Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Today was bracket fabrication day. First on the list were the rear fender support brackets. They stop the fender wobbling when the Hemi is rumbling. :D I drilled some holes in them for good looks, not that many people will ever see them again.

Next was the battery support bracket. Now I could have called Summit, but that would have been too easy. Got me some thick pieces of metal, cut them to size and drilled some holes in them. Then went to the store for some ss rods, washers and butterfly nuts and test mounted it on the battery. Came out perfect! Once again, not many people will ever see it, but hey, that's life.:D

Attached Files:

2. farmer12

farmer12

Ooh, you're 3 months ahead of me. I started work on mine in december 2009.

Regarding the paint/body shop, they will be starting on the small stuff soon. They just don't have the room at the moment for my body. As so often occurs, the planning phase always goes slightly different than planned.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti! The Porsche is indeed still blocking my spot. So, the plans have changed. Once I've finished the last odds and ends of fabrication and test fittings, I'm going to remove the body and store it at my friend Barts shop. This will take place this coming week. I will then have easier access to the chassis, where I'll been making a few minor changes and drill the holes for my brake, fuel and air lines.

Then next month I'll have the chassis back in my garage after it has been powder coated. I'll then turn it back into a rolling chassis. When the guys at the body shop have room, they'll do the underside of the body. Once that is done, I'm going to bring them the rolling chassis and we'll mount the body onto it. From there on, they're going to start their work and the body will not have to be separated from the chassis again. Makes sense?

4. farmer12

farmer12

Got a call from Ron the blacksmith this morning that my driveshaft safety loop was ready. Turned out perfect! Test fitted it and marked it on the chassis.

Next was to remove the steering column, dash, brake booster setup and the garnish moldings. I'm bagging every set of nuts and bolts and my storage box is getting full! Then I drilled a few holes for the airride frame and a few for the brake line. The car is now ready to be lifted off the chassis.:D

Attached Files:

5. So do you ever look back on all of your pictures to see how far you've come?? Seems like yesterday you were working on redoing the chop! Definitely reaching another exciting stage in the build of your car.

6. farmer12

farmer12

I look at a few pics every now and then.....time seems to fly. I made a rough estimate on how much time I've spent on the car and it's already approaching 1800 hours, not including thinking and planning time. By the time I've finished the car, I guess it will be a few more hours....

7. farmer12

farmer12

Well it was finally time to move the body out of the garage. Another milestone. My friend Bart came over with his trailer and with the help of a few friendly neighbours, it was on the trailer within 20 seconds. Tied it down and drove 5 miles to Bart's shop. Took a few scenic pics while I was driving behind him. Lifted the body off the trailer and we placed it in the corner, where it will sit for the next month or two. I'll still do a few minor things to it while it's there, but I'll need to first concentrate on the chassis next week. More progress on monday!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

8. Cool shot with the windmill in the background. I also like the little forklift thingie.
    I've been following along and always check on your progress. I'm impressed with your craftsmanship and "no fear" in tackling the challenges that arise.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Woo Hoo! Big step here! Are you going to paint the frame and do all the brake, steering and suspension work now? Great time to detail it!
    I too like the windmill, looks pretty cool yet somehow your car fits with it.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Farmer 12.Still following along.Just gets better all the time.RE:paint application schedule."The best laid plans of mice and men tend to get screwed up".Not a direct quote,BUT it fits.Been there a time or 20.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you charleyw! It was quite hairy with the forklift though.....the forks of it aren't that long, so I stood in the driver side door opening in order to balance it. My extra weight did cause the rear wheels to come off the ground at times while we drove it the 30 meters. Got it done without scratches though!

Thank you OahuEli! Yes, it's chassis time now. I still need to do a few things to it before I it's ready for powder coating. Unfortunately like all companies here, they close for 3-4 weeks during the summer. This means that my chassis will be coated half way next month. Patience is once again the operative word.

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hell yeah,that sounds like real good plan.I am sure that it will save some time.I've planned to do it same way.When the body is sandblasted and painted(primered),i'll stash it somewhere and concentrate on frame work.
    Its easier to work in small garage,when the body is not on the way.Keep it up!

13. plmczy

plmczy

It's been awhile since I last checked in here. Keep up the great work, looks like your moving right along.

14. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

The light at the end of the tunnel is nearer. Great thread and build.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you gentlemen! The good times are going to get even better. I'm coming to a phase of the build now to which I've looked forward to for quite a long time.:D

16. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's awesome, Eric.
    It's great to see you're still having fun with this build...after all, that's what it's all about! :D

17. Julia658

Julia658
    BANNED
    from usa

I told my wife, "Come look at this sinister looking '41 Coupe." She said, "That is BADASS!" She's right, it is badass! Have fun with your build and keep us posted.

18. metalguy

metalguy
    from down south

What an inspirational build thread. Great to see you're enjoying yourself! Just spent 3 days reading it all and all I can say is WOW!!! Keep up the awesome work. Subscribed.

19. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Keith! Unbelievable that I'm still enjoying it so much after 3.5 years of building this car. Do you think I've caught the bug?:D

21. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

Hello. I'm back, just catching up on your build. The car looks awesome dude! Now that is a lot of hours on the build. I need to catch up on about 50 pages of your thread.

Good news for me, not to steal your thunder, but my project was finally picked up this morning on a Flatbed, headed for my fabricator! Yippee!

Glenn

22. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Looking good Man!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you metalguy, glad you're enjoying the thread. Thanks for the kind words!

Thank you.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Eric looks like you got a lot done, havnt had a chance to look in recently as had a few issues to get over on my build, glad I did though as its looking pretty awesome !!!

25. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Haven't checked it out here for a while but I must say it's looking very good. Still can't wait to some color on it. Keep up the great progress!

26. farmer12

farmer12

The first parts have been dropped off at the paint shop. Mark(paint), wants a small amount of parts each time, so he can hang them all in his paint booth and finish them. Once they're done, I'll take them home and bring the next batch. This way parts don't get lost/damaged in the shop while sitting in a corner.

Also drilled and threaded holes for the running boards and the new driveshaft loop. This all took a little longer than anticipated, as I had to bike across town a few times to find stainless M10 bolts in various sizes, along with the associated locking nuts. Got it all done though!:D

Attached Files:

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress again,Eric!
    I guess one source for special bolts or nuts could be a motorcycle shop,that is specialized for builded bikes.Keep it up!

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn. Can't wait to see some more pictures of your work. Good to hear that you're still working on it!

Thanks James.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Started off early this morning trying to find the routing for the brake line, in and around the mounts/obstacles. Drilled a hole every 8 inches and tapped some thread in to them. The driver's side is done now. The passenger side will be easier as it will only run from the from wheel to just past the cowl, from where it will enter the cabin underneath the dash. The front brakes will split just after booster/canister, each going their own way. The rear brakes run via the driver's side frame to the rear where it will be split.

Next was the fuel lines. Got the return line done, the main feeder will be done tomorrow. Also on the list are the air lines, vacuum pump and hose and the electric wiring for the airride sensors on each wheel. Plenty of work left to do!:D

A little side note: I bolted down the brake and fuel line just to make sure it would fit following the intended path. All will be removed again before powder coat.

Attached Files:

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve! I've been following your build thread closely and seen you deal with the issues in a great manner. What's that saying......2 steps forward..

Thank you Mick. I sure am trying to keep the ball rolling regarding the progress!