Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scammer working the HAMB!!!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Gangsters pair a dice, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Gangsters pair a dice

Gangsters pair a dice
    from Earth

Just a heads up to everyone that I believe there is a scammer on the HAMB. I posted an add a week or so ago looking for a Cadillac rear bumper. This person contacted me and asked me to respond to his email. I did this and he sent me a pic of a front bumper with a price and instructions to send money via Money Gram. I responded that I was looking for a rear bumper and would prefer to talk to him in via phone. He told me he was in the U.K. and did not have access to a phone, but could send me a picture of the rear bumper that I was looking for. I received the pic of the bumper but it did not show the ends and the bottom so I could verify that it was solid. I asked if he could send me this request to which he replied that he does not have a camera now and will no longer respond to any of my attempts to contact him. Just seems a little fishy and I thought I should caution everyone on these online scams. His user name is

newbie11

2. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Yup they are working the wanted ads. BEWARE folks!

3. thanks for the heads up....I thought I got scammed a month ago, in fact moderators emailed me, told me how the person was posting from overseas...I had already sold and shipped to a confirmed paypal account, one that the shipping address was confirmed etc, the person was legit, actually traveled a ton for work, he then told me very detailed info about his project, stuff that unless you were into cars, you would not know about, so anyways, sometimes what seems like a scam isn't and vice versa

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy solution. Never deal with members via email and never pay via wire.

5. Yeah,,the UK Scammers love the Hamb,,sadly it makes it difficult for the honest guys across the pond to get a far shake at times.

The Scammers are not hard to see through. HRP

6. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Always verify and talk to the person on the phone, if they really want to sell or buy something then they will talk to you and not have any excuses.

7. elba

elba

Somebody contacted me and said they had the part I was looking for. NEVER GOT BACK TO ME.

8. If you are gonna make a big deal & warn Hamb'ers about a potential scammer..... at least post the user ID so everyone knows what to look for.:rolleyes:

Dealing parts with anyone who is not a Hamb Alliance member is a crap shoot.

9. He did..It is at the bottom of his post newbie11

10. verr1908

verr1908
    from england

As a HAMB user in the UK ,I almost got scammed by an guy in Ireland using rods and sods ,they are working all the wanted adds ,see you guys for Bakersfield oct

11. Gangsters pair a dice

Gangsters pair a dice
    from Earth

I did mention it on my first post, but since you missed it. Here it is.

His user name is

newbie11

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  12. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

I had the same thing happen to me. The guys english was horrible and he was in the uk. Go figure ??? I asked him to send me a pic of hi m holding the parts and a pic of him showing the front page of his local news paper. Well that was the end of that.

13. xhooligan_skeeterx

xhooligan_skeeterx

I just got an email from him (newbie11). Cause I'm looking for a manifold for the Buick. He said "email me on [email protected] with your wanted parts plus a phone number and we'll go from there". Glad I saw this thanks for the heads up.

14. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Why has he not been banned ? Or has he ?

15. I thought for sure the guy who emailed me was a scam, as did the moderators, it wasn't a scam...and was a smooth transaction

Typically I will only do business with someone who is active on the forum, so you can get an idea if they are real like someone who has been here awhile, has a bunch of posts, has project thread or something. To me it shows some history, likelihood of not being a scammer.

That said, yeah don't wire money, use paypal with a confirmed address or US Postal Money Order as scamming with that is a federal offense and the Post Office, i.e. federal agents will investigate it.

16. ironpile

ironpile

What are rods and sods?:confused:

17. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Scammers are everywhere you go. Thank you for the information on newbi 11

18. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

It is a UK hot rod forum.

Likewise

Thanks for the heads up, just about to post a wanted add myself.

gmail account generally gives them away too. also if you google the email address you get other scam activity from the same email address.

19. :cool: Yep!

20. 117harv

117harv

There are many members here from the early days and or are regular posters who have not purchased or let their alliance lapse for what ever reason, usually lack of $$$, I would trust them. I think what they say and if they take part in the discussions will give me an idea of what kind of member they are. I sold several items here before I got my alliance, no problems with any tranactions, I do see that many asking about an item for sale look at my profile page before deciding to buy. To suggest that buying the membership makes you a better or more trustworthy person is misleading. However, as Ryan has said, he will help out if a deal goes bad if both are alliance members. I purchased the membership to help out Ryan and the site, not to give others that feeling of security, but I guess it does that too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  21. thanks 4 the heads up on this ....

22. rene53catalina

rene53catalina

he also contacted me and called himself ernest cole , used a picture from ebay

23. xhooligan_skeeterx

xhooligan_skeeterx

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  24. rene53catalina

rene53catalina

well , it seems my thread was deleted because i did not report the scammers name to ryan ? it seems it is more a crime then the guy who is ripping people off .

i thought : the more warnings the better?