Register now to get rid of these ads!

Intake troubles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66tj66, Jul 18, 2013.

1. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I am swapping a 302 roller cam motor into my Fairlane, and I can't get my Edelbrock 289 intake to fit on it. When I set it down, the passenger side holes line up, but the driver's side holes are off by about a quarter inch. The roller has aluminum heads. I am also going to use my Mallory HEI in it with a Trick Flow Stage one cam. Should I use a bronze or steel gear. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. kracker36

kracker36

Do you know if the heads, intake, or block have been milled? Also, you might want to do an introduction here and let us know what rides you have. Lots of knowledge here, but the rules need to be followed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  3. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Gotcha, I posted a thread on the introductions page. I'm checking into the block to find out if it's been decked.

4. What do the bolt holes look like if you center the manifolds end rails,to the blocks end rails?

5. If the Trick Flow cam is a steel billet, use a steel gear. Bronze will work, but won't last long. Racers use bronze, but longevity isn't an issue with them...

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check Summit Racing, Jeg's, etc to find your manifold and see what years it fits. example: a Edelbrock Performer 2121 only for use up to '72

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

What brand of heads did you use? some after market SBF heads have larger intake ports and you will have a mis-alignment issue with them, this site has a ton of info: www.sbftech.com Do not be surprised if they tell you to toss the Performer 289 based on just the parts you listed it is a total mis-match.Since you have the intake off measure the length and width of the head ports and compare that to the size of the intakes ports.

8. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

They center up length wise, but the manifold holes are too wide cross wise.

9. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Thanks. I got a steel one from the parts store, for a stock distributor but its bore is too big for my distributor shaft.

10. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Thanks I got a steel one from the parts house but it is bored too big for my Mallory

11. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I looked at Jegs and theirs only go to 85. My block is stamped E7 above the starter, so I'm calling it an 87. I emailed the Jegs tech and he said I needed the one I have, that won't fit.

12. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Head on over to the www.sbftech.com for info. Sounds like you got a lot of issues with fitness, especially with the manifold as jeffb2 mentioned

13. kursplat

kursplat

sounds like the block and / or heads have been cut. if so, you need to talk to your engine shop. do you know any of the history on the block and heads?

good luck

edit: just re-read the original post. what intake was on the engine in the fairlane previously? how does that one fit on another engine?
    also some AL heads need a matching intake. what heads are these?

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

15. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Thank you kind sir. I joined up over there and I am awaiting their approval. My buddy is suggesting a single plane Weiand. I was just gonna use my performer to get it on the road again.

16. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I'm not having any luck finding out about the block. This intake fit my 289 with cast iron heads fine. The aluminum heads are Brodix. Thanks

17. The Edelbrock 289 manifold will fit ANY carbureted Windsor based 260-289-302-5.0 . the only difference when you see those year listings has to do with EGR valves. They all interchange as far as bolting on. And unless you have some exotic heads, pretty much all small block Ford aluminum heads use stock style manifolds as well. EDIT - Even the Brodix Tack heads will fit a stock type manifold. My guess? the heads and or block have been milled.

One last question, were you checking that gap with gaskets in place, or just doing a "dry Run" to see if it fits?

18. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I have a distributor on hand with a cast gear, and the one on my Mallory looks like steel, not cast. Of course I pulled it to try and put the one from the parts house on it. The stock one from the parts house looked just like it, but the bore was too big. Is a steel gear a steel gear, or are there different steel gears? Sounds like a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask. The Jegs rep of course recommended a $70 bronze one, but it shows it to be a .5 something bore, and I'm betting that's too big. The Jegs rep also told me my performer intake will fit this motor, but it's not lining up either, so I'm thinking his testimony is suspect.

19. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Thanks, I joined up over there and I'm waiting for an approval e mail so I can use their search button.

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

OK, I gotta ask. You SURE it's a roller 302 and not a 351w?

21. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I tried it first with the gaskets and when it wouldn't go, I pulled the gaskets and checked without. I'm not having any luck finding out from my buddy if the block has been decked. I'm kinda leaning towards that possibility. Where does a guy go from here, take motor and intake to the shop and have them look? Hey, and thanks for the info on that manifold fitting any of them, I was hoping I'd found an answer, but I guess not.

22. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I'm 95% sure but I'll take a look. My intake is seeming too wide. If I was trying to put it on a 351, wouldn't the 289 intake be too narrow?

23. kracker36

kracker36

Yes, windsor intake is wider. Can you see if your pistons are close to zero deck?

24. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

I'll have to take a look.

25. Yep, if the heads and or block have been milled excessively, then the manifold will need to be machined as well.

As for the gear, don't run a brass or bronze gear on the street. They are really just for Steel Billet roller cams, not street type rollers. Those gears are sacrificial and last about 3,000 miles while putting the worn bronze through your motor.

Get a PerTronix Plug n play distributor - they come with the proper treated gear for roller street cams and will take care of your problem, while looking better than an HEI on a Ford.

26. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

Looking at my intake again, it looks like I could drill the bolt holes a little and make it work. The ends of the manifold are only about 3/16 from touching the the block. Anyone had any luck with this trick? I know my HIS doesn't look right, but it's so easy! Thanks!

27. 66tj66

66tj66
    from missouri

That should say my HEI, my Kindle has a nasty auto correct.

28. Not if it destroys the cam :D The PerTronix distributor does require and external coil, but no box and just two wires.

29. Wait - you lost me here. the "Ends" of the manifold aren't touching? you mean the flat part between the heads? Taht part shouldn't be touching.
    can you post a picture

30. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Any attempt at drilling should be measured with gaskets in place. There are many gasket kits so make sure you get the right ones....

302/351 are windsors..... or Clevelands