Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody mount a brake light switch on a 32 Ford with mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevinsrodshop, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I picked up one of these brake switches from Macs. Hoping I could make it work on a 32 Ford with mechanical brakes. Trying to find a mounting spot for it in the brake pedal area. Anybody do it before and can give me a pic?

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

I assume it must make the connection when the pin comes out.

anyways, if the car is mech orig rod type brakes, can't you go off of the main cross shaft ass'y, if you have no room at the brake pedal? I have never had a 32 stock brake setup, but Model A has a cross shaft with plenty of room to add a switch in that area.

3. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Yes the switch is closed with the pin out. I thought about putting it on the cross shaft but the cross shaft moves when the parking brake is set. Don't want the brake lights on with the park brake set. That means it has to be on the brake pedal somewhere. Not much room around there plus not much of a flat surface for the pin to be alighed with.

4. F&J

F&J

oops forgot about the e-brake.

well....an active thread gets more views, that's my story:)

5. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Henry Ford did!

6. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Not in 32 lol. 35 was the first year for brake lights I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

NAPA has a switch with a cross-lever on it, mount the switch beneath the toe board so the pedal arm goes down and the spring-loaded lever goes with it, completing the 2 wire circuit.
    Pedal is released, back goes the arm, breaking the circuit.

Switch is generic, for a truck, probably a manual PTO, to alert the driver when the lever is engaged...

8. Wait, so until '35 the rear tail lights were only there for night driving? I could've sworn my original '32 light had a double filament bulb in it.. which would suggest a driving light and brake light?

9. chevyburb

chevyburb

What Atwater Mike said....They were on '50's Chevy/GMC trucks.

10. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I can only go by what mine is. I had a single filament bulb in mine.

11. You also had (or should have had) in addition to the brake light bulb a second bulb for the tail light. I would just hold out for an original switch. Try Baxter's Ford Parts (785) 842-9256, C&G (760) 740-2400, The Early Ford Store (909) 305-1955.

Charlie Stephens

12. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Where does and original switch mount? There's no switch in my truck that I can see.

13. The switch in the picture above looks very much like the correct switch. When you pull the e brake does the brake pedal go down also? If not the switch will be close to the pedal. Been over 40 years since I had a model a.

14. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Pulling the e brake does not move the brake pedal. I've looked again and there is nothing in the brake pedal area that looks like it ever mounted a swtich in the past.

15. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

Like Atwater Mike said, the lever type. The part number is either SLS-40 or SLS-43. Both bolt to the under side of the floor with 10-32 screws. They are a GM switch ranging from '41-'72. Most auto parts stock them. They also come in left or right side lever, depending on which way you look at it.

The part number is out of my "Standard Engine Management" book.

16. JM 35 Sedan

JM 35 Sedan

I know there were brake light switches on Fords prior to '35, including '32. Go over on the Fordbarn and post this question. If DavidG or one of the other knowledgeable '32 gurus does not answer your post, send a pm to DavidG. He wrote the latest two volume restoration book on the 32 Ford. I am sure he can tell you where the brake light switch mounts on an original '32.

17. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

When I went to the dual master on my Willys pickup, I removed the hydraulic pressure switch. I ended up using a rear brake switch off a motorcycle. It's a pull type plunger switch. I made up a bracket and attached the spring to the spring hole in the pedal. Works fine.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/34087/sn/1416444322/name/PA230016.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  18. The original switch mounts on the left front of the 1932 transmission shift tower. An original shift tower should have a threaded hole for the screw to mount the switch. The switch is activated by a wire and a spring going to the brake pedal.

Charlie Stephens

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Have you ever looked in Snyders catalog at the brake light switches for 28 and 29 Fords, also the switch for 30/31 Ford?
    I use a Harley pull switch from J&P cycles

20. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Ahh so thats what the stud with the red arrow is for then?

Attached Files:

21. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Not Snyders but Macs doesn't offer one for 32 so I thought it didn't exist. For that matter I didn't know Model As came with brake lights too. I'm learning lots tonight.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Is that the breather/pressure relief?

23. Yes, that is where the switch mounts. I think (working from memory) you will also find a small tit about 1 inch towards the rear of the car to keep the switch aligned.

Charlie Stephens

24. 32 ford brake light switch.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.33.21 PM.png
    been looking at this for mine. Orig pedals with an old school hydraulic conversion. notice the angle on the switch tab and the different size holes

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The proper '32 switch is fairly hard to find, and of course won't go right on without some minor creativity if you have a later trans lid. If that applies to you, bending up a bracket to mount another early Ford switch off of that area so it hits the brake rod should not be terribly hard. It can't really go anywhere else on '32 with stock brakes, because mounted there it works from the brake pedal but not the E brake lever. Mounted to work from the crossbar or something your brake lights would be on with car parked...the '32 has full service four wheel brakes on the e-brake as well as on the pedal.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. Check out the NOS 32 brake light switch on eBay now.
    The auction is up to 180.00 (proof that 1932's are a sickness)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Model A Fords had brake light switches. Mounted to the transmission with a link to the break pedal.

28. model a transmission mount stoplight switch.
    model a stoplight.jpg
    That might work for me.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My stock '30 Model A had a stop lamp. I was second owner...sold it because it was a Coupe. A rust free Coupe.
    I had a roadster. And sold my Coupe. It's just now sinking in...
    Bring me my straitjacket, please.

30. I had nothing but issues with the pictured switches - went to a mechanical lever switch, no more issues ;)

37 Millrat likes this.