Register now to get rid of these ads!

Busted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Oops, forgot to add picture with post #90.

Attached Files:

2. With the 55 added to the mix I'd say you have a nice trio of trouble.........and fun !

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I got pulled over recently doing 95 in a 65 by a CHP in my 1970 Dodge Challenger and gladly took the ticket. :)

He asked me if I'd been drinking, to which I replied "No", of course...

Why was I smiling?

45 seconds before they got me on radar I had been doing 154 mph... :D

4. Deuces

Deuces

Lucky you... He musta been on his coffee and donut break....;)

Did you ever end up putting rallys on that car???....:D

5. k9racer

k9racer

Speedway motors sells a add on turn signal kit and mech speed o meters. I happened to go through one of those bull shit D U I check points in my 48 chev. young cop wants to give me a ticket for not wearing seat belts. I tell him 48 chevy did not have seat belts. His reply " All cars have seat belts" A older cop told him correct info and sent him on his way.. To quote hamb member Dr J " Power is a dangerous drug"

6. CalGasser

CalGasser

Yes, lots of fun but you gotta have an extra eye and constantly scanning for the heat...

Where the heck can you go 154? That's honking!!!

Huh? All my cars always ran 5 spoke mags.

Good on you! You're right, sometimes a little bit of power goes through one's head! I'll check into Speedway's turn signals, thank you. :cool:

7. diamond dave

diamond dave

I bought a couple good tom tom GPS units at tiger direct.com for around $55 , brand new. One for me and one for a present. They work great and go from car to car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. belair

belair

Love the car, Gasser, but innocent isn't the look you gave it!

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What I don't understand is, if the cop has someone pulled over and is checking out your car, how does he know if the speedometer is hooked up or not, unless he runs beside you while you drive along ? I realize some have an odometer, but even that can be altered with an electric drill.

I have never gotten around to hooking up the speedo in my 27 for the 25 years I have owned it, the odometer still reads zero. :D My tach works great I and I know exactly how fast I am going by using it.

Don

10. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hey redline, that's a beautiful ride you got there! Have you seen the '39 Stude in the latest Hot Rod magazine called "the Boss"? I saw it in person at the Hot Rod Homecoming show in Pomona and gotta say it's very well done! Thanks for the feedback and ideas! Vic

11. 59 brook

59 brook

fox body mustangs had t-5's and mech speedo

12. CalGasser

CalGasser

Hey Don, you got nice cops in Florida... your state is probably not in the red like CA so not desperate like we are to get $$. Regarding the speedo issue, I told him I drive with the tach (2,000 rpm = 60 mph) and he tells me technically a speedo isn't required but an odo is - but as we all know, it's easy to alter that. So the issue isn't about the speedo but the odo and you can't get an odo without a speedo - or at least I haven't heard of one. BTW, my speedo lense is painted over so you can't even see the gauge so nothing to show even if I wanted to.

All my cars don't have a working speedo/odo and my Willys have been on the road over 25 years :eek:, always driving with the tach. I usually never speed when I'm cruising as the cars are geared low so engine's screaming to go 55 - except now with this 55 which has a T5 tranny that makes it so nice to cruise in.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Without effecting the originality of the build you can buy some of those small LED's that can hide in the grill area. As far as the mufflers, the baffles should be good enough shouldn't they? That's all a mufflers are, just a bunch of baffles. Put two small nerf bars on the front. All of that crap should be pretty cheap and easy to do.

Is there anyway you can get out of the ticket by just explaining that you were taking it to a shop to get it fixed or that it broke while you were driving?

14. CalGasser

CalGasser

Yes, I'm looking to make the corrections as inconspicuous as possible without affecting the old look of the car. I told him I had baffles and that to him wasn't good enough so not sure on what he was thinking. I may just stick on a couple of glass packs on the end of the collectors just for the inspection to satisfy them then remove them after.

Basically he said the car was illegal to be on the road in the condition it's in without the required devices and could be impounded - don't know if that's true of not or if he was just sticking his chest out.

The fix its are easy fixes but the speedo thing was my biggest obstacle though I may now just stick on a cable and replace my speedo lense so they can see there's a speedo there. Vic

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You're lucky he didn't get you for modified exhaust. That would be a fine and a fix-it. BTW, if some of you didn't know this, if you're caught for the same violation, you can get cited for failure to comply, which is a fix-it, fine ($150) plus one point on your record.

16. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Ric for the heads up! I wondered what would happen if I continued to drive the car around before the due date of the repairs. There's a show I wanted to take the car to tomorrow but was hesitant about driving it so thought about trailering it (which is a hassle). So now I know... You ever bust anyone for a "fix it" when you were on the beat?

17. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

You are right CalGasser! The state is gonna go get that revenue anyway they can!
    BTW all you guys, if you are planning on driving your rod to Southern California, make sure your tires and suspension are in good shape because we have the worst roads in the nation---our potholes will swallow you up
    ! :mad:

18. 327Eric

327Eric

19. CalGasser

CalGasser

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Get an emergency operating permit, those red stickers you see in the window. It use to be $13 but I don't know what it cost now. They are used for when the car needs repair so you can drive to a shop. They are good for 3 months.

21. 1959apache

1959apache

^^ Smart guy

I can't believe they charge $13 bucks for that.... I am pretty sure the r-tards out here would just accept the explanation that I was driving it to get it fixed.

22. seatex

seatex

Dayum, Republik of Kalifornia!

23. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You drove that up to Morro Bay?

I bet your ears are still ringing.

24. CalGasser

CalGasser

Ric, where does one go to get those red stickers?

Huh, what you say? :D Seriously, I trailered it then drove it around and up to Cayucos - it's very street friendly.

25. chubbie

chubbie

OK, the odo is required in Cali. In Iowa....(its no where close to cali) you just sign a paper that says it's NOT actual miles. thinking about the cali law that says have to have odo, so miles always show how many on the car. HARSH!!!!! They make liers out of good people!

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

DMV. My buddy use to use them to drive his race car on the street since it wouldn't pass smog to get it registered. :D Matter of fact, my neighbor has one on his '64 Dodge A100 right now.

27. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Only wrote "fixit" tickets for real safety violations along with the moving violation that I stopped him for in the first place (being a smart ass only made me press harder on the pen) :cool:

28. Tanks Man! Me n that old Stude bean together almost 30 years! 42 Coupe very rare only seen two other both racecars and both in magazines.That Boss is waaay cool with a history as well and I have seen (and I think talked to owner) this car as it was being redone and I think twas here on the HAMB! I LOVE YER Cars but I am an info hound so tell me alllll about them if you would....What motors-trans how fast etc,history,how much street driven....I drive my x-D/G car ALOT on the street with a 11-1 383 Liberty faceplated TKO 600 4:88 Olds. I have surpassed the limit on the ring and pinions tho and am gonna put a 9" in it as much as I hate to...3300lbs 7500 rpm and drop the hammer! If you know anyone looking for a good 4-link Olds I will have it for sale this winter! MMark Williams 35 spline spool,Fabcraft axles,billet cap,5.57(new) and 4.88 gears,billet yolk all only 2 years old.Also have stock 31 spline posi,31 spline Ford axles to fit thi rear.More infor if you want....

Attached Files:

29. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

30. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

I also got busted but I ended up find'n an Auto Meter(speedo) that fits into a Sun tach cup. Have to drill hole for cable.. Looked Ok but ended up geet'n a real good deal on an Auto Meter Speedo same size as their mosta tach so I changed it...