Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metropolitan Roof Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swifster, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Swifster

Swifster

OK, I'm looking at a '60 Met hardtop. Has anyone cut the top off one of these and convert it to a convertible? I tried the search thing and didn't find anything.

2. 55willys

55willys

I have not done it but it is the same as any other unibody car it will need to be gusseted in the right places to keep it from flexing after the top is removed since it is a structural member. The thing to do is find a rusted convertible and use the top and gussets or copy those parts. Hope this helps. Jim (55willys)

3. I am working on one now, mucho modified,but was a coupe.....[top inner structure was rusted bad]
    the top came off and leaves a flat top on the windshield frame that looks presentable.
    I am thinking I will add a 3/4" rounded edge as it has a sheetmetal edge on the rear side of this w/s frames top side.....
    the underside of car will need structural improvements and must be in good shape as well, this one is getting a cage for reinforcing purposes.....
    you could actually double the rear subrails by piggybacking them from the rear wheel centerline forward to about mid door[all inside interior AND UNDER SEAT/not under the car].....the riser for rear seat when opened up allows space to do that,then they would taper to a point at mid door.thus reinforcing the area in the most stress from" convertibilizing"the Met....I also installed an actual frame from the rear doorline forward,re utilizing the rear half of orig MET'S subrails and floor.....

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The factory made a convertible. Recently there was a junkyard thread with 3 of them in the Pic A Part, don't remember where they are but you should be able to find the thread. Good place to find top mechanism etc if not too far away.

5. Swifster

Swifster

Rusty, I saw the thread. The bodies on those cars look pretty solid. I just thought someone sold complete top kits and that was reinforced. I might have been mistaken.

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm late to the party here but it's easy it taked 15 minutes. there's 3 spot welds on the b pillars and about 40 across the header. lay a sawzall on an angle to take care of the header section. after it's off clean drill the sopts and clean it up. no extra bracing in the floors or body of the verts. I did my uncle's about 10 years ago. took 15 minutes.

just picked up a coupel for my daughter and I'm thinking about doing the same for hers.

7. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

From '58 on up they were all convertibles. I don't know if the '57 and older convertibles had any extra bracing in the frame/body.

8. Swifster

Swifster

Appreciate the input. Every little bit helps.

9. jcillch

jcillch

No extra bracing is needed at all. Every one started out as a convertible. Just cut the spot welds and go. Make it a removable hardtop.

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Like this? .....

[​IMG]