Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winfield select six. WHAT A SCAM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

It was an honer (at first) to be part of the Gene Winfield "select six" at the Syracuse nats this year. the quick details go like this. you get a jacket, a trophy, and a thousand bucks to be in the six. the winner who is announced saturday at the banquet dinner receives ten grand from Maguiers. unfortunately 5 of us had no chance at all to win. now remember, Gene is the only person judging the cars. the cars on display were my 37 chevy pickup, a 19?? lincoln, a 63 riviera, a killer hudson, a 58 el camino and a chopped merc. Also on display with us (but not in contention) was Genes "pacifica" econoline pickup. now im not slingin mud here but the merc in my and just about anyone else's opinion really had no shot at winning. sooooo who won the ten grand you ask? the guy with the merc. who also happens to be the same guy who the "pacifica is registered to, and keeps it at his place for Gene. how coincidental!!! so after its all over, im back in the building where the cars are, i just happen to be standing next to the merc guy, and here come Gene. the merc guy say's Gene you ready to go? Gene says yeah lets get outta here. and they walked out of the building and in to the sunset. I personally still had a blast. won a top ten for the show and a top 100 in the country from street rodder mag. met bunch of great people, and the guys running the event could not have been any cooler. but i do feel let down to know that one of the biggest names in the business is just another guy pullin a scam. boy Gene, that's pretty sad!

2. elba

elba

I know the feeling. About 25 yrs ago a local politician BORROWED a car to enter in a local show.. The judges knew that he did this. Guess who won the first place trophy.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

and the merc owner/winners name is????

Any pic's of the 6 cars, maybe us Hambers could adjudicate...

4. INXS

INXS

You were one of six that were hand picked by Gene, a top ten for the show and a top 100 magazines nomination. Consider yourself among some talented builders.
    The sour grapes look bad on you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. cosmic12

cosmic12

I don't remember a Merc sitting there but this one was a Designer Dozen that I thought should have been in there with you guys. Loved your truck by the way.
    Thought it was kinda weird he had that Ecnoline in there in the 1st place and in the prime spot also.

Attached Files:

6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Look at the past 2 winners of this award, and be the JUDGE, this award is a JOKE, I dont think Winfield has a vote it must be done for him or his taste has reverted to his ass.:confused:

7. cosmic12

cosmic12

I don't have the Merc but this is what I got. The Hudson was amazeing.

Attached Files:

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I disagree. If the poster's account is accurate, and he doesn't seem to be hiding anything, then I believe he is correct to point out a "manipulation" that doesn't meet the "Smell Test"

The OP DID NOT say he thought he should have won....only that the 'winner' appeared to be in collusion with the Judge.

If the winner is that closely associated with the Judge he should be disqualified from the competition in the first place. Have to wonder of the prize sponsors are aware of this tidy little arrangement?

Ray

9. cosmic12

cosmic12

Thought this was kinda odd also. The Lincoln that was in there was also outside as a kit car, I had to go round and round with a buddie about it. Was a mold pulled from the show car or was it a kit?

Attached Files:

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

Sounds like about every show anymore, I have been to and seen some of the same things going on, I don't let it get to me. I drive my hot rod to the show, do not enter it walk around and see friends check out the cars and swap and leave.

11. i agree, the merc should have been ineligible.

12. I can't comment about the scam portion (well I could, but know nothing about it!), but damn your truck is beautiful! I really like the Riviera too.

13. No one has walked on water for over 2000 years .... :cool:

On the whole, Gene has done more good than harm for the Rod Community.

We all need to be humbled now and again .....

Perhaps he will see or hear about this thread and reconsider
    his ability to be an impartial judge in the future.

Thanks for posting.

Jim

14. That could pretty much describe any major awards at any show in the country.....
    the problem with having one winner is it creates a lot more losers.......

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  15. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

Im not being sour. Im not saying I should have won. Im just sayin it seems a little sketchy.

16. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I'm not sure what the criteria was to win, the Merc did nothing for me, your truck, the Riv and the Hudson were really nice. I never really understand how/why some cars are picked and others aren't. That being said, being one of the six is an acomplishment in itself.

17. i usually dont comment on these kind of posts, but this is what i have watched a certain group out of california do for years. you can follow there mag. and see usually the same winners at all events, and i learned a few actually works for this group. i have learned to go and enjoy the people that are there like me, and of course the cars. i was at at hooters show in kennesaw, ga. sat. and took 2nd in the top 20 in a field of new mustangs and camaros with lambo doors. never expected or assume d that would happen. just go and enjoy the day and overlook this kind of crap.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the criteria? Is there something published?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I must be getting real old, read Winfield and thought it was about Ed Winfield and his carburetors. Bob

20. baremetal48

baremetal48

I have to agree with chot55bc. I was one of the select six last yr and thought the whole thing was a joke! For a few different reasons! Personally i don't think gene has anything to do with picking the cars, i think he's just there to draw a crowd and hustle fuzzy dice and autographed pics!

21. I know I am old, and when I think of Ed Winfield, I think of cams. He was a versatile genius.

22. estes

estes

Hey just wanted to let you know that my brother and I thought your truck was killer! I barely looked at that Merc, and I certainly didn't put it together that the fiberglass
    monstrosity out front was the same body as it.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

It's the way of the world. The sooner you come to terms with it, the sooner you'll have peace of mind. I've learned over the years to expect the unexpected, because anything can happen ESPECIALLY when it comes to awards given at car shows.

24. papajohn

papajohn

Is this the Merc that won?
    1374499318051.jpg

I personally loved your truck, the 58 ElCamino and the blue/white Hudson(?) And would have had a tough choice between the three.
    1374499447751.jpg 1374499474931.jpg 1374499493351.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Me too.

26. Ray I understood the account of the judging just the way that you did.

Good ethics in this situation would dictate that Mr Winfield himself would recuse himself from the judging because of his relationship with one of the contestants.

Unfortunately a lot of car shows are not run on good ethics but rather on politics. It appears that there was a little politican goin' on. If Mr Winfield were judging why would his Econoline even have been entered?

Maybe this is not even a good report, there may have been a lot of behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

27. 63 Rivenge

63 Rivenge

Hats off to your truck......nice job.......Liked the Riv ( only because I own one),and thought I would see more Rivs at the show........BUT......Gene was pushing that Pacifica Poster now that I think of it for 10 bucks and eating a bolony sandwhich out of a baggie when I talked to him, and I thought wow at 83 years old he should pick up a fishing rod and catch something good to eat.........pushing fuzzy dice, and valve stem covers.........stop

28. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

The Gherkin was stunning man. Fuck the trophy whores and BS, your a winner.

29. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

the pacifica was not part of the six. it was just there as a display. and no behind the scenes bs. it was his pick only.

30. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm a huge Gene Winfield fan. That said, .....a look back at the prior choices for this "award" leaves an empty spot in my heart. I'm sure all the cars were nicely done, and worthy of merit. Personally, I'd rather have a select six pick and NOT win. The past winners do nothing for me. Stu JMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.