Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Ford cab swap on my Ramp Truck/Dragster Hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bob,, 100 degrees? funny it only felt like 99:rolleyes: I think I drank 5 gallons of water today, Hey thanks for the new pet possum:D,great B day present That's what it was right?:confused: Tim Jones BTW I'll pass on Corey's wireing skills

Attached Files:

2. skull

skull

neat build, definitely tuned in for this one:D

Later :cool:

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks,, Your truck your building as a tribute to your son looks pretty good, Glad to see you are finishing it , I had a 53 chevy that had a nova sub frame years ago that thing drove great,,,, Tim Jones

4. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Yep that was it make sure you move him he's been shittin on the parts:mad: NOW!! Happy Birthday Pappy:D

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well today didn't go as good as yesterday, Just wanted to get the peddles mounted, I cut the mounting plates off the firewall on the old cab to make mounting easy ,, So much for that idea:( after tacking and untacking the main mounting plate trying to find the sweet spot where the steering doesn't hit the valve cover and the brake booster is under the hood, I finally decided to take a break till tomorrow after work I got it close on the last try, this would be alot easier if this truck had the Hyd booster instead of an air booster I'll probally go out there tomorrow and hit it first try, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Bob ,Doesn't your mollasses tank clean Possum shit?,,,,,, PAPPY? Your older than me:eek: Tim Jones

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Made alittle progress tonite, added a few inchs of lenght to the steering shaft, Then decided no matter how hard I tried leaveing the mounting panel for the brakes,slave cylinder,and steering column together it wasn't gonna fit on this firewall and still beable to close the hood, ,,so I seperated the steering column mount from the other two, I'll have to change the steering hanger under the dash ,,but it all fits now, Just have to weld the firewall back together after it's all tacked in place:D, , BTW note to self don't put a frozen pizza in the oven and go out to the truck to take a quick look and think your gonna remember it:( Tim Jones

Attached Files:

8. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Must be a pizza theme, here is the pic of you welding the colum with pizza box shims. Looks good ( not the pizza ;))

Attached Files:

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Pizza boxes are a .050 shim, Everyone knows that:D

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Today got the firewall all tacked and welded back together, Might not be pretty but it works for me:D, Also got the radiator and support removed today ,I'm going to lower the support for hood clearance for the radiator , I'll also have to redo the fan shroud, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Forgot to mention ,I was telling my friend Gary about the clearance probs I was haveing with the stock brake booster, He said he had one of the 7 inch dia, boosters he bought fo his 55 Gasser he's working on, He didn't like how it looked so he said he'd make me a deal on it, So I changed to the smaller one, Made fitting everything a hell of alot easier,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

12. olcarguy

olcarguy

Looking good Tim...I've got a 86 f150 4x and a 46 merc p/u cab...gives me some ideas I'm telling you that me son.

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good luck when you start, Lots of fabracating on this one so far, but that's OK didn't think it would just fall into place:D,,,,,,, I got the foot feed installed and the mounting hole where the two wire looms meet on the firewall , started to figure out the wire loom under the dash , but the afternoon heat kicked my ass today,,,Tim Jones

Attached Files:

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the steering column mounts all done, and made some cab mounts,it was harder to move the cab back and forth to drill the frame for the mounts than it was to get the cab up on the frame:mad:, but it's all mounted up now,, still sorting out wireing,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Being the cab was mounted solid now and the steering and pedals were in soild, I hooked up the batteries and started it up before locking down all the wireing,, all went good til some dumbass ran it outa fuel:(, but here's a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i1SIFbuKEw&feature=youtu.be ,,,, Tim Jones

16. olcarguy

olcarguy

That's the advantage of using a running donor, you know it was running and if it doesn't.... it is probably something you did.

17. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

HA you ran it out of gas!!!! Geez your stupid. Oh wait, I once left the tire iron in the tire. So I'll just shut up now.

18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam tim! do you ever stop? im tired watching ya. keep going but watch that heat, it will get you. i went to the meltdown last weekend, and about 4 people hit the ground and it wasnt that hot. watch your self.

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah makes it easier to track down problems,, Tim jones

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

GAS!! I wish it would have been gas, Diesel brother,, Time to prime the filters and bleed the lines, Yes I am stupid:confused:, By the way Randy, your still a big pussy for not doing your magazine:D,, Tim Jones

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Don't worry Rich I'm in vampire mode doing alot of work on it at night,Nice and cool,,, By the way how's the dragster coming?,, Tim Jones

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Haven't updated for a while ,Had one of my dogs, Buddy missing for about a week ,,any one that know's me ,knows that when something is wrong with my dogs everything gets put on the back burner, Happily he was found alittle over 7 miles away, Now on to the truck, Made some inner wheel wells , mounted the starter relays and hardware to a plate on one, next was fitting the radiator mounts , had to lower the radiator about 6 inchs to clear the hood and narrow the lower support to fit between the frame rails, lots of trial and error, next was a test fit of the grille section and fenders I'll have to build a skidplate to help protect the radiator, Luckly the push bar will hide all that ,also had to move the batterys to behind the cab,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

23. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Lower bracket looks like it'll work probably stronger than straight up n down.
    Starting to look like something what I'm not sure! :D

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah Bob I ended up haveing to split the lower raditator saddle and change the upright brackets we did the other day, lots of, well shit that didn't work out on this project:confused:,,,And Yeah starting to look like something not sure what either but as long as it hauls the race car in the end that fine with me:D, Tim Jones

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Had to fix a few wiring problems , Here's a quick video of the test startup,, All worked fine ,plus works out better when I put fuel in the tank:eek:, Now I can start buttoning up the dash,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkZWowaqgo,, Tim Jones

26. olcarguy

olcarguy

Looking good Tim. figure as long as the rad is not below the diff and you don't do any crazy off roadin all should be fine.

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah the diff is still lower than the radiator ,so with a skidplate ,the push bar , and me useing my head for something other than a hat rack when I drive it:eek: , all should be fine, Tim Jones

28. carmuts

carmuts

Looking good compared to the pile of metal I dropped off. Your making short work of this one. Rod

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Rod, Tho it doesn't seem like short work, seems like I take one step forward and two steps back sometimes:D Tim Jones

30. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Buildt a storage area for the ramps and a saddle to hold the batterys ,plus makes a platform to build the sleeper /storage box behind the cab, Should have the side pieces done tomorrow,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files: