Register now to get rid of these ads!

History where are these cars now...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dermott, Jul 21, 2013.

1. found this pic, who,s cars and where did they go. never seen this pic before . thanks.

Attached Files:

2. This has come up in the past and the consensus was the are east coast hot rods since the Ed Sullivan show was filmed in New York. HRP

3. Deuces

Deuces

I watched that video last month on PBS.....
    They sang "I get around"...
    Wish it was in color..:rolleyes:

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

5. I remember sitting in the floor in front of the TV and watching the Beach Boys on the Ed Sullivan show that Sunday night in 1964.

Got remember that show was telecast in Black & White,,color broadcasting really didn't get started until 1965. HRP

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It makes total sense 'cause they certainly LOOK like east coast cars.

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

It's a little known fact that Carl helped popularize the term "high waters" that night.

Can't confirm my sources, though.

8. metal man

metal man

Super cool cars....I love the Y-block in the foreground car. What the hell is going on with Mike Love at :50 ?:eek:

9. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.... Dancin' the jig???....:D

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I hate that surf shit.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. Come on Fred,tell us how you really feel!:D

Living a long way from the ocean in the upstate of South Carolina,surfing was something foreign to me,,but I really liked the Beach Boys,,the sang about two of my favorite things car and girls! HRP

12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Rock and roll has been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guess I should have used Milners whole quote. I have a few Beach Boys albums. One still in the plastic wrap.

14. OldColt

OldColt

Yep, I saw it too. My whole family gathered around the TV every Sunday night for The Ed Sullivan show.

I guess the music died in 1959 for some after the infamous plane crash with Holly, Valens, and the Big Bopper. For me Rock n' Roll lived on up to around 1985 or so when Huey Lewis was still really rockin'.

Whether you like them, or not (I happen too), The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean made many positive rodding contributions to the youth car culture.

Little Duece Coupes, Woodys, 409's, Drag City, Little Ole' Lady from Pasadena's Super Stock Dodge etc... got introduced to a generation that otherwise may have never become interested.

Now, I gotta go dig out all those old vinyl records in the closet, and listen to them again. :D

15. OldColt

OldColt

Yep, you're right with the Milner quote. Don McClean sang "the day the music died" referring to the '59 Plane crash in the song American Pie.

--- Steve ---

16. I was more into the Flintstones at that time in my life ! :D

Clay Belt likes this.
  17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

here in north carolina we always associated the weat coast surf music with hotrods and the socal way of life.if you havent already heard brian wilson new cd "Thats Why God Made the Radio" check it out . good rock and roll..................

18. OldColt

OldColt

It's hard to believe those young boys are old guys in their 70's now.I bought the "Thats Why God Mad the Radio" CD too. In my opinion, they are as good as ever. Great CD. Hear the group has broken up once again. I guess they are better at making music than getting along with each other. --- Steve ---

19. Deuces

Deuces

Seen them twice in concert.. Once was with Chicago at Pine Knob... They were both great shows... I believe they'll be in town again next week... :)

20. Deuces

Deuces

It's not all that bad...:rolleyes:

21. metal man

metal man

But does anyone know what happened to the hot rods?:)

22. johnbrighton

johnbrighton

The light colored 32 chevy with the harley fenders ,known as the MAILMAN SPECIAL resides in brooklyn new york not far from the ed sullivan theater and is still in the family .The car was built by Joe Sbrigato in the 1950s and looks exactly the same today!The other two hotrods were drag racing buddys of Joes the whereabouts of these two other rods today are unknown.

23. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Know car very well Knew Joe a great guy Tommy Shillo and I used to drop by house. Tom had roadster with 6 2barrels on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ any recent pix? As famous as some "album art" cars got, you'd think that the Mailman Special would be far better known. I don't recall seeing special magazine coverage on it at all. Was there? Gary

25. 48stude

48stude

kidcampbell71 likes this.