Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 steering column issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hydroshawn, Jul 13, 2013.

1. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

I've tried looking thru some threads but really didn't find much on this issue.

I installed a 1951 Merc motor with a 1939 tranny.

the issue is the left rear corner of the motor is touching the stock 1929 column housing.

any one come across this issue & how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. or to far rearward. can you get the passenger head off?

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mine was like that, it just interfered with the outer mast housing. I notched the housing for clearance I think I also shimmed the motor up a touch too.

5. woodypecker

woodypecker

The model a has teo different column drops. One is attached to the tank the other is attached to the cowl. It is easier to move the one attached to the cowl around. The one attached to the cowl also is safer it does not fatique a crack in the tank.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's got his column hanging well below the drop, and it's still touching the head.

7. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

WOW!! great info guys! I got rained out at work today so I've been scouring on pictures.

I did find that most people are using F1 boxes & removing 1 to 1-1/2 inches between the housing & the bolt plate.I didn't want the column to be too far off on any angle side to side

8. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

So I could cut the one on the tank (or leave it) and go with the something different & notch the steering column housing as well?

9. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

what with and how much did you shim?

10. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

It is possible that it might be too low. my mounts are welded under the frame lip. I'm using an F1 center crossmember for my 39 tranny to the model-a rear.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Lots of pics in the build thread that is in my sig. Switch it to an f1 box. I tried to use the stock box in my build and it was a disaster. F1 box is fairly cheap. And it makes the car handle soooo much better. Don't waste your time , just switch it