Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know the weight of a Model A body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VoodooChile, Jul 25, 2013.

1. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

I'm trying to get a shipping quote for a Model A Fordor body shell (no frame or glass)...anyone have any idea what the weight would be????

I used to have a '30 Tudor sedan and my father and I could pick up the body shell (minus doors) pretty easily...so I'm guessing the shell without the doors was in the 200 pound range..with doors prolly 250-ish.

So maybe a Fordor would be around 300lbs????

2. best bet is to go to the ford barn and ask there
    my guess would be in th 4-500 lb range
    just transfered a coupe body onto a trailer and it was pretty heavy and that doesnt have half the wood that a 4 door has
    tk

3. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

From the MAFCA website....

Bodies

Roadster body 465

Tudor Sedan body 726

Phaeton body 549

Fordor (2 window) body 782

Cabriolet body 575

Fordor (3 window) body 786

Coupe body 591

Town Sedan body 810

Sport Coupe body 596

4. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

Thanks for the input guys...I should have mentioned it is just the bare body shell...no wood, no glass, no top canvas/chicken wire, no fenders, no hood, no grille shell...etc.

The weights off the MAFCA website must be a whole lot more than just the body shell... That, or my father and I are some strong m*therf*ckers to throw around a Tudor Sedan body like we did....

5. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

That's probably the full weight of a body with all glass, wood, upholstery etc. Might give you a ball park though.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat info. Does "body" mean from just the firewall to tail lights including the glass or would that mean all the stuff above the frame - from the grille, hood, hood sides, fenders, aprons, running boards, plus main body and glass, too? Gary

7. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Your the Model A Man Clint!
    The windshield frame w/glass adds a lot.

8. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

That's what I was thinking....my father and I lifted my Tudor Sedan body (shell only, cowl to backpanel, no glass, wood or floor) and I KNOW it wasn't anywhere near 726 pounds. Incidentally, that body had a filled roof from an old Dodge Caravan too...still pretty light.

9. a 30 sedan is all wood
    it wouldnt be held together at all if there was no wood
    tk

10. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

No sir. A '30 Ford Model A Tudor sedan has wood in it to support the interior upholstery only. There is no structural wood.... Besides the wooden spacer blocks between the body and chassis.

11. True, but you said four door sedan in your original post
    Tk

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

Pete, I've read just about every Model A book, restoration guide, and the judging standards front to back and I still feel like I don't know shit about them haha. Coupe's lookin' good btw.