Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Clone your favorite race car and make it street legal.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Winner Winner chicken dinner. Keep them coming.

2. Rochie

Rochie

This is a guy I met in Thunderbay Ont a few years back. He's been driving this for a long time

Attached Files:

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think most people who grew up in the heyday of racing love old race cars, and there's only so many of them that survived. Even those that are found should be left in their race form, so making them street legal would be a shame.
    The alternative is to make a "clone" of those cars you love, or at least make something in the same genre that emulates the era. It's not for everyone, and from a few replies I see here there are those who don't like it at all. But I guess I may not like their taste in cars either. For me the race cars of the 50's and 60's (or even earlier!) bring a smile to my face, and when I see something driving down the street done in that style I love it.

4. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

1. Mooneyham & Sharp 554 without a doubt

2. Chrisman coupe

3. 1961 Chenowth Chevrolet Indy Roadster. I have fallen in love with this. I would love to rip around town in this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Mine would be Smokey Yunick's '66 black and gold 427 Chevelle stock car. I've been trying to buy back my SS396 Chevelle (black) almost from the day I sold it with no luck. The guy hasn't put 100 miles on it since he bought it but just likes hoarding it and waiting for me to make another offer to buy it back. My last offer was twice what I paid for it new.
    If it ever comes back there is a brand new L-88 and a new M-22 waiting. He's younger than me so I figure he waiting to drive it to my funeral.:(

Frank

6. Back in the 80s there was a local clone of a then late model Winston cup car near where I live. I thought it was neat, but I'm sure it would get old quickly.
    Although nowhere near a "clone" my off topic truck will be built in the style of the Tyrone Malone speed record/show trucks.

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

What 'bout "cloning" the Harrah's Miller 91 'Packard-Cable Special', if ya want a 'Real-Race-Car'? 'Course 'street-legal' 'd be a Major bitch, but still fun to consider!!

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

would be a pain in the ass to get in and out of for a street legal car, not to mention the tiny steering wheel and a hemi breathing down your neck. Still would be badass though...

[​IMG]

9. My Opinion? Not a fan of clones as a general rule. If the car still exists, then I don't really see the point, why not build your own car - it's fine to use styling cues from a famous car, or even combine a few cars, but to make a "copy" of something just dilutes both the original and the copy. And to Dilute the value and mystique of a famous car by copying it is just sad, and wrong.
    It's kind of like Cobra's - there are so many Fauxbra's that A) many people don't even get excited about them anymore, and B) I have seen owners or Real Original ones get asked "Is it real" and when they answer yes, the asker doesn't believe it anyway.

As for making legitimate race cars street legal, it's kind of pointless as well, Race cars don't make good street cars and street cars rarely make good race cars. There was a guy in Newport Beach, CA back in the 1970's that managed to make a fairly current Indy car street legal. It drew tons of attention and he told me it was a lot of fun, for a while, but like most novelty things it got old real quick and wasn't so much fun anymore. Then he had a ton of money in something that wasn't any fun to drive and was no longer worth much historically, without putting more money back into making it original.

A clone of a long gone car is different. if it is done as faithfully as possible, then it is a representation of something cherished and allows people to see what it was really like, and as long as it it represented as such, and not passed off as the original, then that is a good thing.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I intend to clone the Scotty's T roadster someday. Don't think it will be street legal though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ron, I understand the desire to recreate some of these beauties....BUT, short of having unlimited funds and could afford one or two right-on replicas, I have too many original projects to get out before I ever start recreating someone else's efforts. I love to cherry pick elements from my favorite cars, builders and eras, but that's as far as I'd go.

12. murfman

murfman

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

TonyNancy's Jr 22.(any of them)... or the triple nickel...555 ....... oh yea.......

14. jaxx

jaxx

Hemi under glass would be my choice or Dave Wrens drag Cuda from the 70s -- jaxx

15. I wouldn't clone, as in build a "fooler" but following it as a guide

Attached Files:

16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

17. I want to build my honey one almost just like this.
    Body and proportions the same but bit more grocery store parking lot friendly drive train.

Not really a clone of anything famous.
    I'm afraid it would just be a different version of a pro street car.

Attached Files:

18. It quite a bit different

Attached Files:

19. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Man I dig the Panther Pink one!

21. Thumper

Thumper

Shit man......I'm gonna do Ricky Bobby's Chevelle.....:eek:

Attached Files:

22. Can I just take my favorite racecar and make it kinda street legal?Wooops to late did already....shit pics in next frame....

23. My dad owned this for a few years in the 80's. Sold it at the Pomona swap meet in 88-89. Said it was one of the funnest cars he ever owned.
    [​IMG]

24. Deuces

Deuces

.....;)

Attached Files:

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Sam

Yep I did drive it on the street a few times, with the stiffer suspension it was a bit hard on the fanny

One time on a freeway frontage road a CHP car went by me looking down on the gasser, as we both got a glimpse of each other as I was full tilt in hi gear

Well needless to say he was really ticked off, I sweet talked him out of a ticket and he said if he ever saw me going that again he would put me in the clink and impound the car

Yes Sir I said hooked up the tow bar and got the hell out of there

When I sold the car 2 bros had it for 2 yrs and I guy from NY state bought it put in a 350 - 350 package - took out the plex side windows - new bigger radiator and did drive it on the street

Must have beat them to death with no padding on the glass bucket seats plus your ears with all the sounds you hear with the all alum interior

AH those were the days, Don

26. bobadame

bobadame

Tommy Ivo's 4 engined Buick would be fun on a cruise night.

27. I agree with your choice. Either that car or the 554 would be a great guide to build a car in the same style.

28. barstowpo

barstowpo

A 4 cam dirt champ car would be awesome. I can see it is Sunoco colors now. Not sure where I would put a shifter and clutch pedal.