Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inspiration: a Naked Miller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Jul 14, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's how they looked. Bob :)

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't want to say anything that may take away from the quality of this project, I believe it is the early version of the Sampson car that used the V-16 that was in the Frank Lockhart LSR Stutz sponsored car that crashed at Daytona. In the late 1930's the V-16 went in a new single seat chassis, that version is in the INDY 50 collection. Bob

3. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I had no idea real race cars had chromed frames.

4. Is this the engine Miller and Lockhart built for the Blackhawk? I know the engine went into an Indy car after his wreck at Daytona Beach.

5. That is awe inspireing

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just when we're about to be full of ourselves for the fantastic detail on the hot rods we build along comes something from the first part of the last century that bitch slaps us back to reality. This is what we find at the intersection of mechanics and art. Neither persuasion wins............just enhance each other.

Frank

7. pitman

pitman

There was one, or very similar to it, in a baby bootlegger boat up to Laconia, NH. had a pair of centrifugal, polished blowers up front.
    I could not tell where the carbs were mounted, in the original pics. Anyone?

8. khead47

khead47

Miller was a mechanical god.

9. noboD

noboD

Proof that tools don't make the mechanic. Thanks for the pics.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Killer Mike... thanks for Posting.

11. deuce354

deuce354

A few years at Indy they had a limit on the amount fuel you could use for 500 miles. This was a effort to slow the cars down. I think it started at 45 gal. Then dropped to 37.5. Miller made the tank like that to get every drop out of the tank. Yes a thing of beauty!

12. pumpman

pumpman

Un-freaking believe-able! I won't be able to stand up for a while now.

13. does anyone have a pic of the front with the axle shafts installed?

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Beautiful, magnificent craftsmanship!

15. Damn! You'll put somebody's eye out with that!

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Best I can do. 1927 front drive.

[​IMG]

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Holy crap!
    No, I mean it - holy crap!
    That is just a work of freakin' art
    Thanks for sharing

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Mike, Thank you so very much for these photos of the Miller. That is one very nice and is enough to keep me on drooling all over it. Looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.

Dave

19. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

I think I'll start wearing a tie to work if it gives ya skills like harry had ,that is a thing of pure beauty !!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I wonder what the people who say this is over restored would do if it were their car?Would they leave it as a pile of grimy pieces in wooden crates and cardboard boxes?Then say "oh what do you think of that patina?".

Me,I'm not ashamed to say I love the shine and sparkle!It's beautiful.

BanjeauX Bob

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  22. Super88

Super88

I was also there on Friday and Saturday and the in-progress Miller and Mecum's Miller are both beautiful cars. I kept looking at that round fuel tank wondering how many hours were involved in making that one part.

23. guitard

guitard

Over restored? Maybe if it was one of my cars that level of detail would be ridiculous. But on a Miller? You're asking if that remaster took away from Coltrane's tone; you're asking if hiring the real Sinatra to sing at your daughter's wedding was a bit extravagant. Nope. It's mechanical sculpture of the highest we will ever know. It's the pinnacle, the apex, the... the... oh wait, I can't seem to slide out from under this desk!

24. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I have a 1930 Barron with no body work ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373950344.849129.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dear God! Let's see, right click save, right click save, right click save, right click save.... Every time I REALLY look at a Miller I just loose my mind a bit more. How could something THAT beautiful have been as effective a speed weapon as it was? I just can't wrap my head around that...

26. Retrorod

Retrorod

Absolutely what I'd classify as "jewelry"...automotive jewelry.

27. Harry Miller - Americas´answer to Bugatti.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man!! That is so awesome! Thank you for posting that. I'm only sad there aren't MORE pictures! HAHA! Millers have some of the most inspirational mechanical details...

29. It might be "overrestored", but this is a car that deserves to be overrestored. Patina is fine unless you're talking about a Faberge Egg.

30. Here are some more pics of Dana Mecum's #27 V16 Miller to go with those great ones '327-365hp' posted. It was at the Millers at Milwaukee run as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]