Register now to get rid of these ads!

Petersen Museum sellling of Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquireDon, Jul 17, 2013.

1. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

If you watch CAR CRAZY on TV you'll see fancy car museums in Europe all over the objets d'art French car thing.
    How many more of these stupid expensive Bugs and Avions can there be outside of collections?
    Yes, they're gorgeous...

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cunningham Coupe. WOW! I need a lottery win!

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That blue Deuce roadster could find a spot in my shop any day of the week. It just reeks TRADITIONAL. The chance of it getting there are exactly the same given a snow ball in hell.
    For the first time I'm glad that Robert Peterson is no longer with us. He would not be pleased (and I'm sure his wife would not be also) to see what his life time of work has turned into so soon after their deaths.

Frank

4. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

I get that the HAMB is all period correct but you guys talk about some of the custom stuff like you wouldn't even drive them if you had the chance. :rolleyes:

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think it's just on loan, from what I hear locally.

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok....so maybe they just want to try something different?

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

8. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The shift of interest and the criteria involved makes me wonder if it has something to do with a fat endowment from the economic recovery act.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

10. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I was at the Peterson in June of this year. I gotta say I was a little dissappointed in the cars on display. Not a lot of hot rods on the floor. But, for an extra $30 I could tour the Basement, I passed. There were four of us and I didn't have that much "extra" cash on me at the time.......

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Is that list of cars all from the Petersen or all the cars in the auction (other collections too)?

13. Rem

Rem

That Miller Automotive '32 Roadster's chassis number has too many digits, doesn't it? Mine has seven numbers after the AB, so presumably a typo?

14. Ooooh, a Barris custom...

[​IMG]

15. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Kill it with fire.

16. It is called deaccessioning, a fancy word that means they want to get rid of something that does not fit the current mission inorder to buy someting else that does. Happens all the time in museums. If you do not want your stuff sold by a museum as a donor you have to give a restricted gift. Museums generally do not want such gifts and may/often decline to accept you itemunless it is a high caliber item that they would(should) never get rid of.

17. Yep, and they have to throw in a few "desirable" cars to attract the attention.

If it was all this stuff no one would show up (no one with $$ anyway)...

[​IMG]

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just maybe the museum is being run by a group of suits who have never worked on a car in their entire lives. Just maybe they are doing whatever their suit friends are saying. Just maybe hot rods and suits don't mix very well, and for real those suits are certainly not following the founding goals of the Peterson. Just because you have a big boat does not make you a sailor, and just because you got on a museum board does not make you honest or smart or wise. Sad to see.

19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Oh baby, Is this one NSRA compliant now?

20. redlinerobbie

redlinerobbie

I take it not all the cars on that link belong to the Peterson museum? I've seen the costa Stewart willys at the hot rod reunion and did not think it was a museum piece, without a doubt one of the nastiest sounding cars of all time and if I had my pick that would be it, I see a lot of great cars going up for auction can't wait to see the prices maybe they'll be some bargains? :)

Attached Files:

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And that there is the key reason they are changing. They have looked at the quality museums globally and are adapting. Kudos to the board for manning up and moving forward.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I want an Italian 2+2, I'd WAAAAAY rather have my dads '66 Maserati Sebring:D;). I was kinda drooling over the big brake fuelie vette, but the Cunningham is THE ONE. YUUUUM.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We must be looking at different auctions? So many flathead powered cars, I got tired of looking.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never been to the Peterson Museum, but it sounds like the changes are being made to make it different for those who might make several trips there. I see no reason the inventory would need to change for the person who only gets there once or twice in their lifetime, as they wont be looking for different inventory.

28. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

There a lot of good cars there for sale. I would love to have that Troy Ladd deuce.

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

30. My sentiments exactly. I have over 10,000 car/auto magazines from the late 40's - present that another website owner wanted to scan in for their library and Peterson's was interested in doing the daunting task of digitizing all of them with the pretense of me donating them to the the museum. I don't think so! Even with a write off.