Register now to get rid of these ads!

POLL: Filled cowl vent Yes? or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleet-master, Jul 14, 2013.

?
  1. Cover over the hole

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Find or make a new lid

173 vote(s)
    95.1%
  1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi guys n gals, my F1 has an almost non-existant cowl vent lid..although the channels on the cowl itself are ok. I'm thinking of filling it .

Should I make a new lid? or cover over the hole? :)

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like the idea of keeping the cowl vent myself. I live in South Carolina where the summers are warm and sticky. Nice to have the option of letting some air in.

I vote KEEP just for the practical application more so than the look part of it.

3. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

An operating cowl vent sure improves interior temperatures in the summer.

4. How hot is it in Outram?

5. Deuces

Deuces

It's almost as good as the hillbilly air conditioner in the newer F- series pick'em ups...
    The sliding back window...:D

6. Looking at the weather map today its gonna be kinda of cool,,6 degrees Celsius and about 43 degrees Fahrenheit.

But if it's like here in the states it gets hot and a cowl vent is a plus,,now way I would cover one. HRP

7. I filled mine (pre HAMB), really wish I hadn't.

8. I use my cowl vent most of the time. It sure helps to be able to circulate air around your feet. I have a tilt-out windshield too but I like the vent better.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I also voted on having the vent open...
    If anything, you could use it for a RAM-AIR setup for your motor...:D

10. Keep the cowl vent you will use it and will be glad that you kept it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  11. Keep the cowl vent, it's part of the overall appeal of these old cars and trucks..in addition to the practical side.

12. Part of the charm to me and well worth the time or the dough to keep it! Plus it's fun watching my bride keep her skirt from blowing back.

13. n847

n847

Wow...I thought I was on my own with leaving the cowl vent! I love mine. In fact I'm going to have to find some parts for the slide brackets to make it work a little more smooth.

14. Ralph

Ralph

Wish my 40 Plymouth still had one....
    Keep the vent. They make a huge difference in interior comfort.
    Ralph

15. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

If its got A/C I guess you could fill it, but I use mine everyday I love fresh air, I would never fill mine, same goes for people that change to one piece side windows. I love my wing windows.:D

16. Keep your Factory Air! :D

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

I live in Florida all mine does is BLAST hot air into the car. That being said no way would I fill it. Too cool looking. Maybe in the fall it will be useful.

18. x 2.

19. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

I vote to keep it. You'll be glad you did!

20. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Original A/C! and looks cool. Keep the vent.

21. Dennis D

Dennis D

I installed a Brookville setup in my f/g car just so I could get some air circulation in it. Dennis D

22. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Learn from others mistakes.
    I love a cowl vent.

23. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

I bought a 32 chevy coupe years ago that had a filled vent. My wife and I drove it on a 100 mile trip in 90 degree weather and were MISERABLE. NO AIR would flow through the car even with the windows down.

24. I love a cowl vent. Its better than air conditioning. I have owned my car twice. First bought it in 1975 and someone had brazed and leaded over the cowl vent and I had to reopen it. I bought it back again last year and someone had again closed it off. Now I have to open it up once again..:mad:

25. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I love the fact that my '32 has a functioning cowl vent. I had an old coupe once that had the cowl vent sealed up and the first thing I did was open it up and make it work again. It does help with air circulation and sometimes even hot air moving is better than stagnant hot air, IMHO.

26. I would think someone here might have a cowl vent,,,try posting a wanted ad in the classifieds. HRP

27. VENT Looks and Functionality!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  28. I love the cowl vent on my 35, I vote keep it... you'll be happier for it !