how I can fix it, let me know.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/my-old-51-ford-custom-deluxe-fordor.5972/