Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I'll be watching this one. '53-4 Pontiacs aren't seen too often as customs; too bad, the long nose really sets it off.
    How are you going to mount the Olds taillight lenses - put them in the Pontiac bezels or french them into the fenders?

2. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

The taillights fit perfectly inside the stock bezels.. the only thing is they dont have the lip necessary to hold them in.. So Im just going to use the holes on the lens and drill through the factory housing :)

And I agree.. I dont see many of these as Customs, many restos but few Customs. Mine wont be anything crazy, very mild at best.. but Ive seen many Olds, Buicks, and Chevys for inspiration!

3. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

"Quick Update" Well fellas, I got the engine home this morning and and I started looking for numbers to confirm what it was.. The guy I picked it up from said it was a 350, and while I had my doubts I took his word for it. Now that I finished doing a little homework on it, it turns out its a Pontiac 400. Needless to say I'm just that more excited and eager to drop it in...
    thats it for now.. I wish you all a very pleasant day ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I had a little bit of time over the last couple of days and I managed to pull the STR8 and clean up the frame a bit... I'm wondering if the few of you that have done a big block swap could help me out and point me in any direction.. Id love to see how yours were mounted. I'd really appreciate it.. I guess I lack the imagination.. Have a wonderful weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Looks nice and clean now, can't wait to see that motor tucked in there:cool:

6. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

thank you, I can't either.. Unfortunately I lack the skills needed to create mounts for it. But the great news is I have someone coming during the week to take care of that for me, I'm hoping it'll be in by the end of the week :)

7. blktie

blktie

You've nailed it with the trim. I just tossed out my earlier ideas. That look is perfect. Now I need to start hunting.

Jack

8. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks blktie... I wanted something that was going to make it look sleek.. when I saw the trim on the Olds 98, I thought it was perfect so I took a chance and started hunting. I'm still missing one piece, but I'm sure I'll find it soon enough. I am however very satisfied with the look :)

9. mob53

mob53

Lookin good man! I would've never thought of that trim but it looks great. I put a 400 in my 53 but I'd have a hard time explaining how I did it. The mounts started out as a set I got from Scott's hot rods but I had a hard time figuring out how to weld them to the frame because there isn't much room in front of the steering box. So I hacked them up and focused the bracket towards the big crossmember and it worked out much better. Plus, it's easier to get to.

[​IMG]

10. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

mob53 you got yourself a sweet ride man, thanks for this, this will surely help my Fab guy.. The gentleman I purchased my str8 from had done an SBC swap on his car (52 Catalina) and used what I believe he said were stock 54 Chevy mounts modified and bolted to his crossmember.
    That made sense to me, but being that the 400 is, well, BIG! LOL for the mounts to line up they would have to be right about were the steering box is. Now that I see you did what you did to mount them on the crossmember also, will really help. Again I really appreciate you posting that picture ;)

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

looking good man. I dig the new fender trim.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  12. I like your touch of class for the little lady !

13. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey thanks fellas, Its a learning experience but Im loving every minute of it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I never "lean" on anyone's cars, let alone if they're finished or not...but I think you were trying to say "learning."

The Poncho is looking good...and you'll be happier with a V8 instead of that flathead...!!!

R-

15. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Damnit!!! I guess my reading is as bad as my typing.. I usually proof read before I hit submit..HAHA!!

Thank you for the compliment... and I'm sure I will, I'm actually glad I decided to go that route!

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You've gotta be one of the few around here that proofs before hitting submit then...

Most times I get: "I'm a car guy, I don't have to know how to spell or use correct grammar/punctuation."

I question why in hell are they on a computer/forum then...???

I really like you using the Olds trim on the Pontiac...that'll have 'em questioning it.

R-

17. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Well my grammar isn't the best. I never went to college and didn't pay much attention in English class in high school..lol.. but I try ;)

I do know exactly what you're talking about though HA!

As for the trim, I figure only Olds and Pontiac guys will figure out what I did, and even then they might not notice. They'll just know something is different :)

18. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Not much of an update but here you go. Yesterday I met with the gentleman who's going to fab the brackets for the motor. Cool thing about this guy, is he also drives a 1953 Catalina. Any who, we agreed on terms and he'll start work next Saturday. I had a sometime last night and today and started work on the Firewall.. I figured It would be a good chance to see the color I'm going with, actually on the vehicle. Glad to report that I'm satisfied with it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  19. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hello fellas, Hope you all had a great Holiday weekend... I've had some down time and decided to play around with my wheel covers. I like the Caddy and Olds version, and will eventually purchase a set of either to switch things around..

I've always thought my stock '53 covers were pretty neat, and I'm surprised I haven't seen them on anything else. I suppose the embossed "Pontiac" script acts as a deterrent...Either way, here's what I did..

[​IMG]

20. mob53

mob53

Badass!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks man, glad you approve.. I feel the bullets work well on there :)

22. SoCal

SoCal

Nice choice of colour. But then I would say that!

23. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

LOL... thanks SoCal. I definitely wanted that color for the body from the start.. Ill be using a Red Candy for the roof and interior :)

24. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

25. SoCal

SoCal

That isn't VHT burnt copper on the motor by any chance?
    Looking good man

26. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Same colour I used on he Merc mill in my roadster. Very classy colour.

27. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks fellas, I love the color... I think it will go well with the Vanilla and Candy red scheme I'm planing for the car...

and SoCal.. It is VHT, but Gold.. I almost went with the burnt copper, but it was a little to much on the orange side for me ;)

28. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Its a great colour. I'm probably gonna use it on my wheels to tach the engine.

29. SoCal

SoCal

Thanks for that. I've got a couple of cans of copper being thrown at mine today, have the same concern with the orangey hue but was hoping yours was too and I'd feel a bit more confident in my decision :D Damn! Oh well, we'll see...

Cheers.

30. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey SoCal, how'd it come out? I'm anxious to see it... Don't get me wrong, I liked the Burnt copper.. But since my car is going to be Vanilla and a Candy Brandywine, I felt gold was the better choice.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013