Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Vintage air install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40_tudor, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 40_tudor

40_tudor

Just bought a Vintage Air Gen II for my 40 at Good-Guys.
    Getting ready to put it in, any tips or don't do's?

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'll be watching this too as I want to put air in my 40 Im building now. Please post your thoughts and suggestions as this goes in.

3. I have installed air in two different cars. Vintage has a great product. "READ AND FALLOW THE INSTRCTIONS"!!!!! They will help if you need it.
    Good luck.

4. 40_tudor

40_tudor

Since you&#8217;re still building your 40, it would be a whole lot easier to install if you pulled the dash out so you don&#8217;t have to stand on your head to get it lined up. I&#8217;ve got mine wired and I&#8217;ve been driving it so it would be a lot harder to pull the dash.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

don't run your lines/hoses thru the firewall. run the drier and lines between the inner fender and fender on the passenger side. drill holes in the passenger side cowl

6. cafekid

cafekid

This is how I run the lines on customers projects. I also build hangars for the lines to mount off the hardware that bolts the inner to the fender, that way there are no extra holes or hardware.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Depending on what unit you purchased the cowl vent handle and mechanism will interfere with the installation. If you still want the use of the cowl vent I would recommend mounting your unit so you can use it. This takes some planning so mock it up prior to actually drilling the holes for the brackets. I weld my brackets so no holes are through the firewall. If you look at Old Scrounger here on the HAMB he has done many installations and knows all the tricks. Keep the firewall clean and you will be happy.

gmc1941 likes this.
  8. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I think Tim goes by Olscrounger here..

9. cbillelder

cbillelder

One thing Vintageair does is offer a "mockup" unit for doing your layout under the dash. These are just an empty case, which is a lot lighter than the real unit and easier to handle under the dash for locating brackets, etc. You buy it from them (about $50) and you can send it back for a refund if you buy a unit from them. I really liked working with it, even though my dash was not yet permanently installed.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'd stay away from the vents that go in the ash tray location. I ordered a set for a 40 I did a few years back and just didn't like the way they looked/worked. good in theory but...

can't speak to the unit itself, used one from a competitor. hung the unit with only the wipers in place (cowl vent was filled).

olscrounger likes this.
  11. cryobug

cryobug

Remove your dash if you can and make sure you tilt the unit back so it will drain the condensation. Use the ashtray vents they make for a Forty, if you don't your vents will be to low, also do your best to have a middle vent. If you haven&#8217;t got interior in the car yet insulate all you can or you will be running the A/C on high all the time and it will still barely cool the car. I like to use Lizard Skin ( or make your own http://www.hytechsales.com/ ) and a Dynamat type of insulation for sound deadening.
    Vintage air is a great product and this isn't a bad install at all. Just be patient.

12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

If you want a set of the ash tray vents send me a pm. I have a set used for mock up only that were replaced for another option. I'll do you right on them.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

done a bunch ----no lines thru firewall,cowl vent functional,no ashtray vents--still have short glove box---nothing odd under the hood--very little shows inside as well--send me a PM--have done 12 so far in 40's since 02--doing one now,a 40 std coupe

14. Tim, it would be great if you could take the time to take some pictures for us.:)

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

will do this am

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here are some pics I hope-stock knobs control ac,you can see one vent behind radio grille--other are at corners of dash under the edge-pass kick panel has alot ot stuff but is hidden by panel-kick panel is out at bottom 1" from stock=cowl vent functional-hope this helps someone=not quite done yet but you can get the idea. ac is held to firewall with small stove bolts painted that look like ford rivets on firewall elsewhere

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

more pics-there is a soft rubber flap near the top of the fender rear that hides stuff somewhat and blows back when fan is on or driving.Excuse the mess-not finished with many items-still need to do the stock column with detents and finish radio/XM install and lots of other stuff too-not done yet---maybe in 3 weeks I hope

Attached Files:

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

heres the air in my 40 dlx. You can use the defroster vents that come in the ac kit--just need to modify a little to clear wiper mechanisms-much easier to do with dash out but can be done with dash in as well--just more difficult

Attached Files:

19. don't use the ashtray vents that Vintage Air sells. there are two types of `40 ashtrays...they don't fit one style at all , and the other style don't fit worth a crap

20. 40_tudor

40_tudor

Lots of good ideas to work with. I have the computer in the side kick panel so I might have to move it to run the hoses through the side. Looks clean that way. I bought a set of ash try vents from the dealer I bought the Gen II from, got them last night, don&#8217;t fit for shit. Anyone need ashtray vents, cheap?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for the pictures Olscrounger, they will help.<o:p></o:p>

21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I ran my hoses outside also but havent completed everything yet. good to know it works, I was concerned. also I love the idea of the vents in the speaker grille. But I have the a/c controls, cruise control switch, and heated seat switches on an engine turned aluminum panel in place of the grille

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

"there is a soft rubber flap near the top of the fender "
    Tim, could you show us a picture, or maybe explain a little more. Thanks for continuing to share your builds with us.

23. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

See Pic MVC-017F.JPG there is a rubber flap that has been added between the top of the fender and the top of the battery to hide where the hoses enter the side panel to the inside of the car

24. Weasel

Weasel

Tim, thanks for the photos - very useful. I am about to install a VA Gen II supercooler in my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and have a Bob Drake dash with ac vents in place of the ashtrays. I also have a stash box behind the speaker but that is taken up by my traditional Pioneer App Radio 6" screen so I am wondering where to locate a center air vent which should be as hidden as possible. The dash is not yet bolted in place so that should help with the ease of installation. I seem to recall Steve Moal offers some drop down vents which disappear when not in use - has anybody used these?

25. papastoyss

papastoyss

The Bob Drake chorme vents look nice but they are a PIA to install in an original '40 dash. They are not large enough OD to cover the ash tray hole which means welding in a patch & then resizing the hole & filing 3 notches in the od of the hole for the teeeny mounting screws which thread in from the backside.Also the nipple is smaller than a standard 2" duct hose. But they sure look nice!

26. harley rider

harley rider

thats a great idea the way you ran your hoses .I am going to install a Vintage air in our 39 chevy soon .will probably do the same thing . Thanks for sharing. Alan

27. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

agreed here. that's the route I took after trying the ash tray vents first.

28. push_rod

push_rod

Your AC installations look great! I really like the way you made things appear to almost be "stock". I ran my AC hoses in a similar manner, but inside the engine compartment.

I also used the stock 40 knobs on my coupe, and dad's tudor.
    I see that you used all cigar lighter knobs, I used those on my coupe; I just cut the threads off the backside.
    I used light switch knobs on dad's tudor. The light switch knob shaft can be removed from the knobs and the hole drilled out a bit; they have a cupped skirt that completely covers the switch attachment nuts (cleaner looking). With the exception of the actual light switch knobs, I sanded off the "L" (or the "O" dot on the cigar lighter knobs I used on my coupe). I then cut single letters into each knob that matched the "art-decco" style, and painted them to match stock knob lettering ("F" for fan speed; "H" for heat, "T" for temperature."C" for cool.). I turned down cigar lighter knobs to make radio, turn signal, and column tilt knobs. I opened up the hole in a stock gear shift knob, and glued it onto the later shift lever.

push_rod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  29. Thanks for the pix Tim. I'm still leaning towards using Old Air's system because I can keep my cowl vent and it leaves more room under the dash, or at least that's what I'm told.......

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I used Vintage Air and used Rocky Hinges power vent set up. both work great