Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GAZ 12 «ZIM» Custom coupe (Russian build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razer, May 8, 2013.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

That looks like an early 50's Buick hood. Cool build.

2. Soviet

Soviet

Beautiful lines. Давай, давай!

3. sawzall

sawzall

very very interesting

4. Great project.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great looking design. I'm really enjoying following along. Some great metal shaping skills.
    A shop with a glass wall to let in plenty of natural light is refreshing. Most shops are dark caves.

Attached Files:

6. fryguy

fryguy

Looking forward to seeing this one come to completion "GAZ" Zooks

-fryguy

7. <hr style="color:#e5e5e5; background-color:#e5e5e5" size="1"> Subscribed!

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Very nice design. Super-quality workmanship.

But Cadzilla has already been built. I would have kept it as a large, executive limo, complete with chop and four doors (suicide rear doors ala Facel Vega). But then, I like to be different.

Interesting how the Soviet designers knocked off both Hudson and Cadillac. How proletarian!

9. they have another russian build, its a post era build ( which is not permitted on this board ) and that car came back from nothing on another forum/ site

i have to give it to you all, using n anything at hand to come up with something ...

10. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Hi to everyone!
    My name's Igor Sukhinin and I'm a builder of this interesting project.
    I'm glad to see you enjoying Nikita's desigh and my vision and quality of work!
    Thank you!

Well, I didn't want to build one more Cadzilla, repeat its interior or exterior ideas. Project is fully designer work. Lots of cars of that time have similar design solutions. But it doesn't mean that Pontiac was copied from Cadillac or Buick!

Executive limo in ZIM's style - very good idea. I'll build it next if client will be found!

Can you send me a link to this project? Very interesting!

11. sent and welcome aboard .....

12. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Body shape's very striking. So all sheets of skin will be pressed to the frame. This frame defines the geometry of the body. 0.8 mm steel was choosen for body skin. This steel is easier to work. It will reduce weight without loss of body's strength. Tailgate and hood will be made of aluminum to reduce the weight.

Tailgate's contour is made from shaped tube (15x15 mm). After that forming plates was started. Pattern of the bottom plate is made of heavy cardboard. Then this pattern was transferred to the steel billet. After - steel billet was formed to required volume. Forming flat steel to volume is very interesting piece of work. And it brings moral satisfaction. As a result of hard work stunning lines of the body were formed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There aren't all the necessary equipment in the studio to make work quickly and easily. So I have to use the old and proven methods. Steel billets are shrinking on the perimeter. Then the item is seeking to acquire a new form. Then the central part is beaten by rubber dresser on a solid spherical surface (Igor uses for this empty gas tank).Then the item is finalized by plastic dresser on car bench. During the process item is tried in place and trimmed if necessary. At the conclusion detail's mirrored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When all the parts are ready, joints are carefully padded. Where the plates are bonded by spot welding, the joints are pretreated by welding soil.

[​IMG]

Platforms of rear lights are made in accordance with the form prescribed by design project. As well as the C-pillar, they are made by folding the edge projecting beyond the plywood template, with the only difference being that the edge of the workpiece laid at 90 degrees is not necessary, it is enough variable angle from 30 to 45 degrees. Internal presswork is made by folding machine. Platform were installed on the body and fixed by braces of 3 mm wire. Position of platform is absolutely symmetrical.This is very important because they define a silhouette and symmetry of rear wings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--

Photo by Danila Romankov

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  13. Looks good. Turn on the lights next time. I can't see anything.

14. Wow!
    I am very, very impressed. I can see the art of shaping metal is still very much alive in Russia!

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes, you do have to follow the client's wishes. Thanks you for seeing the merit of my 4-door sedan/limo proposal. Your workmanship appears to be world-class

16. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

Well, it's photographer's vision. He shooted only that you need to see. All the photos were taken during the day.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You guys show plenty, man. I love it!

18. Bumgaz

Bumgaz

You have just a little information. There're lots of excellent masters in Russia! Also those who were my teachers.

19. Tin Can

Tin Can

Very cool project. Subscribed

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing this thing all together.

21. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Beautifully work. I can't wait to see it evolve....

22. Interesting! A few years ago I did this in photoshop!!!

Attached Files:

23. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Amazing work, will follow this thread for sure!

24. 4444Design

4444Design

25. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Simply amazing work!

Continue to provide updates!

What is the timeframe for this project?

26. j hansen

j hansen

Subscribed! The design and workquality are amazing.

27. Holy shit. what a great build! I love the look of your design...like a buick or caddy sedanette!~

28. wow cant wait to see more of it

29. remarkable work and love the camera angles ....

30. Great project, subscribed.... M