Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTF, who here is running a working vacuum wiper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kcbeardclub, Jul 15, 2013.

1. aaggie

aaggie

Newport Wipers make a good electric replacement unit. I have their stuff on my '40 Chevy and '37 Terraplane.

2. chopped

chopped

Can someone tell me how to get the wiper assembly part? I can't figure out what the connectors are, screws or what. Do you need a special tool?

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Several years ago I used a 6 volt vacuum pump that was given to me, I was told it was from a boat. I piped it into the wiper circuit with a small canister. It worked like a modern car. If anybody knows where I can get another 6 volt pump please post the info.

4. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Yup cant see squat when you accelerate and wipes like hell when you let off.
    A little wd40 helps the seal inside

5. chopped

chopped

Little help here please.

6. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

I needed motors for my '52 Willys M38A1, and was surprised to find that they were available as NOS military surplus. It seems that many milsurp dealers have them, and they should be adaptable to many civilian applications.

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I use brake fluid to squirt in the motor. old guy told me the b.f. swelled the seals. works for me.

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

they can only run on the vacum produced by the engine that said my 38 ford with a little help from wd 40 and a chevy engine that produces 26 i believe its inches of vacum will run away with itself if i dont feather the switch .

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Get a vacuum gauge and test the supply. There are a lot of things that can mess up your vacuum signal.

Add a vacuum canister to act as a reservoir.

10. chopped

chopped

Nobody ever take one of these apart?

11. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Can you post a picture of yours. Specifically the bolts holding it together? If I remember correctly I used a allen wrench on mine.

12. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

On my 58, I had to use small pliers on each screw. The screws are made with a single ridge running across the top. I didn't have any kind of tool for that.

Chopped. Take at look at the design of your particular wiper motor. There will be a series of screws that hold the top cover on. In some cases you will have to remove a side cover and some control valve pieces before you can lift the top off.

13. chopped

chopped

That worked, I gave it too much thought, confused myself. Thanks.

14. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I appreciate that Rickybop, I will see what I come up with.

15. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I didn't say all stock my man, I said as stock as possible. I'm on this forum because there is a hell of a lot of great advice on it from people that know their shit, as well as some one or two sentence responses that don't seem to add much to a discussion.

16. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

If your wiper motor is in good condition - pot metal housing is not age distorted or badly pitted, paddle seals are good and lubed with silicone grease, everything CLEAN, paper gasket good, no vacuum leaks - and you're still not happy, you might try looking for a 6V electric vacuum pump (like the 12V ones on diesel trucks). I found one at a fire equipment swap meet a couple years ago. Add a big reservoir with a check valve and you'll be amazed at how well they work.

17. nali

nali

Works correctly on my Rambler , but I m cheating, half of the fuel pump is also a vacuum pump :)

18. 73super

73super

I have a '49 4 door with vacuum wipers (I've got a V8 in the thing, but stock wiper system).. and sorry to say.. they work GREAT!

100_3357.jpg

19. jan bogert

jan bogert

don't know if this will work for u, but its from my henry j, and it works very well. my henry is 6 volt, vacume. I have this on ebay under henry j. check it out. JAN:)

Attached Files:

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want, connect a vacuum line directly from the pump to the motor to bypass the speed control to make sure that's not part of the problem.

And a couple of the guys are right...when they're working well, they'll go like crazy if you don't idle 'em down with the speed control...lol.

Often, the spring that holds the wiper blade tight against the windshield is weak. If you get the motor working well, check that...and if needed, maybe look into getting new arms that'll help the wipers to actually wipe.

And as one of the other posters mentioned, don't forget to check the pivot points at the end of the connector rods to see that they aren't binding...or even worn out and sloppy. If I remember right, there are little bushings that might need to be replaced.

21. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Awesome, will do. Thanks man

22. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

Does anyone know if a Henry J vacuum wiper will fit in a 51 fleetline?

23. 327Eric

327Eric

I can't say for sure if the Henry J unit will fit your fleetline or not, But I do own a Henry J, and the Unit looks the same as the other Units I've dealt with, the only possible difference could be the arms. The ones I had were 57 and 59 Ford units, and I pulled a couple out of junkyard for the 59. Tho only reason I couldn't get one to operate was due to a bent housing. A good cleaning inside, and gun oil was all mine needed.