Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi troubles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hallrods, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

For sure try one. You may be hearing a exhaust gasket leak. They sound exactly like lifter noise sometimes.

2. hallrods

hallrods

The noise sounds louder on the exhaust rocker but its not a exhaust gasket leak.

3. hallrods

hallrods

Still having problems, I tried setting the noisy ones over . I went one full turn from zero lash then up to operating temp the noise came back. I went 1/4 turn more until I reached two full turns from zero lash on just the noisy ones(2-4-8). Know I have a noise in number seven exhaust. I decided to pull the intake and pump oil threw the engine to see if I hade flow everywhere and there is. I pulled the heads and inspected the lifters they all seem fine. I have new melting lifters I would love to put it back together but I really didn't find anything wrong.What should I do?

4. George

George

Hope that's Melling Lifters...not melting!:p;):cool::)

5. hallrods

hallrods

Sorry my iPad sometimes thinks it needs to correct my spelling and I missed that one.

6. 73RR

73RR

Which lifter part number ?

7. hallrods

hallrods

JB-2011 bought them at auto zone.

8. George

George

What are those supposed to be in? I usually use ones for the early 361 & 413. #812 from most, but not all, suppliers.

9. hallrods

hallrods

I believe they are from a 1968 and up chrysler

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thread...

There's some good info RIGHT THERE!!!

I was told they were made in the USA also, but I'm suspicious. In fact, so suspicious that when I got mine I pulled every single one apart, drained, cleaned, and inspected, then refilled each one accordingly. All looked good, but I've never slept well knowing they are in my 331. Please enlighten us on "I know this for a fact" so I can forget they're in my engine. Not a jab, that's a legitimate request for some insight. Please.

11. hallrods

hallrods

I don't know if they are China made or not. The melling ones sound different when you push on them than the 4 I bought from hot heads to replace the noisy ones. I thought I would replace all of them at once because of this. I still don't know if this is the problem or not. I did pull one of the noisy lifters apart to see if it was dirty like hot heads thought and it was clean.

12. 73RR

73RR

The 2011 is a 68-up LA lifter, as common as dirt. The JB indicates Johnson Bros, some are labeled as HT, Hydraulic Tappet, and so on.
    The single biggest issue is that ALL 2011 are 5/32 radius on the puck and you must have the same 5/32 rad on the pushrod or they will grind themselves into an ugly mess.

Attached Files:

13. hallrods

hallrods

The push rods I have are.308 with my calipers that's like twice the size your talking about.

14. A 5/32 ( .156 ) radius would be a .312 push rod.

15. hallrods

hallrods

Sorry I read threw it in a hurry was thinking diameter for some reason. Do you guys think it could be the lifters 2011's and the placement of the oil ring aposed to the 812's oil ring placement. I would hate to put it back together and have the same problem. Tonight I plan to check the lifter boars with a micrometer.my uncle is a machinest he will bring over some tools for doing this. Any other Ideas?

16. hallrods

hallrods

Do the 2011's use the same pushrods as the 812's?

17. hallrods

hallrods

I also tries amsoil 10w30 with zink additive thought maybe the old oil was foaming. No luck.

18. 73RR

73RR

No, 812 are ¼" ball (.125 radius)

19. hallrods

hallrods

Thanks for all your help. I'm a little overwelmed by this. Not a normal small block chevy issue. I would feel better about putting it back together if I knew what wasn't right.

20. hallrods

hallrods

Put it all back together and have the same results. I'm about ready to put a brick on the gas pedal and let her go.

21. dodge59

dodge59

built a 440 years ago with a comp extreme cam 490-236 and edledbrock heads ... it rattled from day one.. idled ok but when at 1500 rpms it ticked like mad.. installed adj rockers and still made the noise ..
    was told it was the cam.. extreme comp cams have a steep / sharp lobe ramp drop off. that is where the ticking came from .

22. hallrods

hallrods

I checked the lifter bore before installing the new lifters and everyone checked out within tolerance so I installed the new lifters and adjusted the pushrods 1.5 turns after o lash and I have the same problem. The noise is mostly coming from the passenger side. All exhaust side maybe a few intake but its mostly exhaust . I checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and its 40 lbs at idle warm or cold. I thought maybe my electric gauge wasn't working but it is.

23. hallrods

hallrods

I installed a new high volume oil pump from hot heads I would have tried the washer under the spring to get more pressure but I was hoping this would work better than that. Well it didn't work I'm out of options I guess I will pull the motor and tear it down. The only thing I can think of now is that the cam bearing is off a little and not allowing good oil flow to the top of the engine. Any other suggestions ?

24. hallrods

hallrods

bump or should I say tick

25. George

George

If all else is eliminated from contention, I guess that's what you'll need to do. Or at least pull the heads & cam & drop a welding rod down the holes.

26. George

George

Never seen a flow comparison between the 331 & 392 pumps, but the HV LA pump only flows 3.5% more oil than a new 392 pump, not a meaningfull amout of difference as far as seeing/hearing something.

27. hallrods

hallrods

My stock pump never went over 50 lbs at 3000 rpms and it idled at 40 hot or cold so I thought to replace it. Didn't help anyway.

28. hemiphil

hemiphil
    from australia

Hi hallrods, the 2011 lifters are no good, you need ht-812, the oil groove in the 2011 lifter is in the wrong position, you need the early 361-383 lifter as was said in another post.

29. George

George

One companies 812s are for the SB Chevy.

30. hallrods

hallrods

I started looking at the things that I had done on the motor. I took the heads off and found seals on both the intake and the exhaust side. Hot Heads said that you don't put them on the exhaust side or the valves will stick. Could this be my problem?