Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2013 Meltdown Drags thread, real vintage drag meet, July 20-21 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I'ma who cares what it looks like typa guy as long as it works.....

2. josh77

josh77

Thanks for another great year! My Tudor ran it's best time ever, and it didn't have to leave on a trailer this year. I can't wait for Meltdown Drags 2014!!!!

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

Well kids it's 8:50 am Monday morning and this part of the Canadian contingent just walked into the house.

We left at 2:30 Sunday and stopped for supper in Tomah Wisc.
    That would be 4 sweaty guys in a crew cab for 17+ hours for the return trip.

Worth every minute...Thank you all for putting it on and / or being part of it.
    At least this time we didn't get swiped by a semi like the trip down...

And ... What the hell is with all the highway construction...??? Holy crap !!!
    (Can't believe I came home with Canadian beer... )

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. Dandydan

Dandydan

Thanks for a great time. Hopefully we will be racing there next year.

5. josh77

josh77

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Here's a few pics.

Meltdown Drags 2013 July 19-21

Attached Files:

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Josh thanks for the pic of my Vette at the line and at Sams. It was great meeting you and your dad. Sorry we did not get a chance to run each other. Hopefully next year. You did a great job with your car. Watched your car run and it ran great.Jim

9. 60 ford

60 ford

My son and I rode up from Southern Indiana on Friday. The show was awsome, a big thanks to everyone involved.

10. Jamoke

Jamoke

Hey Sam thanks for all the help you and your club members gave me setting up at the swap and good talking to you and all the Tin Busters , your a great group of hooligans...... if I ever wanted to be part of a club your my type of people .. Thanks Tommy

Hey, thanks, ...but that was not my car; I just tried to emilate that car with my 37. That car belongs to a guy I know and I'm told he still owns it, but never gets it out. That photo was shot in 1965....I had the photo autographed today by the great track announcer Ron Leek; whom I've enjoyed listening to at Byron since about 1964. Ron knows the owner and the car and has tried to get him get it back on the road.
    As a sidenote, BJ, the track owner came over to my car to personally thank me and our club for helping out with the Meltdown event.
    ... now that's real appreciation! ...he saw the photo and had to take a photo of it for himself.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

11. josh77

josh77

Thanks Jim, it was nice meeting you too! I absolutely LOVE your Corvette! You're in the position I was last year, new car "bugs". This year however, my car worked great. The driver on the other hand could use some more practice.....:eek:

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Took a camera but was too busy to take any LOL. Here's one taken by a family member, ran a best of 12.4 still has plenty left in it.

[​IMG]

13. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thanks Guys.......we had a blast!!
    I took a coupla newbees with me and they both said this was the best event they ever went to. I had a ball........
    Met some great people and had so many people to talk to I lost my voice
    The cruze in was good........
    The burlesk......needs more staff
    Treein Quain Stott.............WAY COOL
    Givin MR and MRS Zettle a pass down the track for their 40tn anaversery= priceless

Thank you to ALL who put this together.......we will be back Johnny

The Tree......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QXeOOQc2c

14. ardyboy

ardyboy

Wow awesome pics and cars. It's too bad that Syracuse and the Blue Suede clashed. Everyone gets pulled in different directions. We were in Norwalk. It was good racing but more of these fine pieces would have been great. I guess summer is just too short in the north. Thanks for sharing everyone.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

What a great event. Possibly the hottest and most humid 3 days ever but that didn't stop the show. Dropped at least a dozen or so folks in their tracks which tended to put a slow down on the event waiting for ambulances but as expected, the Meltdown and Byron track / town crews responded well.

The quality of the cars went way up over last year. Very few junkers and barn finds running laps. The vast majority of the cars were well built and far more running balls out over last year. The Gasser shoot out was awesome to say the least. Having Quain and Donovan Stott as part of the event was a huge value add. What a show they put on. Even Mark Krupa's not so period correct FED was a great addition. Gotta love mid 6 second passes at over 200 mph.

The Meltdown crew went above an beyond with their organization, hospitality and generally with the overall even itself. Genius to bring back the old t-shirts. I spent more on shirts then I did on food... and that's saying something for me. Their patience with me needing a tow vehicle for most of my passes was very much appreciated. Sorry the Scout wasn't sorted out. Not running well is my only real disappointment.

Personal highlights: (No particular order)

1. Being there (well.. duh)
      Cruising the Scout to Sam's - Now I can say I did it
      Getting towed up and towed back with Paul's hot rod truck (Way cool)
      Getting a major photo shoot for Traditional Rodder and Canadian Hot Rod Magazine
      Hanging out with Mike Belina and crew - Awesome Tacos, guac and salsa
      Meeting Kip, AJ, Mitch, Rusty and Joel... and others - always good to put faces to board names and meeting new folks
      Getting a home made trophy from the event
      Getting hacked on by Mark Krupa for 2 days - the guy just doesn't stop...
      Watching Johnny Rotten, Quain and Donovan Stott cruise their 9 second 4 speed gassers to Sam's then pull the wheels 2 feet on every shift on the track... Wow...

