Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Average age of the Traditional Hot Rodder (poll)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jul 12, 2013.

?
  1. 25 and younger

5.8%
  2. 26-39

22.5%
  3. 40-60

38.8%
  4. 61 to almost dead....

32.8%
  1. 327Eric

327Eric

One thing to remember in terms of the Hobby, is that this is poll is limited to H.A.M.B.ers. I'm 42, but my brother is 28, and is following my footsteps.(giving him a 59 ford 2 door when he was 16 helped) While the trend seems to be moving up in years, Many people on here in there 30's and 40's were into the mini truck/VW scene in the 80's and 90's,and didn't get into traditional rodding until later. Throw in the Muscle car and Honda guys who may have a change in views later, and "Rat Rodders" who are in a similar group as us, who change their tastes to better builds, and the numbers may not seem as bad.

2. I'm 41 and have been into cars since around 9. Mostly old dudes at the local shows - 60+ years old.

3. Bill,at your age you need to focus on one project at a time,,I suggest the roadster.:D HRP

4. I'm 25 until Feb, with that said I feel the responsibility comes down to the younger guys teaching our kids and their friends about what we do. My daughter is 3 and is already interested in tools and "fixing" everything. She is pretty good at identifying different tools also, it wont take much prodding for her to be interested in rods.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My friends are all car guys, but I'm the hot rodder of the bunch. There's an older guy close by with a couple Deuces, but he rarely takes them out. So, I guess I'm a lone wolf as far as that goes. After turning 45 years old, I hunt cougars now. Though the have knowledge, they are slow and unsure. Easy prey.

[​IMG]

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm 33. I believe the future is fine. The younger guys that are into traditional cars seem to be pretty hardcore about it. There are some dudes in their 20's who's knowledge is scary. It's not about age but how obsessed you get.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Totally agree. At 37 (38 in a couple weeks), I'm not young but I'm not old either. There are some younger guys who just have the magic touch when it comes to cars and the knowledge to make 'it' with every car they touch.

8. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

to be traditional don't you have to be borne before 1964?

Attached Files:

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In that case I just make the cut, at 50.

Or rather, I've been trying to get to 27 for the past 23 years ...

10. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

25, on my second ground up build... I'm obsessed! You guys got a lifer out of me...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. That's why most of us are much older .More money and thime to piss away

12. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

I will be 73 in another month, bought my first r+c mag in 1953 and havn't stopped yet. My friends that have hair, its grey.

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'll be 30 this year, time for my mid-life crisis!

I try to pass the proverbial "traditional torch" to the younger generation any chance I get.

I think the magazines such as Car Kulture Deluxe and Old Skool Rodz are actually helping get younger people into our hobby, even if at first they are all about Rat Rods. I feel they will eventually outgrow that phase and move onto more finished traditional cars. Atleast thats how it worked for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, I tried to purchase a set of spindles from a guy in his mid 60s with a '40 Ford who had recently went Mustang II. I told him I was going to another guys place to buy a steering box. He said "what you using? Corvair or Vega?" When I told him its a '46 Ford he just kinda snickered at me. Once I told him nothing on this build will be newer than 1955 he just shook his head.

14. KIRK

KIRK

70 and still wrenchin and cruisin.

15. 66 next Wednesday the 17th. This stuff helps to make me feel like 25.

16. skinnydude

skinnydude

65 not dead yet but working on it . 50 shoebox and 63 chevy II ragtop , another old fart !!!

17. I'm 27, and I'm the youngest in my bunch.
    Liking it this way though. Learning a lot.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

54, getting old. I retire in 6yrs, maybe?

19. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

34 years young, with old cars all over. They seem to keep me going, kind of provide therapy, and sometimes really t you off. Building a 30 coupe on deuce rails now with my brother who's 37 and my next project is a 29 roadster to add to my fleet of A's. I agree that it seems there aren't a lot of us younger car guys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. that's cuz the younger guys are at work or school and can't play during the day :D

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

22. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

36 here, bought my car when i was 22 and never looked back. Now I want another one without selling my current car.

23. I'd say that most are in the 40-60 range. But I voted my age - 25 or younger!

24. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

68 retired and enjoying life taking celebrex for these old knees. been a hotroder all my life and enjoying our 26 coupe we have had for 15 years.most of my friends are in their 50s and am glad tosee younger folks involved in the hobby/sport.thanks for doing the poll i think it was needed...........

25. Deuces

Deuces

I used to "bang" gears pretty quick when I was a teen...:( Seems lately I've slowed down some...:(
    53 here...

26. cederholm

cederholm

46 - but I can still yell at the kids to get off my lawn!!

27. I'm at work,,or was at work when I posted! :D HRP

28. 36 here... Most guys I know are my dad's age. I say most, there is a bunch of guys my age or younger here in Texas.

29. buckd

buckd

It's more fun when your old enough to afford building more than one car at a time for yourself. I'll be 65 in Nov. At the moment Iv'e got 10 running drivers. With plenty of time to drive em. Fortunately my mind and body don't know that they're supposed worn out by now. But I suspect thats coming! In the mean time I'm in my shop at 6:am every morning rain or shine A/C or heater blasting fabricating and customizing til I can't no more. BUCKD

30. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

52 tomorrow, I might grow old, but I won't grow up!!!!