Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this was the big leagues, it should have been conducted with the ethics to equal the size of the show. cronyism at this level should not happen.
    next we will hear there is doping and cheating in major league sports.:D

2. metalman

metalman

For years (most of my career) I was into the indoor car show thing, building and touring not only my cars but clients cars I built as well. Always felt politics were involved but never so much as the first time I got a car into the Grand National roadster show, a big deal to me at the time. Politics? They even came up to us a told us that we were bumped down because the car the big name (Barris) picked for his award hadn't placed in class (our class) but they would HAVE to give him the 1st. Even said "sorry, it's just show politics".
    I've had enough of the car show bs, I build drivers now.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have noticed that, sometimes, the fun and atmosphere of a show changes, as soon as the announcement is made to, "Everyone, please make your way to the stage for the awards presentation."

I entered my first, actual show with awards, earlier this year. The thing is, in order to get into the show, you had to be an entry. In hind sight, I guess I could have put a sign on my car saying, "Do not judge". My motivation for being there was to get a pic of my car next to a war bird.

The whole day was fun, even though most of the cars weren't my style. Low riders, muscle cars and new Vettes are cool, just not what I was expecting. Anyway, it was fun and I met some nice car guys. I had some really good suggestions given to me. Then, the judges started walking around. The whole attitude of the car guys changed. Everyone started profiling and flexing their muscles. The muscle car and low riders turned up their custom stereos. A guy I had been talking to, suddenly just walked away.:confused: The scramble to wipe off dust was amusing, as I looked at the bugs on my windshield and grill.:D

4. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

From what I understand, Gene and the guy with the Merc not only travelled to the show from California together, but also shared hotel rooms. There is a ton of bias going on here.

So who made the Bolonga Sanwiches ?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. 54rat210

54rat210

Sounds kinda fishy to me. Friends, traveling together, sharing a hotel room, showering together. Something is really fishy here.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All joking aside... and forgetting that we are only hearing one side of the story... If all of this is, in fact, true... Well, we got ourselves a real bit of corruption here that is so blatant, its almost fun to think about!

7. brandon

brandon

Merc almost looks like one of kramer's old ones

8. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I was awarded my very own trophy back at the hotel parking lot "The Liberace Award - for the best use of man glitter" also know as metal flake. It was built by one of my buddies' neice, we had a good laugh and it was on display for the rest of the show.

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are too absorbed with the money aspect, I'd guess the guy never saw any money at all; it was all a scam re: $10k. With regard to giving you money; why should we? Just because we don't care about money that was never given away reveals that we don't have avarice in our hearts, so yeah that does make us cool. :)

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I am in it for the chicks,.... and that ain't working out so well.

11. Movinman

Movinman

Haha! Too true!

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Me too. They promised me chicks. Well, where are they????!!!! "Build it, they will come." What a crock o shit! I was scammmmmmmmed! :eek:

13. banjorear

banjorear

Me too at first.

14. INXS

INXS

Just stopped to fill the tank on the 50 Chevy on my lunch. The old timer at the pump beside me complimented me on the truck, asking if it was a 52 and a few other questions. I ended up listening to him for a bit about a 48 f1 he had years ago. He had fun reliving some memories and was still smiling as he drove off. It's the interaction that cars create that's worth more than some award to me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

The next thing you know, you guys will be telling that Elvis died on the shitter.

Wait, what?

16. The guys eating a old bologna sandwich selling fuzzy dice? Maybe he needs the 5Gs fellas - blatant corruption is as American as it comes isn't it? -OP nice truck-

17. sic-nic

sic-nic

the guy who won the trophy and the money is the kinda guy that does'nt have a problem looking at the trophy or spending the cash or telling everyone all about both!

18. nice !!!

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I enjoy the shows but could careless about the trophys, I rather win the 50/50 cash drawing! One thing that is nice about the pre-64/ no billet shows are the "average Joe" cars that win. I have been going to a lot of shows since I could walk and the Nats/Good Guys/ etc. always seem to be the same deal, someone with a really large checkbook takes the prize. At the newer shows I have attended it seems that taste and hard work still gets rewarded.

