Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SERET SPEED SPORTS CAR UPDATE #5 the lost update

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by seret, Sep 7, 2012.

1. seret

seret

yeah! I think he can make it happen! Hit a snag on the roadster, my wife needed a commuter car and we just coulnt bring ourselves to buy a new car, so I built her a 1973 Volvo p1800es wagon this past year. put a Honda S2000 engine and trans in it. not HAMB friendly stuff. but its almost done then back on the roadster...I Hope

2. Your a good man to put the most important items in sight; and walk the walk, talk the talk ! Hang in there MS.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny... I was just thinking this morning on the way to work that my anxiety is killing me. I know JJ has been making some arrangements to get the buck and chassis out here. We've talked a lot about it and he has plans to do this right and pay the ultimate respects to what you've started. Going to be awesome to have it out here!

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

It'll be nice to see some new energy working away at that beauty.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice save Jeffery!

6. Good one Jeffy, I had thoughts on doing this car as well but dismissed them before I even picked up the phone.

7. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Good to hear there is some closure on that project.
    Would have been a bummer to see it parted out.
    Such a massive project for one guy.
    I've got this Jaguar book (paul skilleter) that has a good chapter on the C-type.
    Has cool pics of the tube frame and hood construction shots.
    My builders imagination runs wild whenever I read over it.
    Then I realize they had a whole team and also a sheetmetal contractor to build them!

I dug that volvo/honda that was a sweet ride!
    TP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks guys! Yeah I plan on working closely with Matt in seeing this thru with his vision. I've got Eric Black on board to do a rendering and consult with some design aspects as well as some really talented friends to help on the metal shaping aspect.

It's not going to come together quick by any means but it's definitely on the radar as something like this is a dream for me to tackle. I've told my wife since we got married that one day I was going to be up her ass (figuratively) about owning some sort of old open sport car. Whether it was a corbra kit, devin body or perhaps a C1 corvette. This really is a great opportunity to fulfill that dream and idea that keeps me awake at night.

Only real change I see is I'm probably going to do a 265/283 Chevy engine with a t5 behind it and some 180* headers to make it bark appropriately. I even found an unmachined Inglese 4 Webber intake that would be perfect on it. I'm going to try and keep everything pre 1960 except some stuff that no one cares about. I'm really hoping to do it justice and pickup where Matt left off.

The timeline is probably going to be loose. I'll finish up my '33 and then start messing with this as time and funds allow. Might even sell the '33 to fund it who knows! I'm just so stoked I can't even contain it. I've been chewing ScooterMcRad's ear off for about a month and a half going back and forth on ideas!!!

Thanks again, stay tuned.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep on with the ideas and the bench-racing! I'm all in to support! Such a great build!

10. So cool, happy to see it moving along.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

No, but that would be perfect for the Dogfight Forum.

http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/

I would have loved to see a build Thread about it there...

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think the plan I had for it was the following...

>High Revving 301 Chevy with some sort of cool intake and carb setup.
    >180* Headers built that mimic old Stahl's
    >Magneto perhaps
    >WC T5 Trans
    >Torque Tube Adapter from Crazy Daddy O
    >Ford Banjo Rear with V8 Quickie and 9" axles
    >'48 Ford Wheels with Beanie Caps and Firestone Indy Tires (would love spokes if I can afford them.)
    >Red Painted body with Silver or Black wheels
    >Brown Leather interior with matching Brown leather hood and trunk straps
    >3 Spoke Steering wheel that mimics old Bell but with a teak wood ring
    >Set of Early SW's with smooth Bezel gauges. I have a 5" tach already for it that I'll mount crooked like an old sports car. :D
    >Somehow make a gated shifter with white ball knob

That's what I've conjured up in my mind this past month. Paying for all of it will be just marginally more difficult. :D:D:D Luckily the thing that breaks the bank a lot of time is the engine and rarity of parts. I should be able to build the engine (minus webbers) reasonably and if I play it really smart should be able to pick up the gauges at the right price. The rear is going to be the part that will cost the most I think. I'll have to budget this out this winter once the '33 is either running or pushed aside.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and lastly, I'll definitely be casting or machining a badge for the hood and steering wheel that looks like this....

[​IMG]

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Looks very nice so far. Nice to see you are gas welding the ally. I gas weld all my panelwork.

Great work on the racer too.

David

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Dang JJ it's always fun to watch your chit cause you think it and actually do it.
    I love the parts list,
    but i'm gonna bench race with ya a bit since we're here.
    Not sure what MS's original plan was for this,
    but would he rule out an early style indy suspension?
    There are tons of versions and it seems like the sports car aspect would benefit,
    although a beefy quickchange would be cool.
    Seems like for a fraction of the money a torque tube and halibrand would cost,
    you could modify a jag suspension and get some curve performance.
    Would even be cool to remake some of the pressed metal pieces,
    and make them more forged steel or shaped aluminum (like the 80's corvette)
    With the money you save you could buy some bitchin magnesium halibrand kidney bean rims!

Anyway just throwing out some seeds.
    Alot of thinking is gonna happen from now til then I'm sure!

TP

16. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Me too !!!!!!

17. Jeffy, think about dual quads. I memory serves me right w/o looking, that's what Reventlows Scarabs ran? Much easier to attain, in fact I have a setup that I think dad wants to sell!

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

JJ, you're killin' me. I can't even tell you how jealous I am.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. The real Reventlow Scarabs run Hilborn fuel injection.

20. Then I was wrong!

21. seret

seret

no way COOL!

22. Now Jeffrey, you KNOW that you'll need to bring the Seret Spl to Road Atlanta :D

Here's the Scarab injection:

Attached Files:

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yep Yep!!! I definitely want to carry the torch Matt, not start my own fire. This will be the Seret Sports car period. I just gotta get my skills up to do ya proud! Again thanks for entrusting this project with me.

Brandon should be coming to get it this week or next. He's got everything he need to build the crate.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rad!!! That is a sexy setup. I even like the vette covers with the name machined off.

25. I have a couple mini breathers that would work perfect like that if you need them?

26. n847

n847

Damn JJ I can't wait to see where this goes! What an amazing start and its good to know someone who has the appreciation for what it should be is taking it over! Is this why scooter has been tagging you in my knock off wire wheel pictures on instagram?

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!! Yeah, we keep saying Borrani's are too rich for my blood but the lure of a spoked wheel is undeniable! I really like those D Type Jag wheels with the holes in them form Dunlop. Wonder how safe a set of '48 Ford wheels would be with holes drilled in them haha!

[​IMG]

28. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Tig a short sleeve in the holes if your worried about it.

Elwood

29. Here's a treatment I did on a mopar 15" wheel to look sorta like the Dunlop wheel.

Attached Files:

30. Dropouts

Dropouts

Very impressive. I hope you have a speedy recovery