Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder coating price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mndodge, Jul 19, 2013.

1. mndodge

mndodge

Just got back from talking with a guy I know that does powder coating and I asked how much per rim......he said blasted and then a phosphate sealer and then coated and baked, $75.00 per wheel.
    Is that a pretty decent price?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1980681&d=1373862961
    Will the powder or the finish get into the groove of the rim or is there a chance for slight bubbling??

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Not too bad for what he's doing. Stu

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what they quoted me in Brainerd a few months ago. I thought it was too much so I did 'em myself. (Now I am wondering if it was worth it.) There was a place in Shakopee that did 'em for $25, but that was 5 years ago.

4. mndodge

mndodge

When your cheap like me it always sounds more expensive then ya thought...haaaaa!
    Maybe I'll check another to to be sure.

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I had a set of chevy wheels in black for $35.00 each.My Kelsey hayes in red were $50.00 each.

6. Sounds like he's painting, not powdercoating. Not bad for paint, rather high IMO for powder.

7. mndodge

mndodge

That's why I wanted to check and see what you guys have recently paid, with him blasting them and sealing the bare wheel and then powder coating, is the powder just the way to go compared to painting?

8. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Powder coating will outlast paint, and if he is accurate with his blasting, it will adhere in the grooves very well. My guy up here is 75-100 per wheel, or 50/ wheel if I blast them myself. It's like anything else, you usually get what you paid for.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I've seen as cheap as $40. But that's a friend price. I'm prepared to do $60 a rim. Sometimes spokes are 5-10 more

10. mndodge

mndodge

I think it's interesting how the cost is kind of all over the board, just talked to another guy in town and he looked at the wheel and said $60 a wheel to do all five of them.
    The one thing both guys did mention was the groove that was in wheel/rim, said that will be the only spot that they can't get powder to get into and will be noticeable if you look close. The one guy recommended when all done to put a small amount of silicone in the seam so rust can't start.....any thoughts on that?

11. RatPin

RatPin

Depends on color and shop volume. A big shop doing black should only run about $200 tops.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

I paid 75 per wheel for 10" x 16" wheels

13. Powder is like plating, it wants to go to the first surface it sees so it can be hard to get it into nooks/crannies/crevices. A easy cure for that is to pre-heat the part to about 200 degrees, then the powder will stick anywhere just like paint.

If you have a way to get a part blasted clean, a powder gun, compressor and a old oven off CL will let you DIY for not much more than the cost of the gun and compressor. You don't need a big compressor either....

Most of the cost is the labor to clean the part. If your wheels are rusty with pitting, that's where the money is.

14. mndodge

mndodge

Crazy Steve...That is good info, I am not all that familar with the process, but as you mentioned about about the investment up front and really just need the gun and a cheap oven and could use on many projects!
    When you mentioned about heating the wheel so it adheres in all places, its funny he didnt mention that, hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

15. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

75 per wheel is a good price. I just picked up 4 wheels today for 287.04 from the powdercoater. Basically, the same price. You get what you pay for. These were a custom color. Added a whole 25.00 and two days.

I am happy as usual. We do thousands with this guy every year. I am happy at 287.04 I'm actually happy at whatever he charges because I never have any issues with the quality.

16. mndodge

mndodge

Your right about the price for a job well done, I think that's half the battle.
    You mentioned about heating the wheel.....does it flow into crevice pretty well and look pretty good then?

17. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I know a place that blasts and coats them for $25 each and I know a place that charges $100 each. I tryed both and well you get what you pay for. Just check out there work before you get yours done.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

$50 blasted and powdercoated is what I consider normal. There's a guy around here that'll do them for $35 though.

19. mndodge

mndodge

I appreciate the replies and the heads up.....lots of great replies, thanks!!

20. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Got same price quoted to me here in Bemidji. $75 per; unless wheels really bad.

21. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Had mine done this spring here in Seacoast. That price is about right. How are the wheels prepared? This guy did mine by blasting first, then galvanizing and then powerd coating. Came out damn nice and will probably outlast me!

22. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Powder is awesome until you get juice brakes on them.... I prefer paint but powder does last alot longer and is more durable, im just cheap like that though. Price seems right on the money for a good job done well. They can also pre line any low spots too so coverage isnt affected and that line around the rim wont crack from air being behind it.

23. mndodge

mndodge

He said he first sand blasts them, then he puts on a phosphate sealer and then powder coats them...
    The guy that quoted me $75 a wheel, all he does is powder coating.
    The guy that quoted me $60 a wheel, does powder coating and has a repair shop and does everything under the sun, but he also quoted me $80 a wheel for my 35 spokes. The fist guy told me its at least four hours per wheel, so they both have a big gap in time and price.

24. good price, it all depends on area though, make sure after blasting them that he cleans the groove with a sharp flat blade screw driver or a razor blade.

26. there is no comparison, powder is a baked on finish that resists chipping, paint, well is not.

27. get a different coater with better equipment and knowledge, otherwise why would you pay for something to get encapsulated when it really isnt?

28. if you put it on "hot", it will look like you put it on hot.
    it makes it "fat" looking, always spray items at room temp. If you get good equipment, it does away with the "holidays" people are speaking about.
    powder will adhere to all surfaces if its done correctly.
    My gun is over $5k, it does a little better job than the average garage kit and cheap guns most buy. Tribo technology does better in cracks and tiny spots better than carona technology. most folks use cheap carona guns and there you have the holidays....

and you WILL need a big compressor for the blasting part.

and yes, the prep is the costly thing, most of my jobs are quoted on amount of prep and colors chosen. I dont do industrial work, I do show quality work and there IS a difference.

29. mndodge

mndodge

Your last reply is kind how I was thinking also, I don't know squat about the whole process but to spend money on having it done and then having to put silicone on to seal where the powder can't get doesn't seem like they would be real quality over all?
    He had two rims he had done sitting on the shelf and sure as hell when you look at them you could see the seam of the rim where the powder didn't settle into.
    I'm not building a 10+ show car, but I want something that defects don't pop and it is the first thing you see.

30. 34Partshunter

34Partshunter
    from Hutto TX

Check with Falcon man.

I think $75 is real good considering the process.