Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old guys to the rescue - anyone remember the B&J overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardV8, Jul 13, 2013.

1. PackardV8

PackardV8

An internet search has returned zip. Any old guys here recognize this?
    [​IMG]
    I've got one which reportedly came from a GM pickup. The input has a D-shaped 6-bolt pattern, with the two bottom holes outside the circle. What is the TH400 tailshaft bolt circle diameter?
    [​IMG]
    The adapter on it has a 5-bolt 4.5" bolt circle. What is the bolt circle of a GM transfer case?

The input shaft of the B&J is splined both internally and externally. The internal spline and the output spline appear to be 1-3/8" fine spline and the external spline of the input shaft is 2" coarse spline.
    The speedo input is standard square tang with screw on cap - look like an older GM to anyone?
    [​IMG]
    The overdrive is about .75.

jack vines

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

Thinking back, I remember the Columbia 2-speed, the Hone-O-Drive, Tom Beatty T10 overdrive, the US Gear and the Gear Vendors. There have been several who tried to give us aftermarket overdrives, but guess it just ain't that easy to make a good one and make a buck.

jack vines

3. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I bought a b&j overdrive from a 55 Chevy street racer from the early 70s.
    Think I paid 75 bucks for it,thought that was a steel.
    I ended putting it behind a m -21 with a custom adaptor I made and welded to a extra extention housing I had.
    I kept it so if I blew it up all I had to do was replace the extension housing and I was back to normal.
    Gave it to a buddy and it disappeared when he sold the car.
    I still have the adaptor to put that behind a turbo 400. A 400 has a 4 hole pattern,this adaptor is 4 holes on one side 6 on the other. The same unit I had.
    If you want it it's yours.
    Been in my basement for 15 years. Just pm a address.

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

^^^ A TH400 has 6 bolts on the tail housing, not 4. ???

I've never seen one of these before. Hope you don't need any parts for it...lol.

5. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Come to think of it your right my bad it is for a th350. The splines are the same for a Muncie and a th350 not a 400. So my adaptor fits a 350.
    Offer still stands if you can use it.

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

Thanks for the info, Gary. Can you share any recollections of how it was to drive and how well it worked?

The unit I have doesn't seem to ever have had the shifter installed. How did you shift yours?

Thanks again, and I sent you a PM on the adapter.

jack vines

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

Just got a PM from a member who remembers riding in a truck using a B&J OD unit controlled by a stick coming through the floor. The driver always started in direct and only used OD for cruising.

jack vines

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

So yes, the input side bolt pattern is the same as a TH400 tailshaft and the input spline is same as a TH400 tailshaft.

But no, there is still a 1" gap when the TH400 short tailshaft bottoms in the input spline of the OD unit

Research continues.

jack vines

9. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I had one in a 1966 427 ford fairlane hooked to a c6 many years ago . I bought it new in 1982 and did the install. It provided the advertised 30% overdrive but was a nightmare to engage .
    Mine was controlled by a cable and took quite a bit of finesse to get engaged .
    The other issue was chasing vibrations most likely caused by bad angles in the driveline . That unit and it's adapter made the transmission quite long.
    They also ran very hot since they didn't hold much oil.
    There are better ways now to get overdrive in your car. I for one would never use a Batten B&J overdrive again.

Pete

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

Any clue if this Batten to whom you refer is the same C.J. Batten who developed the 4V heads for Chevys?

jack vines

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had one in the early 80's, behind a switch pitch 400, in a 79 vette. Fit, believe it or not. Used a marine Morse cable to shift it, which was a slow proposition, up or down. Let me drive the highways, and still have the low gear downtown.

My unit was a direct bolt to a 400, but as I recall (?), there was a very short adaptor to what you show. A turbo 350 took a longer one, so I swapped in the 400.

I went on to other transmissions, and gave it away to a guy doing a Riv, which had 400.

I was told, but don't really know, that B&J build dirt track boxes, in and out, and 2 speed.

Garage art now.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know, but i have B&J parts on my race car. They make some really serious Lenco type transmissions. Try
    1-866-781-1064 toll free

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I assume this is the same B&J that made a lenco-like planetary trans for drag race applications in the early seventies? Ken Van Cleve had one in his P/S Duster. Pic to follow.

14. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Don't know. I learned of the unit through a magazine article in Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rodding in 81 or 82.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was just looking at a brand new transmission and quick change 2 days ago.

16. PackardV8

PackardV8

That's sort of what I'm figuring out, that there must be/have been different length input housings for different trannies. Mine must be from a 4WD.

Hi, Rich,

I knew the old guy would come through sooner or later. ;>)

Was this new/new or NOS parts?

jack vines

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Brand new. They are in SLC. Strasburg Top Fuel racer, ex Gas Lakester racer owns the operation.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Strasburg qualified 13th in T/F at the Mile High Nationals.

19. talladega

talladega
    from Wisconsin

I am considering using one of these I've had on the shelf for quite a while. What type of lube does it require?
    Thanks

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think ATF. But you might want to call Strasburg. I seem to remember Bob getting some special oil for his. But that would have been 25 years ago.