Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another "What the Hell IS This..." Thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Jul 21, 2013.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hi friends. Yeah, I'm still alive. Was going through some stuff out in the workshop this morning and came across something I picked up at a swap meet in September of 2012. I thought it was interesting, and hey... it was shiny. In a nutshell, I traded some crap I had no idea about for some different crap I had no idea about, intending to research it and never got around to it. (The new job is pretty hectic.)

I spent a few hours searching this morning and could only come up with a few basic assumptions; 1) it appears to mount to a pair of SU HS8 carburetors based on hole patterns, 2) it's probably from a British-made vehicle since some of the dash parts I got with it, supposedly from the same car, are wood and have Smith's components (was TOLD it was early Jaguar stuff), and 3) the casting number doesn't come back as squat. Oh yeah... and 4) it's shiny.

So there ya go! If anyone can tell me what the hell it is before I stick it in some nondescript box out in the workshop, where it will probably sit and collect dust for another 10 years, I'd appreciate it. I don't deny that I have a ton of practically worthless stuff laying around out in the workshop, but at least I know what most of it is. This would be the exception. Thanks all! Hope you're all doing well and the projects are coming along for ya!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not trying to be funny, but I swear that looks like a vacuum attachment.

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

That would be one BAAAAD motherf$^%in' vacuum..! Lol, good answer though!

4. bgaro

bgaro

air cleaner/intake kinda thing?

5. I'm with Fred,,I thought vacuum cleaner also.:D HRP

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Looks like a carb to supercharger manifold of some kind. With out sizes its hard to tell but those mounts look like you would bolt on two single carters or rochesters and then connect it to centrifugal blower of some sort.

7. Ole don

Ole don

It goes from the two carbs to a single air cleaner.

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Here's a pic of a pair of SU HS8 2 inch twin carbs I found. Note the holes, etc. Think I'm on the right track?

Attached Files:

9. so that piece goes on the engine side of the carbs, or, the air inlet side of them? Make some adaptors for 97's and put it on the intake side of a Paxton set up as a draw through.

10. sheesh

sheesh
    from canaduh

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks like Electrolux parts.

12. Jaguar part :eek:

13. sheesh---you win!

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Dang! Not the SAME, but damn close! At least I know it's more than likely a Jaguar part! Mine looks to be a little older IMHO. Notice the large "C 5147" cast into mine, whereas the Saloon part has the part number cast smaller/finer on the body itself. Still, great find! Thanks for the help!

15. I'm thinking MG TD

16. Went and looked ,I was wrong

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Talked to a guy, supposedly the "Jag guru", who said the C definitely denotes that it is a Jag part. HOWEVER, due to the rest of the number being so short (all his were at least 5 to six digits long after the C), he feels that this is a pretty early Jag air intake. So, we know it's a Jag part, we know what it's for and where it bolts up, but still no idea what year. Thanks for all the help so far! Gotta love the HAMB!

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

19. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Sho' enough, that's what it is... but what YEAR? Definitely a Jag part though, and used as shown above. That's part of the mystery solved.