Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Out of line asking for a ride while at Bonneville?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Hey guys, Im taking my two nephews (13 and 15) to Speed Week with me. This will be there first car event of any kind. Im just trying to maybe get their juices going with the HAMB style hot rods and customs.

So far they are digging my vision with my Unibody (60s ish style) and I think if they got to take an actual ride in a cool hot rod it would really crank em up.

So would I be outta line asking any of the HAMB guys down there to maybe give em a little spin around the salt?

Id probably take a video of them too so their pop can see it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. 66juiced

66juiced
    from Austin tx

3. I like the idea.....I bet if you came around the Rolling Bones pit and ask, someone would give them a ride in a real hot rod.

4. I'm either making a trip to California in June or a trip to Bonneville in August in my 40 next year. If I do go to the salt, I'd be more than happy to give them a ride!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The real problem is getting them out of the cars. Gary

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

It never hurts to ask, what's the worst that can happen? Any real hotrodder would gladly give a ride to those kids. That's how this hobby will stay alive, hope it works out for you guys!

7. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Are you kidding!? Ask away!! I'm a grown-man and I've even asked to go for a ride sometimes! As long as the person you ask isn't elbow-deep in an engine I think they'd be happy to spread a little inspiration.

8. Id do the asking for them, but I'm not sure if they would even do it because they are both pretty shy ... gotta open up sometime though lol

9. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Why haven't you been taking them to car events before now??? :cool:

J/K....Have a great time!!!

10. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Take them to the divers meeting on the first day of competition and afterwards you can drive down the track with everyone ells. The only time they let street cars in mass on the track.

11. This is a good idea. This will be somewhere between my 8th and 10th trip to Speed Week (I have CRS lol) and Ive never attended the drivers meeting or the caravan down the track.

Thanks for reminding me about this.

12. If they are interested in a ride in a giant POS Oldsmobile, you are welcome in my 64 Model Ninety Eight. It would be an excellent example of why they need good jobs to afford to build nicer cars. HA!

13. choptop4

choptop4

Iam not racing this year.But I always Take people in the chase truck.Ive had folks from all over the world with us.It's always fun to make new friends.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Well it was fifty years ago but my saying was, "if you don't ask, you don't get."

15. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

ill be in my avatar car. black 29 roadster on 32 frame with white top and will be hangin in the LSR pits.if you see me ill give em a ride for sure

16. KIRK

KIRK

If I were there I would gladly give them a ride. I always take time with young people. After all they are going to take over all of our rides some day.

17. supervert

supervert

We took our kids to el mirage last year, and just about everybody that had a car there let my two rug rats climb in and buckle up. I'm sure if they would of asked, somebody would of taken them for a spin. I grew up with sprint cars in my garage and I was surprised how much the l.s.r. Guys are like a big family vs competitors like the roundy round guys.

18. Please do I am constantly amazed when I cruise in my truck and kids don't even give me a 2nd look or appear to have any interest. But have a foreign car with a fart can go by and you'd think a McClaren just passed by. Really sad....

19. plan9

plan9

definitely ask... any kid showing an interest with the race car got to sit in it.

#544 is a blue 1930/31 roadster, Logan Davis is the owner/builder. if you see it in the pits just ask.

[​IMG]

20. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I'm sure there will be tons of people who would be willing to give them a ride, at least there should be...

21. jazz1

jazz1

Be one low life SOB who would shattered a kids dream. Just tonight a young fellow looking over my truck,,i opened the door and he sat behind the wheel and you know his imagination was doing 100 mph. Thats one way to encourage youngsters.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just have to think that you just asked. Make sure they are protected from the sun. Sunburned companions can blow a trip to Bonneville big time. Plus pack plenty of Gatoraid or something similar and water to stay hydrated.

23. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just look for Ol'Yeller.I'd be happy to give em a ride.It's our responsibility to share in the fun!

24. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

I would take them for a ride as long as I'm not in the middle of working on the streamliner. Stop by and check , I'm sure we can figure something out. 7800 A/BFS

25. Looks like the boys will have a good time, even if they are too shy to actually accept a ride lol. I think even getting their picture taken in a hot rod or race car would be pretty cool. I appreciate all the offers so far ... a whole lot of good people here on the HAMB.

One thing about Bonneville, from all the times Ive gone Ive never once had a bad interaction with racers or spectators. Truly one of the coolest gatherings on the planet. I cant count the times Ive been invited to have a seat and a refreshment with people Ive never met before.

As far as keeping the boys protected from the sun and keeping em hydrated Ill probably over do it =) Don't want to send em home all crispy and dehydrated lol.

26. daddio211

daddio211

I'd never miss the opportunity to take a kid for a ride in a hot rod, and I think most others feel the same way. As long as the kids are polite and respectful to the car and it's owner they'd likely be happy to do it.

On the way there teach them car show basics though. NO touching, NO leaning, NO running around or horseplay near the cars, NO frisbees or toys that can "get away", etc. Encourage them to ask owners questions and such. I do a lot of shows with my kids and we go through the rules EVERY time. Never had a problem.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is cool. I hope they have a great time. And they'll remember it forever.

Can you imagine a 13 or 15 year old young man being allowed to drive a hot rod? Oh my gosh...lol. And what better place to do it than at the salt flats. Partly because there's nothin' to run into...lol.

28. oldsman41

oldsman41

i do this alot at car shows. mom and dad in the back seat and the kids up front,smiles all around.

29. Bring them by our pit and they can hop in #416 as well. Not a ride but they will get a kick out of it.

30. Definitely going to spend some time with you guys considering the truck they are working on is a Unibody. Also you are going to have the BBQ there right?