Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Are you into Vintage Motorcycles too? Hope to see you at Hershey in October. Bob [​IMG]

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I can FINALLY say I'm working on the car again.

How fast the last year flew! Another year gone and another year not done. It's taken a solid year to get settled in here in North Carolina. Unplanned house projects have kept me busy, but that should be no surprise for me, since this car has been nothing but a series of unplanned events that only slowed things down...

Enough of that though. Here's what's been going on...

The first cramming of everything into the garage

[​IMG]

After spending months of reorganizing, unpacking, I'm back on it. My little 75 year old garage didn't have enough power to run all my machines, compressor, welders, etc., so that was the first step after getting organized. Thanks to a good buddy and HAMB member, knoxbrendon, for helping pull in some new cable and get the power all situated. Then I spent a solid weekend getting the compressor all plumbed in so I would have clean dry air available so painting is possible.

Very excited to get this body done! I have an uphill battle with the weather here. Trying to get body and paint work done before it gets too hot and humid. So I think this is all going to happen pretty quick... HOPEFULLY!

Before stripping it down and pulling the body

[​IMG]

My buddy Mikey happen to stop over and pushed me to pull the body while he was there... so we did. So now I'm setup, organized, and ready to get this seal coat sanded off and finish the prep and body work so I can get some color on this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the body off and consuming the whole garage, the chassis had to go somewhere. HAHA! One more reason to hurry up and get this body done so it can go back on the chassis

[​IMG]

Lot more to come! Might have to start a new thread, though. This thread is getting HUGE.

Thanks for following!

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice brickwork on the garage. Glad you are back working on the car. Bob

4. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looking good Scoot. Garage looks good. Looking forward to more updates.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Dyce

Dyce

Good to see your getting back to it Scott!! Your new house and shop look very nice, congrats!! Keep us posted...

6. BarryA

BarryA

Great to see you back on this Scott - one of my all time favourites on here!

7. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Glad to see you back at it Scooter. I've been away myself, only had time to check subscriptions from time to time. Glad to see your thread on the list.

Can't wait to see it finished!

8. Right on Scott glad to see you back at it! I look forward to your updates.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So nice to see posts again on your car. But I'm confused... will you continue posting here or on that other thread you created a few years (!) back? Gary

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

glad to see you back at it,looks like a cool house

11. a bloke

a bloke

Cool - I have enjoyed watching this build-up.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! Feels good to post something. And I appreciate the words on the house/garage. Both need a lot of work, but hey... It's home. :)

I think I'll start a new thread and post a link here when I have something more to post. Would probably be easiest.

Just psyched to be working. I gotta' get this chapter closed and more importantly...

...I NEED TO DRIVE THIS DAMN THING! :eek:

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Serious question, and it goes to others with long time builds, do you think the drive will be as much fun as the build? Bob :confused:

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's even half as fun as the build, I'll be happy. :)

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

haha Congrats Scott!!!

That's something I often wonder on my T coupe... will I really enjoy the ride or will it beat me to death? It won't be like driving my 59 olds around!! No Floating!! :)

16. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

17. 73RR

73RR

I think you still owe me a ride, so get busy...:D

When do you start construction on the garage expansion?

18. VERY happy for you!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man! Thanks! And congrats on going ALL THE WAY HEMI! :D

The garage ceiling is 12-1/2 feet tall! I l LOVE the tall ceilings. Unfortunately, the ceiling joists aren't substantial enough to hang much from them. Which sucks, because the machining equipment would benefit from a beam installed. HOWEVER. Eventually we plan to sister up all the joists and build a room above it. There is a substantial space above that is completely unused. The one thing I WILL be doing is hanging my Model A coupe body upside down from the ceiling, since I have the room. Need a garden shed for the rest of the lawn type stuff and then it will be in REALLY good shape. Still very workable as it sits.

ABSOLUTELY I owe you a ride! I didn't forget! :D

Hope to pour the slab for the new garage/shop in 2015. This garage will have to do until then. Fingers crossed I can make that happen.

Thanks buddy! Have we heard your T run yet?? ;):D

Thanks man!!

HAHAHAHA! That's awesome! And what a great movie, too!

20. It didn't take long to fill the garage up......

21. Good to hear its back on Scoot! Hope to see you this summer.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! And I still have to build a louver press for another project I'm working on. :eek: I've had to actually move a few things to part of the house that's we're using for storage. I have a coupe body INSIDE the house until I can put it together and hang it. HAHA! I need that garden shed soon!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! And I'm sure you will!

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

25. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Yeah! And I still have to build a louver press for another project I'm working on. :eek:"

A Porsche hood doesn't look right with louvers! vic

Scooter5-1.jpg

26. llonning

llonning

I was wondering about you and the car the other day. Glad you are back on it again. I know about the house thing. Too much to do and not enough time/money to get it done all at once.

Len

27. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Man this car is amazing, luv it. pics don't do it justice

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sort of... Nothing visual worth looking at.

I've been desperately trying to wrap up the body work on the doors. Couple problem areas down low with the patch panels. I had to basically rebuild the inner and outer portions of the doors from scratch, so now that I'm getting everything smoothed out, I'm seeing some imperfections... All this should be read as... I'm doing some filler work. :D It's not terrible, but with the dark paint it all has to be perfect!

Now, with all that being said, between having to deal with seemingly unending rain, having a roof replaced and putting my foot through the ceiling of the kitchen and having to redo the entire ceiling in the most used room in the house, I got side-tracked... again. :( BUT! Now that the kitchen is wrapped up and the rain is slowing down (knock on wood) I'm going to start getting back out there to finish things. Then it's just battling 90 degree temps and 90% humidity. I'll be glad when summer is over.

Here's the major plan...

* finish the last of the body work on the cab
    * finish body work on the doors
    * paint interior and fire wall
    * paint doors and exterior
    * paint garnish moldings and misc. little pieces
    * finish exhaust, install clutch and t-out bearing, and have a drive shaft made before body goes back on
    * chop new windshield and polish
    * reassemble body to chassis
    * run brake and fuel lines
    * wire
    * glass
    * sew up interior
    * last details
    * go drive the wheels off it.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of steps in there, but that's about where things are.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AGREED! Has to be perfect no matter what paint... I got too specific. :D

Yeah, I'm trying to get some circulation going in the garage with a neat old industrial fan I scored at an antique mall. Should have that up and running this weekend. That will help get things done. When I first started building this car, I made the initial cuts and almost the entire frame build in 110+ degrees weather. But that was a "dry heat" :rolleyes:. The humidity with all the rain we've had is killing me without some decent circulation. And raw metal is just rusting faster than I can treat it, so I've been laying low and working on other things. The best part is trying to work in the evening, but then the bugs swarm the garage! HAHA! (shaking head) "Go to the light!"

I'm thinking very seriously about just stopping on body work until it cools down a bit, and just finishing up the exhaust and other drive line stuff. Weather won't effect that much.