Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back yard build off questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jul 21, 2013.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I went to the syracuse nationals show Friday and Saturday. In the old school round up building there was a car building competition called backyard build off . I wanted to get info about being a competitor next year but I couldn't here my self think because the bands were so damn loud. After 4 trips I gave up trying to hear a thing in there. Can anybody tell me what the rules and qualifications are ? What you win and what you are aloud to start with?

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

loud music and wrenching go hand in hand

3. Not here. I like a quiet shop. Never understood why there is music even at cruise nights. I go to visit peacefully with old friends. If I wanted music I would have brought my fiddle. Also never understood why people bring dogs. I dont take my car to a dog show and I don'wanna see dogs at a car show. I dont care what its pedigree is or if its mother belonged to the King of Greece's daughter. If the dog is a purebread but the owner a ............... it doesnt make help at all.
    A build off would be fun. I figure though you would need about 2weeks and a well oiled team to do one. We have been thinking of building a car for an old pal that way. He is now 72 and still interested so it might be fun.
    Don

4. olds vroom

olds vroom

Loud music would be one thing but that was so unbelievably loud that I could hear it over the other band on the other stage 500 yards away .

5. oj

oj

I figured when a band was overly loud that was the equivalent of putting chrome stuff on a motor.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, one of my musician buddies says you can play good or play loud. I'd get along good with Dolmetsch as when I go to car shows or any function that isn't a concert or live performance at an establishment I want to be able to hear my frends talk without shouting back and forth. It's bad when you go to on of your favorite events and choose to park way to hell and gone out back so you can actually visit with folks that come by and hear what they say. Maybe being an old fart does that to me.

I've never seen a build off like that Olds Vroom, it sounds like fun but I move too damned slow these days to accomplish that much in that short of time. And it's time to run up to the hardware store 9 miles away and pick up a bottle of gas for my mig when they open.

7. I bring my dog because I like my dog more than most people. I don't love screaming loud music at shows though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

9. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

So, how do you think the dog likes it, with ears that are more sensitive than yours???? What a numbskull!! Leave the dog at home.

10. Don't be a dick

11. c'mon ladies dont get your hearing aids in a wad!

12. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I just got back from the show, I asked one of the builders the same question and he took my info and said they will get back to me on it. They are going to have new guys next year and a little more time to get it done since the guys that built the cars this year were killing themselves just to get done in time. I agree the music there was far too loud and before anyone says I must be to old I'm only 34 so I don't think so, my friggin ears were ringing when I left that area.

13. Sorry, just reminded why I prefer the company of my mutt.

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

In the world of checkbook rodders .. a buildoff is a great idea

15. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Best thing you can do is to stand up and be a man, admit that it ain't right to bring an animal into a loud music scene and apologize to me for suggesting that I'm a dick for calling you on it.

16. Fenders

Fenders

I don't get this, isn't the music loud for us old deaf guys?

17. Nope you're still a dick. My dog was beaten and left for dead, and the only place on this planet that she wants to be is by my side. She has been abused for the first year and a half of her life, and if the worse thing I ever did to her was take her to a loud car show I think I'm doing pretty good for a "numbskull".

I will apologize for shitting on the op's thread though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  18. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

My dog is now old and deaf. He could always move away from the loud music...I figure that was his choice. I like to jam music loud when I work. It only seems to be a distraction, when I have to actually think about what Im doing. Which most of the the time is rare.

Rather, I think buildoff's are pretty stupid myself. It only devalues work. Customer see's a group build a project in "only a week!" then wonders why the single man operation, who pays more attention to detail takes longer to get their vehicle done. "But why is it taking so long, those guys just built that in a week". Retarded.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I had a dog that went everywhere with me. If I knew dogs weren't allowed, I simply didn't go.

Got kicked out of Goodguys Pleasanton with her. The guy at the gate didn't say a word, took my money, and let me drive on in. I was approached later by a show employee who informed me dogs weren't allowed. I left and never looked back.

I think it's cool they're allowed at such an event. To a lot of us they're our kids.

20. olds vroom

olds vroom

Ok this thread wasn't about dogs or no dogs at a show . I just wanted some information about how to be a contestant in the build off. Thanks hydroshawn for your info.

21. olds vroom

olds vroom

22. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

from what I read on a sign they had posted:
    1. $5000 budget
    2. be home built
    3. must run and pass NYS safety inspection
    4 must be steel, no kit cars
    5. there was a timeframe, 6 or 8 weeks I think, I can't remember

I think that was it.

23. Like I said man, I apologize for messin up your thread

24. olds vroom

olds vroom

Does any body know who won and what they won?

25. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

the roadster won and we dont bring my dog we bring lizards to the shows

Attached Files:

26. olds vroom

olds vroom

I did fill out a sheet with my email and phone number for them but didn't think to ask what they won , is it just bragging rights? I havent got any calls or emails yet but I would like to know before I build a car i could use for next year.

27. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

No Dogs
    No Strollers
    No open Headers
    No burnouts

28. RatPin

RatPin

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

insurance purposes
    dogs are just there to trip over

30. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thanks I'm glad this about dogs here's mine!!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374980534.362276.jpg