Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The July 4th and 5th AARA Vintage meet at Van Wert, OH drew 19 cars '50's and older.

There were 6 stock block midgets, 3 were Studebaker 6 cyl Champion powered, one Continental 6 cyl, and two Ford V8-60's.

There were 4 Kurtis Offy, one of which is in a rail frame.

The TQ heats had 3 Crosley powered cars.

The Big Car heat had 6 cars. A Ranger 6 cylinder air cooled, an Ardun converted flat head Ford V8, a Model B 4 cylinder flat head Ford, a 241 Dodge Hemi, a flat head Ford V8, and a Chevy I-6.

Attached are starting lineup photos of each class (the Chev is missing) taken by Roger Grevenkamp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. Spike Gillespie

Spike Gillespie

It looks like this thread is in critical condition.

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is a small update on my car. I got a new to me set of vintage style wheels from keiser and a set of focus slicks from Eddie Griffith. Hope to make the vintage meet at Salem Aug 10.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1374025077.057315.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Good for you for being the only response questioning this and with an obvious interest in the older cars

I may have taken some literary license in catagorically calling the Offy powered heat "Kurtis Offy's".

Many of the prewar and early post war rail frame Offy powered cars at some point in their racing life were re-bodied with Kurtis or Kurtis copy bodies to upgrade their look or to replace crash damage.

Also there were very few Kurtis rails, only four of which were finished after the war, while the new tube frame cars were just in production.

I did question the owner and heard what he knows for sure about the car. I will verify that and provide it when available.

With many of the old cars, accurate history is a blessing, partial history is common, no history more common (I've had two of those) and bullshit is rampant.

In the meantime here are photos requested all by Roger Grevenkamp. Note that unlike most rail frame cars, the body covers the frame rails and suggests a body replacement as discussed above.

Attached Files:

5. ...just when I thought this car just could not get any better......a real credit to you Neil.....

6. deuce354

deuce354

The steering wheel on #7 is really cool!!

7. ....found myself in PA last week.....called into the E.M.M.R....cool

Attached Files:

8. ...took loads of photos,but don't know what this motor is....can you help I.D it for me?

Attached Files:

9. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I think it is a Crosley from a TQ midget.

10. ....
    .....thanks mate.....

11. jimg12

jimg12

That is a Crosley with a stock fuel pump, intake and ex. manifolds. The water pump is not stock.

12. ...thanks jimg12.....how much power would one of those make,and please forgive the dumb question,but what is a TQ midget?

13. sideways27

sideways27

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Back in the 50’s and 60’s the Crosley motor was one of the preferred motors and I would estimate that it would make around 100 HP +. TQ stands for Three Quarter Midget. It was approximately 10 inch’s shorter in wheel base than a full midget. They were a great car for the young kids and there were a lot of older guys that could not afford to run the full midgets due to cost. Big named drivers like Mike Mosley, Bobby Olivero, Mike Olivero, Jimmy Cauthers, Danny Cauthers, Dean Thompson, Danny McKnight, the Jones brothers and many more all drove the TQ’s before going on to bigger race cars.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here's how it could have made any where near 100HP from it's 45 cubic inch single overhead cam design.

It did have five main bearings and the block and cylinder head were a single casting like the midget Offenhauser engines but those were double overhead cam.

Interestingly, the Offy midget engines were three main bearing.

Attached Files:

15. ...thank you for all the info guys.....I'm learning all the time.....love the blower with the SU....

16. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Update images for the Lithgow/Edmunds CBM-7 midget. Going slow, as I only work on restoration when in Ohio-several months a year.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

17. .....that is so nice....

18. Frye jr

Frye jr

I wish my wife would let me work on my race car in the living room. Those cars are a work of art. They don't make them like that anymore. Nice work.

19. jimg12

jimg12

Blacki, hurry up I am getting OLD.

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That's funny!

21. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

My wife traded me the family room for the garage. Our townhome (yea I'm building the car in a townhome) has a single car garage and she wanted to park her car inside. I get air, heat, finished bath, TV, etc. sounded like a fair trade to me. Family room is walk out, but the sliding doors won't allow enough room to get the finished car out. Could remove the entire sliders, or convert family room into "man cave" and just leave the midget in the cave.

Yea, Jim I am getting old too.

Blacki-Suede

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

23. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

I have some info about one of bob higman midgets and a old offy midget I'm tring to identify the maker of chassis , but can't figure out how to load pictures from IPhone ?first time on here and would like some help researching these cars . Thanks

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Your first move might be to contact Ed Hitze right there in Lafayette.

25. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

I still can't figure out how to load the picture from I phone, anybody know how? Thanks

26. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

image.jpg the picture I took with my phone wont up load but the one from other websites will?

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I think the Shannon SESCO lives down in Australia nowdays.

28. Kurtisoffy1201

Kurtisoffy1201

image.jpg these are the two midgets I was talking about earlier today, the higman rice car is in front and the old offy car is behind it. I will try to get there to night and take more pic of the offy car to try and Id the chassis. The hig car was restored 12 years ago by Chris Poulson note the white film still on the plexiglass and has never been out of climate control since restoration.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  29. jimg12

jimg12

The first car that Higman builtfor the Shannons was new for 67, it had an Offy in it. Sessions was the first driver.

30. KKx125

KKx125

Yes, The Higman/ Shannon Sesco lives in New South Wales (Australia).I believe early in its life, it had an Offy fitted. Larry Rice came Down Under (Australia) Shortly before his passing and ran the Higman Car at a Vintage Midget event at the famous Ekka track in Brisbane where Larry and Numerous Americans had raced Midgets Including Bob Tattersal, Leroy Warriner, Merle Bettenhausen, Mel Kenyon, Rich Vogler, AJ Foyt Sleepy Tripp And Many More