20. That's fucked up...

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Regardless of the reason for seeking a prize and trophy, the contest should be fair. Both sides are needed here.

22. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I learned that car show judging can be a scam a long time ago.

In my youth I built a show contender. I did well at a few shows. At one there was a car that had me beat on points hands down. But, I won. Later a judge confided that they did not care for the owner. I never showed again.

As soon as it is a competition the fun starts going away.

23. Car shows are as much about politics as they are actual good cars.

Supposedly Winfield and his crew were looking for me late Saturday during the one time I took like 20 minutes to hit the john and walk up to look for a vendor someone told me about, they wanted to buy something. At least that's what the guy across from me said when I got back. Beats me, later on some guys in Winfield shirts stopped at the front of the booth but no one made any attempt to buy or even talk to me. Nobody called my phone, either, I left a book with business cards right out at the front of the spot in plain sight.

I wouldn't know Gene Winfield from anybody else on the grounds, really. If they changed their minds because I was gone, oh well, there's just one of me and I can't man my booth and pee at the same time. Well, I probably could, but I'd get escoreded out soon afterwards.

24. raymay

raymay

All six of the cars were nice and well deserved to be in this selection. I am sure everyone could pick the details they like or dislike on each car. Personally the Merc would not have been my choice.
    I first saw the Hudson at Detroit this spring and found it to be a real eye catcher of a build. It may not have as much custom work as some of the other 5, but that car screams class all day long. I was glad to see it again and if I had been a judge, it probably would have been my pick.

25. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I went to the first Right Coast show at Syracuse. Back then there were NO trophies or overnight "PREFERRED" parking. Stayed in a motel by Carrier Circle where the there was a street of motels all right next to each other. At night the motel parking lots were filled with rods and customs and it was a car show in itself going from lot to lot and checking out the cars and BSing with the owners. It was a great time, and went back again the following year and a few more after that. They started having trophies and seems like some folks kept the same primo parking spot for the weekend. More and more muscle cars showing up, less out of state cars and motel prices for the weekend going up (only to go back to normal rates when the show was over). The police were making more of a "presence". In general, the whole atmosphere as I saw it was changing. I haven't been back for 5 or 6 years now.
    Local shows, I pay my couple of bucks, walk around and look at what interests me, shoot the breeze with the guys and head out. I went to a local show put on by the Legion a month ago, parked my car and started walking around and a gent came running up and said "You forgot to register", so I followed him back to the registration booth and was told I had to register to be "judged". Told him I didn't want to be "judged" but I would gladly pay their entry fee, ( it was for a good cause), and went merrily on my way checking out the cars and chatting with folks. At the end of the day and the trophies were given out, the Best of Show, went to a beautiful 37 Ford that probably was best of show. The owner had just purchased it the week before and was quite proud of his "investment". ;-) Tom...

26. Original post was about possible collusion, quickly turned into a five page rant on whether car shows are cool. Anytime this type of thing comes to light, it bears a look and a response.

27. Plowboy

Plowboy

We were just talking over the weekend about a bone stock 53 Buick getting the Barris pic at Salina several years ago. Barris had been eyeballing the guy's not so stock wife/girlfriend all weekend, and her Dagmars were delightful.

I guess a pick is a pick unless there were some rules specified before hand. If someone were to ask me to pick a winner I am sure that I could be bought with a few beers.....

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So uh...I take it this means your not sending me any money?:(:(:p

29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

The odd thing about this thread is the OP did not mention that he would have had to pre-register to be eligible for consideration and send in a lengthy application and photo portfolio prior to the show, then Gene selects the top six from photos etc. (wink,wink). Then you are notified to bring your car for competition at the show. The worst part is you dont get to use your car for the weekend and you become a spectator at an out doors car show, so what is the point. Just drive it and enjoy it let Gene sell his "Rat Fink" antennae toppers in peace.

30. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

$10,000 prize is a big chunk of dough to be horsing around with.

I hope it's not true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.