Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help Identifying a Frame:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrRoach Sir, Jul 21, 2013.

1. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

I acquired a project with a 10 bolt chevy rear, dropped axel I-beam front end, a RATTY pieced together T-bucket body and a frame that someone added a back half on. The guy told me it was a '32 front section with a homemade back half. The title was for a dune buggy with numbers matching nothing on the car anywhere. With the body off and checking the frame I found numbers stamped on the left rail under the front of the cowl.
    They read (quotes mine) "*-52xxxx6*" Instead of a letter prefix it looks to be a "dash". The dash is somewhat indistinct but there is a definite space between the star and the first number. Like to sort this out before I goto the DMV...any ideas?

2. 117harv

117harv

Sounds like a model A...pics?

3. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Dunno how to post pics here yet? Also the numbers seem to be too high for a model A.

4. Fenders

Fenders

Yes too high for a Model A.

5. F&J

F&J

Go to the bottom of this page and it says quick reply or go advanced.

Click go adv

then on that new page, click Manage Attachments.

I bet you can figure it out from there.

6. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Here's the vin. If I look at T numbers it puts it around 1922?

Attached Files:

7. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

I'm thinking may or '22. Only thing that throws me is the "Dash" in front of the numbers.

8. Supposedly Model T has no numbers stamped on the frame, just the motor block.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Model Ts did not have frame numbers untill 26-7 and then not all had them.

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

might be easier to identify if you post a couple pics of the whole frame?

11. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Only thing orig is the front 1/3. They off the car now for some frame tweaking but i'll post the sections. hamb won't let me post pics at this moment but I'll get them on here.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

999 out of 1,000 HAMB members ID frames from photos not numbers. Bob

13. are the front end of each frame rail rounded off[model A] or cut "square" off?[others]

14. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Appears to be tapered towards the front. With is 35" at the cut and 27" where it curves down. appears to be rounded frame ends. Pics should now be up. I have already posted a partial vin.

ok I hadda shring the hell outta the pics but they are there.

Attached Files:

15. kracker36

kracker36

Looks like a 32 maybe.

16. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Dunno, is this what ya called squared off? More like angle cut? An they don't appear cut either. If needed i'll get some close up frame end today.

17. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

@Kracker...the frame numbers don't run that high for an "A". Truck maybe?

18. alchemy

alchemy

Itsa 33-34 big truck. The kind that usually has a straight rail from the cowl to the rear.

19. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Any idea where I can find a vin sequence for it?

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From what I can see, I think Alchemy has it. span between mount holes would help confirm '32-4ness.
    Serial sounds right for a Model B, so for a big truck full number would have been
    *BB-5,xxx,xxx*
    The serial would nail the original year...I think nearly all '33-4 B's were in the 5,200,000 range. Model B serials started at 5,000,000, to put them solidly beyond the A series.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

22. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

No letter pefix

<table><tbody><tr><td style="background-color: #ffff9c;">B, BB</td> <td>5234548</td> <td>-5241341</td> <td>August 1933</td></tr></tbody></table>
    could be 33-4 roadster, coupe or truck.

Bottom third of page:

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

<table height="24" width="1"><tbody><tr><td style="background-color: #ffff9c;">B, BB</td> <td>5234548</td> <td>5241341</td> <td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

23. alchemy

alchemy

Don't think that's a passenger car frame.

24. Doesn't the dipped spreader bar mean big truck?

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's a big truck, BB, not a car.
    Same engine, the power unit as it left the factory would have had the BB # on the bellhousing.
    This was stamped onto the frame at assembly line, it is only mildly unusual for the prefix to be missing from frame.
    The prefix went onto the engine itself because as a truck it would have had the 4 speed trans attached...engines of a given type all got #'s from the same series, the prefix marked them for the right application on the line.

26. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

Seems to show August '33. Probly makes it a '34. Unless they have a record of that vin I'll re-assemble it by next year and try to convince the dmv up here in Nowhere, az that itsa '34 roadster. Sell my steel t-body an find a roaster bod.

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Serial would have been the same if that engine had been put into a roadster except for the "BB" vs "B" prefix...and you don't even have a prefix, so just report the number as B -xxxxxxx
    And if you met up with a devious person with Ford stamp set...you did say there was some space after the star...

28. I believe that is a big truck rails also.....that would make it amost a1/4" thick as opposed to about 1/8" on a car frame in '32- '34

29. MrRoach Sir

MrRoach Sir
    from Mexizona

It measures 1/8 thick. nevertheless lacking actual model designations I'll try to convince them itsa car. Unless of course the vin jumps up with some sort of record.

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is absolutely for sure a big truck frame. The serial should not pop up since the vehicle no longer exists and you have the numbered part...but remember it should only pop up as BB####...if a single B were to accidentally appear in the space you mentioned, or if you should happen to screw up and leave one of the B's off of your application form...
    B### never even existed, so could not pop up! You would accidentally find yourself owning an entirely fictitious car with a serial number that is all yours.