Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am I on the wrong forum ?

Sounds like the aftermath of the judging at the Hershey AACA Fall meet !! :D

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Ha Ha! Me too!

3. cruzr

cruzr

Been Hot Rodding all my life(now 71) never cared about trophys or prizes . To me it's just a ego trip. Have fun , enjoy your car, drive your car, that's what it's all about

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. INXS

INXS

In my book you did win. You were recognized among the top like I said. If the top guy got the nod through sketchy car show politics he's the one who has to look at his trophy.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ this, times 2. That truck is awesome, that's the one I'd have been drooling over.

6. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

indeed!!!

7. Sounds like any other car show,personal preference!

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm, just a youngster (69) but what you posted IS gospel in my book.

Frank

9. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

67 here. And totally agree with both of you Geezers.:cool:

10. Babyearl

Babyearl

Well,, it is good to know that I was not the only one,,

11. sololobo

sololobo

Gene is one of my personal heros, so I am biased. I wasn't there and not doubting you. But to blast a legendary cat that is a benchmark of our industry on a public forum is a little rough. I think you were fortunate to be selected to the group and it should be your reward. Connections in the business surely have priviledges. Please try to move on and be happy with your awesome recognition. No judging here, just my opinion. Your hotrod is amazing. Best wishes for a quick healing process. ~sololobo~

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This, and prior posts regarding "I don't seek trophies...just go for fun..etc." COMPLETELY miss the point.

Either a judging & award process is run ethically or it's not! It's one thing to say that a Judge's taste is not the same as yours and you would have picked a different winner. That is just the result of varying tastes. It's quite another matter if the process is "fixed" going in.

I am 69 years old and have been reading about Gene Winfield since the mid-'50s and am well aware of his background and contributions to the customizing scene.

I don't know what if any, direct involvement he had in this matter, but the OP's account suggest that SOMEBODY had a cozy deal going and walked away with $10,000 as a result.

I fully recognize and accept that it is irresponsible to inaccurately malign a person's reputation without all the facts. That said, I also believe it is an unwise policy to 'look the other way' just because somebody is relatively famous and/or a personal hero.

None of us are perfect......but we can and should expect to be held accountable for our ethical breaches.

Ray

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Car shows for trophies and money? I thought we were past that fellas...

15. Let's face it Ryan - it is as traditional as Hot Rodding itself. There have been Hot Rod shows, with money involved, at least as far back as the 40's. It's part of the game, even if it's not part of everyone's game

16. I agree 100%... We're not questioning the OP's attitude towards losing, or why we attend car shows, nor Winfield poor choice in cars...

The winner did not just get a trophy and an ego boost, there was a $10K prize money. Which opens the questioning of fraud, much less his ethics.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

...And ten grand.

18. From what I understand, Gene and the guy with the Merc not only travelled to the show from California together, but also shared hotel rooms. There is a ton of bias going on here.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I thought this was a hobby. If you're in it for prizes and money, it ain't a hobby to you.

20. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Sponsored contests like this are advertising. Pure and simple. It's business and it's just a shame anybody thinks it's going to be "fair." As long as there is a big brand name on it, know that there are lots of pre-arrangements being made. Just the way it is. Be honored that your truck was so nice as to be included as bait.

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Reminded me of this old Merc lowrider

[​IMG]

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, damn sure isn't my game... and to be really honest, car shows in general aren't my thing. I'm more about driving and hanging out with pals.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If what went down has been described accurately, I would say "a little scetchy" is being generous.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the aftermath of many outdoor shows all around the country for the past 40 years.

I got past the "maybe I'll get an award" think a long time ago when I caught myself comparing my ride to other's rides in the same class in my first year of being a participant at events.

There is always someone with a car that glad hands with all of the folks who are judging for awards and quite often makes sure that they get one of the "spots" where the judges are sure to see the car.

This time around I'd say that being picked for the six finalists was the actual high and well deserved honor.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps they needed this:

"The contest is open to everyone with the exception of employees of the show organizing body, friends of the judging staff, and their families, agencies and representatives."

It does seem something was wrong with what happened. But considering how great some peoples egos are, it's not surprising. I'm also not sure what could be done about it in the future. If the OP hadn't been able to overhear the conversation, no one would have been the wiser.

Greed and egos. A recipe for discontent.

26. True - but there is no denying that is a large part of the scene overall. Including for some on here that will never admit it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  27. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, he will always know his win was a joke and every time he sees it he will be reminded of it. Never worth it IMHO, that is why I'm not into trophies and could not tell you where any of mine are that I did win.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its great you guys are all so "cool" and "past all that ego-driven car show crap" and so on, But you seem to be forgetting the $10,000. Since you cool hot rodders can afford to overlook that, and I am pretty broke, and need money to build my T, How about some of you high rollers that can afford to just forget about $10,000 make some donations? I PROMISE I wont enter it in any car shows when its done.;):rolleyes::p

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... I guess I am that cool. Awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

It must have been the Gull Wing doors that sealed the deal. Oh No! I hope they are not making a come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.