Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your projects start with an engine or a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsiegel, Jul 16, 2013.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

This last time around it was collecting parts first which backfired on me a little. Ended up buying parts I didn't need as by the time I got the car, my plans for it had changed.

I'll stick with getting the car first I think:cool:

2. rld14

rld14

I once bought a license plate...

Then I realized I needed a car to attach it to......

3. Bought a 364 Nailhead with the vision of building a 28 roadster, a 28 Tudor body turned up cheap so thats what im using, more room inside and its got a roof, gets bloody cold in the winter here.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The car is the dream for me, the basis for all the momentum, as in: I just HAVE to one of those! (insert your favorite make, model, style, purpose, etc. here)

By the time the build starts, I think you need to have the engine, drive line parts, and especially the wheel and tire sizes nailed down. So much depends on track widths, axle and crankshaft heights, and oil pan / tranny clearances, eh? And if you have the wrong size "builder" wheels, you probably can't get where you want with an off-kilter start. Gary

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I start with the car. Different engines are more/less cool in different cars, so I've found it better to figure what I want in the car I want.

Not to mention that cars are what they are. You can only change so much, so if there is a specific look you're looking for, the car needs to basically have it from the word "go". Obviously you can customize a lot, but if you want a 57 chevy, you can't start with a 48 dodge. Whereas if you really like 57 chevys, but you like mopar engines more, you can put a mopar engine in the 57 chevy. The running gear is an easier variable than the body.

6. badshifter

badshifter

Yes AMC. Gray Marine did the conversions.

7. 73super

73super

Either or. Sometimes one or the other. Number 1 or # 2... Yes and Yes.

So there ya go.

painted motor.jpg

49 and 55.jpg

8. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

My first build started with a door... Or most of one... I loved that door, in my mind it was the beginning. One part was enough excuse to dive in

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I've done it both ways..

I built a 421inch, 409 to put into a 59 El Camino I had. I decided that I didn't do all that work on the engine to put it in the El Camino I had. Not that I didn't like the El Camino...it's just that it's a giant heavy car...

So I wen't looking for a 61 or 62 Impala.
    I found a one owner 61 Impala, 283, 60ish thousand miles, very clean body but the owner didn't take care of the engine... He was very particular who he sold the car to. While I didn't lie about anything I said, I just didn't tell the whole truth. My friend had to walk away because he started to laugh at my answers to the guys questions...!

Anyway, bought the car, had John Kilgore build me a Switch Pitch, T-400 trans., heavy springs and shocks, a set of NASCAR (Bassett as I recall) wheels, the series 60, B&M shifter installed backward, between the door and the seat, so as to not mess with the "look" of the OEM interior.

That car was a lot of fun.

Mike

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive got 19 engines and 4 more bodies.so I quess ill say engines this time. but its usually the car first.i don't know how the hell I ended up with all these engines...

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Yep. I need a bell housing, so I can put a transmission on it.

12. wex65

wex65
    from WV

This was me too. I got the 322 first, and a month later found a very original '30 coupe.

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I like to start with a engine and a car! There are so many "projects" out there for sale that it seems a shame to just let them sit and rot. Maybe one day I will be able to do a project from tires to carb but for now I just keep buying other people's failed dreams.

14. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

My roadster started with a pair of Weber DCOE sidedrafts, the Studebaker with the car (it was my mothers).

15. spooler41

spooler41

My '26 Ford lakes modified, started out with picture I saw in a 1948 or 49 issue of HRM
    and a set of '33 Chev head lights found at a swap meet on a late sunday afternoon.
    It's been a roller for a few years now,but I'll be back on it again after some distraction.

...............Jack

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Every car I started I used a key

I started with a car and then motor & drivetrain, got burned out with the car and sold it, so now I have an engine & drivetrain and looking at another car

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Both! Most times with a car, but occasionally I start an engine build, and then look for a candidate car to drop the engine in.

18. ironpile

ironpile

Make a list of what you would like to have in your rod,the first thing you find is where you start.:D Dont be surprised if you change the list because you find something more interesting.:cool:

19. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Lets face it we are all parts horders we all have stuff on the shelf in a drawer in a trunk thinking of the next project it will fit or be used on. I think that some of us have started a project just from 1 part and have built a car or truck around it, I know I have. You know the drill man one of these days I'm gonna......... so there is no wrong answer to this question.

20. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

mine started with engine, big block olds, bored, dual quad carbs, etc that I then got several 67 thru 70 chev trucks to build one hot rod, but then decided to trade/sell the trucks for the current project, the 49 packard which the olds motor will make it go!:D

21. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Started with late teens Fordson tractor gas tank. Lakes modified 30 Model A

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Steering wheel

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have been accused of buying a single wheel at a swap meet, building an entire car around it, then getting rid of the original wheel...Won't mention who said that, but ElPolacko's probably right.

24. 327Eric

327Eric

I have always had engines, I am a big fan of 327's, and snatch them up when I can. All my projects have kind of come up, as suitable homes for my engines. I built my 427 For my Henry J, before I did any metal work, found the 59 ElCamino, shoved the 427 into it, and then found a 413, and am building my J around it. Both were pains in the ass, and I still have 2 327's searching for cars.

25. mechanic58

mechanic58

I had a project once that started with a pair of those. Intriguing, aren't they? lol