The low lights:

1. The heat...holy crap
      Scout running poorly and overheating
      Getting sideswiped by a tractor trailer on the way down
      The scary dragster crash - glad the driver is ok
      Breakage and downtime...but that's drag racing

As they said at the drivers meeting... prep for 2014 starts Monday
    I'll be there...

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Excellent Event once again. It was well worth the 1500 mile round trip. This has got to be one of the very best vintage drag races in the country. We will be back next year (maybe with a car to race, for sure to show).

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Hey man, likewise. We are glad you make the not so fun trip out. And we also like to put faces with names. See ya next year and don't forget the prefect.

18. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

hey rotten johnny,,,it was really kool meeting you,,,and hope to see you again next year

19. I can't believe it took me this many years to finally make it there. This show rules! Hands down my favorite! Now i got a goal....GET MY COUPE READY...

Hugh thanks to everyone involved in putting a excellent show on! Looking forward to next year

20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I agree with everyone else. Great times and great cars with great people.

My weekend didn't go so well. One of the worst I have had in quite a while but everyone in this game knows that bad stuff happens at times and not much you can do about it. As bad as I thought I had it, I just look to the guy who crashed the fuel dragster and realize it is like comparing a hang nail to losing an arm..:eek:

Flat tire on the trailer on the way there but the rest of them held up like champs all the way home (and no damage to the trailer from the tire failure...that is a win right there in my book)

Second pass on Saturday and I had a serious engine failure and am spectating the rest of the day. On the bright side, I feel I got to see much more of the show then I would have if I had been running all day. Was able to meet more folks, see more cars, and breathe a ton of nitro fumes (yeah baby!!! :D)

Austin and I spent the night Saturday night then hit the road early Sunday to get home and access the damage. We pulled the engine Sunday afternoon and it is about what I expected. Again... not good but could have been much worse. Luckily, I was able to get it shut down quickly when the #6 rod let go at the big end and it looks like I saved some parts. Don't have it completely torn down but pan removed and brief inspection looks promising that it can be repaired without being a total loss. I thank God that the rod didn't poke a hole in the pan at about 125 mph and I would have been in my own oil... :eek:

Mike Belina and I both broke on Saturday and we were pitted right beside each other. We made a pact Saturday night to come back next year with a vengence and show you guys how wheelstands are done!!! :D;)

Ohhhh... and I'll post some pics once I get them downloaded from my camera..:cool:

21. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    GAWD DAMN DID THIS RIDE COME OUT AWESOME!!!

22. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

MELTDOWN DRAGS was 100% awesome! Jus' wanted to let everyone who helped put it on know that their hard work paid off and i have not had that much fun at a event in a long time!!! I dont even know where to start or what to say about all the good things that went on,but....right down to the ladies at the t-shirt booth that were nice as heck to the Meltdown Crew in their white 60s track uniforms....class act 100%!!! To all the racers nomatter how fast they went....AWESOME job and way too many cool cars to mention!!! To the gasser associations....ONE HELL OF A SHOW...with nothing but awesome cars on the grounds!!! Even the car show was down right great with some kick ass cars(a guy trailered a bad ass burgundy 56 gasser from indiana that looked like a true 'ole school race car with weathered paint and put it in the show...i jus knew it was a racer when we passed him on the highway).Tin Butchers get a big thanks on the swap meet...and i found goodies!If there is one event to hit in 2014 for tradition drag racing and serious cool cars......this is it!!!:D

23. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    ONE BAD MOFO RIGHT HERE!!!

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thanks. Wouldn't have been there without the help I got.

25. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Once again wanted to thank all the guys and gals that made the Meltdown what it was again this year and that was AWESOME. We were a little over whelmed when we first got there on Sat of all the cars that showed up. Once everyone got settled in and checked in it was a blast. Couldn't believe that Johnny and Wally from the Great Lakes Gassers took my Mom and Dad down the strip. Dad remembered the AWB Dodges when they first roamed the strip at Byron in the 60's. He never imagined he'd ever get to ride in one. Ran a 18.23 with the roadster, not bad for a daily 4 cylinder cruiser. We will for sure have the Falcon done for next year. Oh, and yes Eric, I still remember I owe you a ride in it!!!

26. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

The Meltdown was more fun than I've ever had at any racing event! Well worth the long, LONG tow from Wichita. See you all next year.

27. TOM N.

TOM N.

The Great Lakes Gassers had a great time.
    Next year let's use a flag nan in the gasser shootout.

28. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

OK, what are the dates for next year? I busted my a** to get my Falcon done, but it wasn't meant to be, so I came as a spectator....but not next year!

29. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    My friends Terry & Lee ran a 9.94 at 133.9 Sunday morning.
    Unfortunately, I left my slant 6 dragster at home.
    Won't make that mistake next year. We will probably have a half dozen cars from Minnesota.
    This was the highlight event of the summer. Even though this north woods old man can't take the heat. A big 'thank you" to all those responsible for putting on such a great show.

30. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

If Tom Nowicki is available........I nomanate him
    If he is buzy, Rich Cristensen with a hoop skirt might cut it
    Vic, it was a pleasure meeting you
    Still grinnin today