Register now to get rid of these ads!

mercs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nh-lead-man, Jul 20, 2013.

1. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

can anyone tell me if there was more than one model of 4dr mercs in 1950 some one said that there was a merc special and that car had chrome mldgs around all the windows and considered rare foe a 4dr car!!

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Montereys were the deluxe models with extra chrome and badges over the three years..There is the Monarch (candian merc) also, but just sounds like a Monterey.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rare as in the "oh crap if I modify it It will loose value" falicy? or rare in that there aren't just not many floating around any more? I like rare steaks but don't get too excited over of "rare" models of fairly common cars.

As Siddnmatt said above the Monterey was the model with all the bells and whistles and extra doo daahs.

4. Matt doesn't know what he's talking about! Probably doesn't even have a Mercury....

5. mikes51

mikes51

Weren't all the Monterreys 2 doors. Pretty hard to recall any "deluxe" model of any make being a 4 door except for later hardtops.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I think they were all coupes. Not sure if any were more doors. I know they had some snazzy looking 2 tones. Maybe an upgrade or something....

7. No special more door's to my recall only on coupes. I have seen a few more doors with chrome inner window garnish but never thought it could of been a factory option.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

8. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

some one sell me a set of stock tail lights,,!!

9. mikes51

mikes51

??--------------

10. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There is an illustration of a 4-door town sedan in the 1949 description (front matter) section of the Lincoln-Mercury Overhaul Manual. They manufactured some of these in the Lincoln line up but not in the Mercury line. They are very rare but they didn't extend into the 1950 model year likely due to poor sales. The body looks too much like something from 1948.

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you lost me with your question marks and the pic. QUOTE=mikes51;9078263]??--------------[/QUOTE]

12. There was a 4dr in my neighborhood,back in the 60's that was brick red with a black hood,top and trunk. Pretty sure it was all original. He was an old guy who was friends with my dad.

13. all the montereys where two doors. some had vinyl tops and some had canvas tops. all the 4 doors where called "sport sedans". but, you could have some sort of canadian model maybe. don't let it keep you from cutting it up.

mine is an m-72a just plain "coupe" its one of the "rarest". plain, no trim around the windows, the rear quarter windows don't even pivot open. the only model they made less of was the two door wagon. doesn't make it worth any more

14. Bounder

Bounder

Well here's a question, my 50 Merc was bought new in Winnapeg would that mean it was made in Canada? It has an H in the vin where the assembly point is.
    Sorry about the question seemed like a good place to ask.

15. mikes51

mikes51

[/QUOTE]

Don't really mean anything, I just needed to type some characters according to the computer so i just hit any key.

maybe a question is this a factory two tone merc paint job. looks like bad bob answered that question.

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Well that makes more sense now Mike. It is an original two tone scheme..... Alright InvisibleKid..I know your looking!! Post up a pic of that Merc!!!! My 51 was an original two tone with a black top and the trim piece above the front window but wasnt a monterey...

I had a 51 Monterey by me forsale a few years back that was really clean as far as being complete and really straight, but rusted to all hell everywhere..It was like it was hosed down with salt water weekly! The guy was wrapped up in it for $4500 after shipping to get it out here and and stuff and wouldnt budge on the price...they are cool though..

17. Just a teaser......True factory two tone in original color.....
    Thanks a bunch Matt!:D

Attached Files:

18. WWinIL

WWinIL

I looked in my copy of "The Cars of Lincoln Mercury" book and all 4 door sedans of 49-51 Mercs are a type 74. But... In the 1949 section a mention is made of a type 73-4 dr sedan 6 window fastback (was also planned to be available as a baby Lincoln version,too), which maybe the rare Merc in the OP's question. This was a prototype model which never went into production...

I can post a pic of it from the book. Show of hands? anyone?

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Seems as though the beltline trim served not only as a style line, but also a two-tone paint divider;

Oh, I love Mercs...

Attached Files:

20. WWinIL

WWinIL

US Mercs were made in:

Dearborn as in "50DA"
    Metuchen,NJ as in "50ME"
    St. Louis as is "50SL"
    Los Angeles as in "50LA"

Monarchs have a unique grill (completely diff from a US made Mercury) and badging. So, someone would have had gone to the trouble of removing all those parts/pieces and replacing them.

21. WWinIL

WWinIL

also,check out the two-tone baby lincoln-bottom right of page, and read text. Maybe someone has a early ad in their collection somewhere which shows any other angle of a pic of the fastback prototype?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

22. mikes51

mikes51

Nice! Talk about a sleeper.

23. I though that they Made Montereys in a 4 door.??
    what does the Last letter on the Vin mean..??
    mine is a M which I though was for Monterey
    I know that it was Built in NJ.

just my 3.5 cents

24. I guess mine is Not a Monterey but it came with a Lot of Options
    like Trunk Light & glove Box Light & Stainless all around the Windows
    with the extended rain Gutter the stick out over the Front door
    & Chrome inside Center Devider on the Windshield
    & rear speaker & some other Things

Just my 3.5 cents

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

From the Mercs I have encountered, most of them are like yours with the goodies described. Not sure what you mean by the extended gutter though. Seems like the plain Janes are the odd balls. I have a 51 coupe that had the solid 1/4 windows and thought it was odd, I had never seen or heard of it before, just figured it was a base model. You figure Mercury wasn't a cheap model of Ford, so they couldn't get rid of to much bling!!

26. did they all come with Undercoating.?
    I will try & get a Picture of what I mean its Like a Extra Piece of Stainless
    that Sticks out obove the Wing Window only in the Front
    mabey its a Common thing since there are Not a lot of Merc around here
    to compare it to

just my 3.5 cents

27. WWinIL

WWinIL

Monterey is a two door sedan only Body type M 72C six passenger coupe (custom) custom is highest trim level. Monterey's are only 1950 and '51 for this generation. Monterey first introduced June 20, 1950 (Mid year?)

The last letter in the VIN - "M" is car line code

"M" = Mercury

28. in the Picture of the Lincoln the Pic on the Left were the Girl
    is Standing
    there is a Piece of Stainless sticking out over the Wing window
    thats the Same I have
    when I go to Car shows I see merc but they Don't have that peice sticking out
    mabey its Common
    just saying

29. mikes51

mikes51

I had that piece, it's sort of triangular shaped with a lip.about 1/8". You have to remove your windwing assembly to take it off. I removed mine when I took my door apart to make the car look cleaner, less parts.

Here is my guess. it is a rain gutter, when your wing window is a little open, it's a roof. I think in the old days you could buy cars "less radio and heater". If so, then you had to open your wing window a little in the rain or your windshield would fog up (no defroster).

30. Bounder

Bounder

Well it looks like any other 50 I've seen. The vin is 74H50XXXXX so looks like 74 model, H assembly point, 50 year. I don't know any more. But thanks anyhow.