Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

If it's any consolation, I used the burnt copper on this 216 motor.

[​IMG]

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks good man, I have a soft spot for these Pontiacs.

I'm not crazy about the giant bullets on the hubcaps, but that's just me.

Olds trim looks cool :)

You'll be happy you ditched that straight 8, I had one in my '51 Pontiac for two years, driving it daily and it ran good, but it just didn't have nearly enough power, not to mention it got around 9-10 mpg.

This 400 should move her down the road just fine ;)

3. SoCal

SoCal

You and me both! I haven't seen it yet. :D 4t6ford on here is the kind chap doing the jag front and rear ends and did a bit of multitasking the other day and threw it on in my absence. And they said men couldn't do two jobs at once. Heading over tomorrow so will be sure to take a camera.
    Yours looks perfect though, was a good call.

Mo, that looks great. The polished stuff sets it off really nice.
    Mine is no where near as cool, I'm going to use the word "purposeful" haha. So nothing polished, intake and valve covers all getting the copper and a black caddy air cleaner will hopefully offset the orange onslaught. But all this is hopeless without pics...

4. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

That burnt copper is still a cool color man, I dig it. SoCal, is it in the car in you're avatar? It'll still look cool man. If the engine is still out you could always dust some of the gold over it, if it doesn't have the clear coat on yet. It's great paint went on my flathead lovely.

5. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Mo, excuse me for saying this but that is siiiiiiiiick!!! Looks great man, the color is awesome!!

SoCal LOL.. make sure and post a few pics, I'd love to see it.. Oh and we could definitely do more than one thing at a time.. we just choose to let them think we cant.. HA!

+1

6. teejay99

teejay99

I'm not a GM guy but I am admiring your work and effort in this project . It's really looking good !

7. 4444Design

4444Design

lookin' good

subscribed

8. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks 1951Streamliner.. I only added the bullets on the front covers for that very reason... I'll see what it looks like when I put the front clip back on. As it is I'm considering the slightly shorter version... and if I don't like it Ill just pull them off and send the drilled covers to the rear :)

I'm actually really excited about the swap, the engine should be firmly mounted by Saturday. I cant wait man! :D

9. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

SoCal.. here a couple of better shots of the engine... please excuse the mess...lol... just about everything NOT painted will be replaced, polished, or plated :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as for an update, I placed an order for Sanderson headers... I'm getting them in plain steel. I wasnt brave enough to cough up the 500+ for the coated version.. which I figure I'd ruin anyway if I need to modify.

I must say that looking at pictures of them, and by the measurements they provide on their website.. It looks like they might just fit with little to no modification (wishful Thinking) either way I'll keep you posted :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  10. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks fellas... .:D

11. SoCal

SoCal

Reread this thread today while I was supposed to be working.
    Man, that olds trim looks cool. Good score with the motor too. It's going to be a hell of a car when done.
    Just talking with Rod (4t6ford aka the multitasking Jag man) and I won't head over till next week now so not much to show and tell yet. But to be honest, I'm the uncool one with the SBC so it's not like I'm going to be popping the hood much anyway. If nothing else the radioactive glowing orange will just be handy for advising me when I spring an oil leak. That said, after seeing 'Mo's efforts suddenly the finned covers on the shelf might need some paint and polish.

Cheers guys, inspiring thread this one.

edit...ps - yep that's roughly what my car looks like. Just imagine that in lots of pieces in three different towns. Ha

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks SoCal... and hey.. there is nothing wrong with running an SBC, around here it's probably the easiest and smartest way to go.. specially for a driver..

13. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, ESP! And so's you know, The next one got painted the same gold color as your motor! ;)

14. missedmyexit

missedmyexit

Looking good man, keep us posted! Doing the same swap in my 53 poncho deluxe. Is your tranny a short or long shaft?....Real killer work right there, I needed this thread!

15. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hell ya, another '53 on the road would be awesome.. There isnt nearly enough of these babys rolling around...I guess its both good and bad..lol.. You should post some pics, I love to see it.

To answer your question about the trans, till now I hadnt cared to notice so Im really not sure.. Guess I'll find out Saturday when I pull the engine to get the mounts welded ;)

Oh and thanks for the compliment!

16. mob53

mob53

When you get a chance, show some pics of the mounts you had built. I'd like to see what you came up with.

What rear end are you going with? Or are you gonna try and run it stock?

17. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I'll most definitely do that...

as for the rear end.. I'm looking for a 2ng Gen Camaro, but I'm going to use the stock one for now.. I know I'll probably end up blowing it eventually.. I figure I'll swap it when I get ready to do the 4 Link..

do you have any suggestions on a rear end? My decision isn't set in stone, I've just heard and read that's what works on my application..

18. repeater

repeater

'57 Pontiac rear end is the desirable one. Tougher axles, comes in posi-traction, direct bolt-in.

19. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks for this repeater.. I wonder how tough it would be to find one... you wouldnt happen to know what the gearing is on it would ya? Having something that will be able to take the abuse of Los Angeles freeways is key..lol..

20. mob53

mob53

I found it hard to find '57 rear ends. I ended up going with a '66 chevelle 10-bolt that I got for $75. It's the exact width but it isn't a drop in replacement, I'm 4-linking mine though. Mine has a 3.08 gear ratio.

21. banginona40

banginona40

Neat car!! and some nice work too!!

22. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

nice motor and color, this is the frame of my 50 catalina and my 400 poncho motor
    [​IMG]

23. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Loving this build! Great to see a poncho going back in. I had a mild built 350 with 15 heads on it in my firebird years ago, was a great setup, good power and averaged 15mpg with it. 53 Catalina is on my "Before I Die" list to own. :)

24. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

ok see, that's great to know... It gives me more options.. I'll be 4 linking mine also and I figure that's when I would like to do the swap.. That way I could do it all at once.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  25. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thank you, I really appreciate the compliment! :)

Old Iron Nut.. Your Chevy is nutz man, I cant imagine what you would do with a '53 Catalina..lol...

26. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

This right here is sweeeeeeet.. I would have loved to go at it this way.. but lack the know how.. or the funds to find someone that does. Even though I'm trying to do as much as possible on my own.. and I am learning and doing, I also lacked the balls to attempt it...LOL..

27. SoCal

SoCal

That's pretty. Is that current or is there a build thread somewhere? Cheers

28. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Thanks! I love most of the stock body on the Catalina, would be subtle stuff for it, definitely bags, WW's, and a very nice interior would be on my list.

29. SoCal

SoCal

30. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Oh yeah.. I've seen it at a few shows in the area. To tell you the truth that car is what sealed the deal for me.. When I found my car I immediately fell in love with it, however I did a google images search to see if I could find any customized Cats and that was one of the first to show up. I was SOLD...lol..

So you're on my boat when it come to the Catalina.. I'm doing a few subtle tweaks when it comes to trim but Im leaving the body alone.. doing the same with the interior, stock patterns but I may get a little creative with the fabric for the seats ;)